Ayrlego

[GoC] Cavalry Stables, Port Woodhouse

As the conflict against the Lotii in the New Haven Sea continues, cavalry are being increasing used and these units need to rest and acclimatise to the tropical conditions before reaching Spudkirk or Brickford Landing. For such a purpose, Port Woodhouse has proven a perfect location and has become an important staging point for Corlander forces heading eastward. To facilitate these troop movements, a number of new structures have been recently completed including a cavalry stables. Here both the troopers and their equine mounts can rest and recuperate after a long sea voyage. Horses transported from the old world need time to adjust to the very different conditions in the settlements of the new world and even though most of the horses being used by the Corrington Army in the New World are now bred in or around Elizabethville; the milder conditions on Lacryma mean the horses still need time to adjust to the conditions further east. Port Woodhouse is less humid than nearby Jameston and being that Garma's Key is a much smaller Island, most of the island enjoys a cool sea breeze at night. Coupled with the fact that there is no real jungle on Garma's Key; conditions for acclimatising horses in Port Woodhouse are ideal. 

Here, some troopers from the 2nd "Duke of Greenbourgh's" Hussars can been seen in one of the stables maintained in Port Woodhouse. These stables are purpose build and the cavalry stationed here receive the very best care.

50205101466_ac39d18251_c.jpg

My final submission for GoC category 'Red Coats Rule'. I have plans for a series of stables in different Corlander settlements similar to the Queen's Birthday Parade series I did last year. This time; however, rather than 16x16 builds they will be 48x48. So I definitely won't be doing all 16 settlements, but I do have plans for a few more, with Elizabethville next (I really should have started with Elizabethville, where all our Corrie horses come from..!)

An additional view from a slightly different angle:

Spoiler

50205376582_a735a573c8_c.jpg

I am also experimenting with a new photography set up and playing with a new toy (a speedlight for my camera). The lightbox I was using was taking up far too much room and for a 48x48 build like this really wasn't working. If anyone has any tips, happy to hear them! I've based my set up on the example given by Gideon here. One problem is Ikea was out of the larger grey blinds, so I had to settle for a temporary 60cm one, which was far too short. Hopefully the quality will improve for my larger builds when they get a the bigger ones back in stock. 

While I have separated the yellowishy white bricks from the clean ones (and thrown them away), you use them to create an amazing texture.

A very good idea, and having those stables to acclimatise makes a lot of sense.

Great MOC, my personal highlights are the vegatation at the edges of the build, and that lovely staircase at the right side. Wonderful work.

And that haycart - wow!

Edited by Elostirion

Youhouuu !!

Another wonderful one ! Those stables are great ! This curved design for the walls works really well.

The horseman on the right side steal the show ! He is perfect ! What a nice hat, what a nice suit. Exceptionnal !

Wonderful build, absolutely top notch! :thumbup:

There's lots to like here, but I'll point out the subtlety of the ground detail, and of course the use of yellowed white bricks to advantage.

I'm also likely to steal that profile at the ends of the roofs for my own purposes. :pir-grin:

This is a great build, I really like the layout with three levels of roofs.  The landscaping is also really nice, with the tiles and plates mixed subtly together.  And of course lovely color for the roofs and the red shutters complement it well!

A nice build with lots of interesting details, the hussard looks good too.

Beautiful. The layout is excellent and the overall building design is superb. The various minifigs look great and I appreciate the realism of the man cleaning up the horse manure. I also really like the larger size of the build. Great work.

Wow! Everything of this build is superb, from the overall structure to the color scheme. Great job!

Another excellent build! Great details and liveliness everywhere and I just really love that Zorro-style architecture.

This building is beautiful and perfect. I particularly like the construction of the roof. I can see and recognize a lot. The top? How did you build the roof?

A really impressive, yet "classic" build, well done. You never cease to amaze me with your builds! :pir-classic:

On 8/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, Ayrlego said:

I have plans for a series of stables in different Corlander settlements

The WTC would be delighted to have something like this in Mesabi Landing. We can offer you excellent property right next to the slaughterh... some restaur... the main street. :thumbup:

Thanks all for the comments, I really enjoyed this one!

On 8/15/2020 at 9:00 PM, Darnok said:

The WTC would be delighted to have something like this in Mesabi Landing. We can offer you excellent property right next to the slaughterh... some restaur... the main street.

I actually hadn't thought of Mesabi Landing as a location... but now that you've mentioned it the idea of a fortified stables to protect the horse flesh from all those hungry WTC marines has a kind of appeal!

On 8/15/2020 at 4:12 AM, NOD said:

The top? How did you build the roof?

The roof is just a serious of 1x1 round bricks joined with plates. The top section of the roof is joined to the building by a 1x1 brick with a stud on one side conecting to the 1x1 round bricks in the centre of the roof. Along the centre line of the roof then are a couple of 1x1 bricks with a stud on one side that connect to the top plates on either side creating the 90 angle. The lower roof is done a bit differently. It has a couple of hinge plates in the top plate layer that connect to a pole on the inside that has a brick with a stud on one side at the top. Does that all make sense? Unfortunately I've already pulled this one apart but I can photograph a demo next time I use the technique if it helps?

27 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

The roof is just a serious of 1x1 round bricks joined with plates. The top section of the roof is joined to the building by a 1x1 brick with a stud on one side conecting to the 1x1 round bricks in the centre of the roof. Along the centre line of the roof then are a couple of 1x1 bricks with a stud on one side that connect to the top plates on either side creating the 90 angle. The lower roof is done a bit differently. It has a couple of hinge plates in the top plate layer that connect to a pole on the inside that has a brick with a stud on one side at the top. Does that all make sense? Unfortunately I've already pulled this one apart but I can photograph a demo next time I use the technique if it helps? 

Thanks for the answer, I'll try to understand. A demo would be great.

This is a great build that obviously fits into the Port Woodhouse style. I am impressed with the building and of course you have done a great job on your figure posing. I am intrigued on the way you assembled the officers hat though I don't have those parts so I won't be replicating it. I do notice that the horse stalls are about 1 stud too short so you had to get creative in fitting them in there with there feed troughs. However, great work overall and I love the build.  :thumbup: from me.

Loving the shingling, the Ground texture, and the attention to detail. The whole build comes together amazingly. :thumbup:

My one comment is the old style horse looks a little off next to the modern one.

You know how to do roofs, mate! :grin: :wub:  Those, along with the curved gables and stone corners give the architecture some definite character, and the red shutters and mottling are fantastic as well.  The greenery in the corners - especially the palm tree and the creepers climbing the wall on the right - are the perfect pop of color, and the cart of fodder is a great design.  All around excellent work as always!