Sign in to follow this  
Verodin

New lego, intense chemical smell

Just opened up 3 bags of mainly yellow technic panels in the 42114 set (6x6 Volvo articulated hauler) and was met with an unpleasant and intense chemical smell. The smell dissipated relatively quickly though.

Since this is something that I haven't experienced before when opening Lego, I was quite surprised and wonder if anyone else has had a similar smell when opening new Lego.

The closest I recall happening in my decades of Lego-opening was more of a glue smell, and it wasn't too bad, just unusual enough to notice (and for me to remember now many years later).  The box clearly had more glue than usual applied when looking at the inside and I think one of the bags of pieces was even slightly stuck to the bottom, but I didn't think anything more of it.

If it was really intense, wouldn't hurt to mention it to Lego Customer Service so they can get the production code from your box and make a note of it.

I occasionally notice it with the larger tyres. I think they just smell different to normal lego, rather than necessarily  being intense.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:43 PM, deraven said:

If it was really intense, wouldn't hurt to mention it to Lego Customer Service so they can get the production code from your box and make a note of it.

Since it was only once I'm not contacting them. Seems they have enough trouble at customer service. Their response times are already ridiculously long, I don't want to add to that with this minor issue.