Sign in to follow this  
Axle

0-6-0T Irish Terrier Engine

Hi everyone! Today I am sharing an updated version of an old MOC from 2013 ! It's based off an Engine from a long gone railway in my hometown, a GSR J26, or Irish Terrier as the type were nicknamed. It's a turn of the century tank engine, that operated on a branch line that wasn't connected to the rest in Ireland. I'm quite proud of how far its come from its first incarnation, which can be found here :

Without further ado, here it is ! 

20200809_214305.jpg

I got Big Ben Brick medium wheels as i found the official Lego large scale wheels looked great but made it monstrously large.

20200809_214158.jpg

Newer pieces of recent years made for nice rear windows, those 1 x 1 round tiles.

20200809_214213.jpg

And finally the engine from the front solo. Those smaller 5 link chain pieces are great!

20200809_214228.jpg

Thanks for looking ! Please let me know what you think!

Edited by Axle
Added link.

This is a nice little build - got to love a an 0-6-0T :wink:. The cab and tender portion look a bit chunky and out of proportion with the rest of the engine - perhaps you could give it another go using more subtly-shaped pieces.

The best touch on this model is definitely the use of magnifying glasses for the front windows. Very creative parts usage and they fit perfectly with the scale. Lovely MOC and thanks for sharing!

10 hours ago, jimmynick said:

The cab and tender portion look a bit chunky and out of proportion with the rest of the engine - perhaps you could give it another go using more subtly-shaped pieces.

Thanks! I agree that it does look a bit chunky at the rear, but on the real engine the cabs were modified to be larger, to hold more coal I believe. Heres a photo.

26046974924_8d66683d5c_n.jpg

My wheels could be a stud or two spaced apart to better match the real thing, but I wanted it to be functional on curves and points. 

Looking good. The use of the straight slopes gives it a classic train appearance. I would agree that the cab looks chunky, but if anything the prototype looks even chunkier. Also neat to see your coupling system in place of magnets

13 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I like the use of black tiles on the sides to give the right proportions :thumbup:

Not only that, but now that you mention it, they are also covering the top of the wheels, similar to the prototype.

As others have said, it's got a nice classic train look!

Why not show your MOC on brick.ie? Looks like you signed up a while ago... ;-)