Update after switching differentials,

Model still drives, 1st is fine for driving around, crawls okay, and can cover carpet no issue, 2nd is fine for medium resistance driving, thick carpet, short grass, etc. Anything more and it doesn't have the torque. 3rd gear is fast! Drives along at a good lick, will drive with minimal turning on carpet, works best on hardwood, tile or pavement. Can still drive and dump well and has not impacted palatability much IMO. Now I can use these diffs I'm locking axles for an off-roader, better suited to rough terrain than the volvo would be with it's low hanging nose and drive train. The back two diffs were a snap to change the front one required a fair bit of disassembly to get it swapped. 

Would look much better if the bonnet is raised by 2 studs and bigger wheels used. I still have not increase the distance between the rear wheels and they are rubbing.

Edited by ikdo

23 hours ago, ikdo said:

Would look much better if the bonnet is raised by 1 stud and bigger wheels used. I still have not increase the distance between the rear wheels and they are rubbing.

truck1.jpg.bc3bf9a8ecd0c3287d705017a032af40.jpg

Edited by ikdo

On 1/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, ikdo said:

Would look much better if the bonnet is raised by 2 studs and bigger wheels used. I still have not increase the distance between the rear wheels and they are rubbing.

I did that.

130740511_1327177900978019_3473463211184

Lockdown induced boredom swung me back to Lego, for the first time in 35 years. 100% Technics so far.

So my tiny winy little mod for the 42114 Volvo Hauler is to get little better off-road capacity. A variant of this Limited Slip Differential.

I slid two small rubber o-rings into the differentials. Seems to work ok in my test trip out into the snow on the balcony. Also seems to work ok driving at the living room floor. Turns ok.

DSC_0096c.jpg.2041796114ef23c2cf1df66dbd68c759.jpg

On 8/9/2020 at 1:21 AM, Verodin said:

Simple mod; Replace the red 16T gears in steps 38 and 58 with the standard grey 16T gears and 3L axles to reduce friction.

friction%20gears.jpg

May I ask if you are using the 3 with stop axle or the normal axle (light grey).  thank you

On 1/19/2021 at 6:29 AM, curakar said:

Here is may MOD

What pieces did you use to make the load in the dump bed?

Edited by kiwimtnbkr
Edited to capitilize the first word of my sentence...because apparently Maaboo35 felt slighted that I hadn't....

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

And please begin each sentence with a capital letter. Thanks!

capitals are overrated lol

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

NO THEY'RE NOT!

Speaking of overrated (well not really but who cares), I'm still a bit bummed that I haven't seen anybody remove the gearbox and mod this set with proper suspension :cry_sad: I'd be the change I wanna see in the world, but I'm in no position to buy this set.

EDIT: OHP never mind lol, just found a video of it with suspension:

Edited by Bartybum

5 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

mod this set with proper suspension

I tried to do it but it will weaken the rear structural integrity.

6 hours ago, suffocation said:

Nice suspension mod on paper but in practice it's supported by a one-beam-thick structure, which is wisible.

One solution actually built is worth 100 talked about on forums but never achieved :wink: 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:38 PM, mpj said:

Done!

Reduced by 2 studs in every direction.

(snip pictures)

Sorry for the bump;

Do you have more pictures for this MOD on the dumper? Looks much better than original!

If you still have it built, can you take pictures of the underside also?

Thanks

On 10/11/2021 at 2:29 PM, Countdown said:

Sorry for the bump;

Do you have more pictures for this MOD on the dumper? Looks much better than original!

If you still have it built, can you take pictures of the underside also?

Thanks

They are the only photos on my phone, I will take some photos for you in the weekend, please send me a private message as a reminder :wink:

I have written a Pybricks code for controlling 42114 using 88010 Bluetooth Remote. Both manual and automatic gearbox modes are available, so the functionality is similar to the one offered by the smartphone app. Detailed installation instructions, operation manual and the code itself can be found at https://github.com/repkovsky/technic/tree/main/42114-volvo-articulated-hauler, below I attach a little demo.

@Tcm0 I noticed you are collecting remote control programs for Technic sets on your Github, you can include also link to this one, if you want :).

If I had this set I’d be all over that code, well done it looks like it works a treat. And great to share it for others! 

this is what should come with a set like this, analogue controller and all ready to go.

:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Can you actually steer this thing now?

I think steering is now much easier and more responsive - at least for me smartphone app has an annoying lag when it comes to controlling Large Angular Motor. The problem is actually in the motor itself and quite large momentum required for turning the hauler. It is rather hard to perform precise turning for the given angle with such high friction and load. In the case of Bluetooth remote turning is always set to maximum range, so precision is not required and motor can be rotated faster and more robustly.

22 hours ago, Repkovsky said:

I noticed you are collecting remote control programs for Technic sets on your Github, you can include also link to this one, if you want :)

Thanks for writing the code and thanks for notifying me. I added your repository to the readme :)

If anyone wants to check the codes for other sets out: https://github.com/Tcm0/PybricksRemoteLayouts

Edited by Tcm0

Suddenly I discovered a pretty interesting alternative: