Sign in to follow this  
Hod Carrier

Roller-Coaster Track and Narrow Gauge Reloaded

When the roller-coaster track was launched a little while ago there was some discussion about it's suitability for use as narrow gauge track. The conclusion drawn at the time was that it was only for limited use and that any powered models using it would need to conform to certain design features. As a 4-wide builder I decided to invest in a small loop of the stuff and see for myself what the limitations might be.

50202828097_39521373d0_z.jpg

Perhaps an early entry for the title of "Most Incongruous Thing Seen In LEGO Trains 2020". Click on the image to run the video.

In order to get the TRAXX to run I did have to make a few small modifications in order to permit the necessary degree of bogie articulation. Therefore the side panels have been lost, some extra plates added over the bogies to prevent them fouling and causing derailments and the LBG plates added to the sides are there just to prevent the battery from being flung out. The consensus is that the wheel flanges need to be on the outside of the rail and that the model needs to grip the rails also, as some powered models using this track system do. But here the TRAXX runs perfectly happily with the flanges on the inside. 

The traction is acceptable even though the track feels very smooth to the touch. Any derailments experienced were down to the bogie articulation which, once fixed, could be easily eliminated. Otherwise derailments only occurred if the track came apart or excessive speed was used. I will just note that the TRAXX was less happy with the powered bogie trailing, but I suspect that this is more to do with the design of the bogie itself. There was some high pitched squeaking from this direction which leads me to believe that it is caused by the bogie being turned against the direction of the motor rotation.

I'd like to think that the potential applications for this track system are still to be explored, but it does seem that there is scope for more experimentation and the use of some slightly larger models than have been seen to date.

Edited by Hod Carrier

Thanks for sharing your insights. I keep, toying with the idea of a narrow gauge mining style train on one of the mountains on my layout and this kind of track would be ideal as it’s very easy to put in that setting. The “sleepers” could easily be buried under ballast, old coal and rubble.

I think my problem with it is that I simply cannot see any but roller coaster track. Track is weird like that - it's so simple, yet we spend a ton of time staring at it; more, arguably, than any other part of our railroads. It's undervalued in a way.

I think the only way roller coaster track would work for me is some form of street running. So you bury the center under plate pieces and only the rails show.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

I think roller coaster rail is only useful as a construction element for buildings, masts, catenary..etc. Straight pieces looks quite like a framed steel structure beam.

Steel truss... Might be a better description.

Edited by Selander

I agree that this track system is certainly limited in it’s usefulness, but I don’t think it should be written off. For light rail applications such as industrial narrow gauge or trams/trolleys it does have some merit.

My own conclusion from this quick test is that anything designed to run on 4-wide narrow gauge track can also run on roller coaster track, provided that it has sufficient articulation and a short enough wheelbase (the TRAXX has a 5 stud wheelbase on each bogie). You don’t even have to have the flanges on the outside or the train clipped on to the rail.

@Selander I don’t disagree that there are other uses to which roller coaster track can be put, but it can also be used for its intended purpose as track for running trains on.

First, I'm really liking this proof of concept. I think @Andy Glascott is right that the tracks could be made a little less industrial and/or roller coaster with some creative ballasting.

For me, what starts killing the concept is the radius of the curves, particularly for real scaled rolling stock like yours. This looks comical going around those curves, which I know you realize. I think this solution could work for minifig-scale narrow gauge models that have a shorter length - maybe 8-9 studs max - to look a little less awkward on the curves. But then the struggle becomes cramming the motors, battery, and gearing into that much smaller footprint.

11 hours ago, TJJohn12 said:

For me, what starts killing the concept is the radius of the curves, particularly for real scaled rolling stock like yours. This looks comical going around those curves, which I know you realize. I think this solution could work for minifig-scale narrow gauge models that have a shorter length - maybe 8-9 studs max - to look a little less awkward on the curves. But then the struggle becomes cramming the motors, battery, and gearing into that much smaller footprint.

That sounds like a challenge. :wink:

Yes of course there would be issues with making rolling stock to fit, but I don't think that it is insurmountable. There have already been some very clever solutions to powered narrow gauge. Maybe the length could be a bit more than 8-9 studs, though. Looking at a lot of real-world prototypes they tend to have a very short wheelbase but a large overhang at one or both ends, so advantage could be taken of that perhaps.

An interesting experiment, thanks for sharing. I'm not surprised that it worked so well, but the next challenge will be figuring out how to make the track look respectable, at least in the curves.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:22 AM, Hod Carrier said:

I will just note that the TRAXX was less happy with the powered bogie trailing, but I suspect that this is more to do with the design of the bogie itself. There was some high pitched squeaking from this direction which leads me to believe that it is caused by the bogie being turned against the direction of the motor rotation.

I bet that has more to do with the length of the body relative to the radius of the curve. As the rear wheel is entering the curve if it is shoving the front will be pushed hard against the outside rail and put up a lot of resistance.