Snazzy Bricks

Is LEGO Overwatch a dead theme?

LEGO Overwatch had a strong launch wave, with 9 sets in the first year. Only 6 sets have been rumored for 2020, but it seems to me that the theme has died out... 10 Sets have been released total, but there's been no word or images of the upcoming sets. It would make sense for the 2020 sets to come out sometime before the Fall wave, but being August already, I think that there's little hope for the theme...

If the rumored wave ever does come out, it will probably be to coincide with the release of OW2 which itself has yet to get a release date, so we'll just have to be patient. Here's hoping it's not dead as we have yet to get several of the classic characters.

I think it's just too niche and quite expensive. Some of the sets are nice and certainly is nice with the different figs, but, I think the appeal is too low for those not currently involved with OW

2 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I think it's just too niche and quite expensive. Some of the sets are nice and certainly is nice with the different figs, but, I think the appeal is too low for those not currently involved with OW

It’s cheaper and better value than Star Wars, and when was the last time we didn’t get at least two waves of that per year? Still you have a point about it being niche. Limited distribution probably doesn’t help either.

3 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

It’s cheaper and better value than Star Wars, and when was the last time we didn’t get at least two waves of that per year? 

It isn't cheaper and better value than Star Wars. It totally depends on what you compare against what, and how you decide on value.

For example, this Overwatch set is exactly the same price as most Star Wars battle packs.

75970-1.jpg?2018110211122 minifigs, 129 parts

75267-1.jpg?2019121009584 minifigs, 102 parts

Which is better value depends how you value something. Personally I see better value in the SW set here.

This is almost double the price, but double the number of parts.

75229-1.jpg?2018121408303/4 minifigs, 329 parts

Whereas this is about 4x the price but has significantly bigger parts.

75233-1.jpg?2018121408304 minfigures, 389 parts.

But then this Overwatch set is about the same price as that one.

75974-1.jpg?2018110211120 minifigures, 602 parts.

I hope they make more! I've never played the game, but I'd always liked the general look of these. I ended up snapping up the entire line during the lockdown and I was not dissapointed. They're all interesting and unique, with each set offering up a slightly different flavor. And the minifigs! I don't know that Lego has ever offered up such a plethora of interesting new sculpts in a single theme? I would definitely be interested in seeing more of these.

Exactly what MAB said, and yet, how much of a following has SW got? Enough to justify the crazy prices... well, it did have... not so much recent times. Which goes to show how ridiculous it is for Overwatch... The last set linked (the mech) literally has no non overwatch fan substance to it, unless you like mechs. But even then, it doesn't appear that great, and there are better mech sets out there to buy than this one...

Edited by Fuppylodders

Never played the game either but grabbed the full range and I love them all. 

Bastion is an incredible build, with a nice transforming action and i'd implore you all to grab Wrecking Ball and the Watchpoint Gibraltar is one of the best none star wars space builds there have been in some time.

I'd like to see another wave as the designers enjoyed creating these models as much as we love them (see Brickset lists and interviews with the designers)