peedeejay

[MOC] Modular School

Hi everyone. I would like to present my 12th modular building: A modular school.

50192969956_366ae11fb8_b.jpgSchool_01 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192416583_6e23e95ebf_b.jpgSchool_02 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

This was quite a behemoth of a project. Roughly 200-300h in Studio and then about 25h for the build itself using the building instruction and pre-sorted parts. Taking pictures also proved to be a challenge, because so far the biggest model I had to take pictures of was always on a single baseplate.

For those who are interested, a building instruction is available at: https://rebrickable.com/users/peedeejay/mocs/

The build spans among 3 baseplates and consists of 10 modules. The baseplates can be separated from each other for easy transportation. The complete model weighs about 10kg and has 14417 parts.

50193225172_8e070dc204_b.jpgSchool_17 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

The front part contains the main entrance, some trees and a bus stop. The roof areas contain the ventilation units, photovoltaics and the clock.

50192969661_4899deeffe_b.jpgSchool_04 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192969196_245bfb89e4_b.jpgSchool_08 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50193226007_058f9beeac_b.jpgSchool_11 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192414863_d01da6cd5a_b.jpgSchool_16 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

The ground floor contains the main entrance hall with washrooms for boys and girls. The right wing of the ground floor contains a standard classroom for maths and literature. The left wing of the ground floor contains the music classroom, featuring a piano, drums and some other instruments.

50192967081_229f114562_b.jpgSchool_29 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192966391_df9f346444_b.jpgSchool_36 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192412748_e960d52059_b.jpgSchool_37 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192965886_c47334317f_b.jpgSchool_40 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50193222767_a19b8138c4_b.jpgSchool_41 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

The middle floor contains a cafeteria, where the students can get a quick bite and some refreshments. The left wing of the middle floor contains an IT-classroom and it seems the students are well stocked on mobile devices. The right wing of the middle floor contains the science classroom. At the moment some experiments are ongoing in the chemistry class.

50193222382_85a717c4b5_b.jpgSchool_45 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50193222162_3183672766_b.jpgSchool_47 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192964791_e6e29e7d39_b.jpgSchool_49 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192964291_9524212253_b.jpgSchool_52 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192964006_fbcb12ae66_b.jpgSchool_54 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50193220897_963eb6d4c0_b.jpgSchool_55 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

The upper floor contains the library.

50192963196_a680ce5dbe_b.jpgSchool_60 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

50192409678_b75c1e1eac_b.jpgSchool_62 by peedeejay!, auf Flickr

Wonderful build! The exterior of the school looks great, and I love how packed with detail the interior is.

Wow, that's impressive! Love the use of SNOT building techniques for the facade and the trees are a great touch too, but the angled railings on the stairs leading to the front entrance really does the trick for me. :laugh: The interior is spectacular as well, for a building this huge you totally didn't skimp on adding all the details!

A gorgeous building, inside and out!  Love the colours and the snotwork on the facade.

Wow, what a build! There’s so much to take in here and it’s all fabulous. Very well thought out and executed with an attractive colour scheme. The main thing that strikes me is the SNOT corners (apparently these are called quoins) - and it’s great you’ve integrated them well into the system of floors.

Vending machines, radiators, the bus stop at the front and the solar panels on the roof - all top off a great MOC! Thanks for sharing!

Absolutely brilliant!

Nice snotwork on the facade, I like the way you used the vertical plates to achieve the stonework effect.

The interior is stunning aswell, and I'll surely be back to pour over all the details some more. On first impression, the music and science classrooms especially caught my eye, and the vending machines in the cafeteria are absoltely spot on - brilliant design on those!

Simply amazing!  Great job on this one.  Love the amount of detail in every room!

Very good! So much to discover. I like that you've used the roof for some action.

The scale is most impressive. The design/color for the exterior looks visually appealing.

i like the variety. I always wondered how a modular school would look. I think this captures it.

Absolutely gorgeous in every respect - from the architectural design, to the colour palette to the fully fleshed interiors with all sorts of awesome little details. And so many great mini brick builds, from the musical instruments (like the piano) to the vending machines in the cafeteria to the air conditioning system on the roof!

Absolutely fantastic job.  I love the attention to detail you put into every nook and cranny.  It's just stunning at every level.  

In my book that really the mark of a great build, something that catches your eye from across the room, invites you to look closer and then rewards you with interesting discoveries at every step in the path.

Congratulations.  The time you invested was worth every second and then some.

Excellent work at both the large and small scales (I'm intrigued by the SNOTwork for the dark-blue lockers). However, the fire marshall in charge of codes enforcement will be unhappy :sad: that there's only one egress, viz., the front entrance. (The number of LEGO City fire department sets attests to the flammable nature of the world, and official modulars usually have fire escapes.) The obvious places for additional doorways would be the back of the entry hall (which could lead to a hypothetical outdoor sports field), and the ends of the two wings.

Wow, that is impressive! I'm surprised that, despite needing to accommodate an entire student body, the place doesn't feel too cramped. Excellent work!

Were you inspired by the institutional architecture of any one location when making this MOC? The color scheme is giving me Lincoln Park High School vibes.

Absolutely gorgeous creation Peedeejay! Your SNOT facade designs are without a doubt among the best of the best in Lego buildings. The color combination you've chosen here is fantastic and the whole exterior is a beautifully balanced combination of texture, shape and depth. A very classy construction. And the interior is wonderful, I especially like the science and music classrooms and the associated elements. Excellent photography and presentation as well. Great work, one for the ages!

I'm very impressed by your school building! Words fall short to express how fantastic your creation is!

The size is impressive, the color scheme is great, the dimensions are perfect and it is perfectly packed with excellent techniques and fun details.

Were you inspired by a existing school building?

On 8/6/2020 at 6:17 AM, carebear said:

My Jaw is dropping, WOW!!!!

This looks so Amazing!!!

Love that Cello!!!

Greetings!

Thanks!

On 8/6/2020 at 8:35 AM, ArneNielsen said:

Fantastic! My favorite is the heaters in every room - something that could be easily forgotten.

Thanks! Yes. they're easy to build but a nice amount of realism so I try to incoroprate them whenever possible.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, Aurore said:

Wonderful build! The exterior of the school looks great, and I love how packed with detail the interior is.

Thank you!

On 8/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, ExeSandbox said:

Wow, that's impressive! Love the use of SNOT building techniques for the facade and the trees are a great touch too, but the angled railings on the stairs leading to the front entrance really does the trick for me. :laugh: The interior is spectacular as well, for a building this huge you totally didn't skimp on adding all the details!

Thanks! Oh yes, the new candle piece is such a great addition, especially in combination with 20842

On 8/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, Kristel said:

A gorgeous building, inside and out!  Love the colours and the snotwork on the facade.

Thanks Kristel!

On 8/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, Terryoleary said:

Certainly on my list of additions, captures just the look I was after for a school - good work!

Thank you. Would love to see the school within other cities as well!

On 8/6/2020 at 1:40 PM, higgins91 said:

it's impressive !
all these details, the drink / candy dispensers are very well done!

Bravo !

Thanks. The vending machines took quite a  while until I came up with the final design but I am very happy with the end result as well. So happy that I put four of them in the whole build. :D

On 8/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, jimmynick said:

Wow, what a build! There’s so much to take in here and it’s all fabulous. Very well thought out and executed with an attractive colour scheme. The main thing that strikes me is the SNOT corners (apparently these are called quoins) - and it’s great you’ve integrated them well into the system of floors.

Vending machines, radiators, the bus stop at the front and the solar panels on the roof - all top off a great MOC! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Yes, the SNOT-pillars of the facade where quite challenging in terms of having them go from groud floor all the way to the roof without any interruption.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:04 PM, JintaiZ said:

Amazing build!

Thanks!

On 8/6/2020 at 6:32 PM, ReplicaOfLife said:

Absolutely brilliant!

Nice snotwork on the facade, I like the way you used the vertical plates to achieve the stonework effect.

The interior is stunning aswell, and I'll surely be back to pour over all the details some more. On first impression, the music and science classrooms especially caught my eye, and the vending machines in the cafeteria are absoltely spot on - brilliant design on those!

Thanks! :)

On 8/6/2020 at 7:36 PM, Calvinw said:

Simply amazing!  Great job on this one.  Love the amount of detail in every room!

Thank you!

On 8/6/2020 at 8:06 PM, STHLM said:

Very good! So much to discover. I like that you've used the roof for some action.

Thanks! Yes, and for the first time I decided to tile the complete roof as well. Something I will do from now on because dusting tiles is way easier than plates. :D

On 8/6/2020 at 10:11 PM, TheLegoDr said:

The scale is most impressive. The design/color for the exterior looks visually appealing.

i like the variety. I always wondered how a modular school would look. I think this captures it.

Thank you. I am glad you like it!

On 8/7/2020 at 2:59 AM, Agent 86 said:

Absolutely gorgeous in every respect - from the architectural design, to the colour palette to the fully fleshed interiors with all sorts of awesome little details. And so many great mini brick builds, from the musical instruments (like the piano) to the vending machines in the cafeteria to the air conditioning system on the roof!

Thanks!

The piano is actually a modified and updated version of the infamous piano build from Masao Hidaka, which was built back in 2011 and to me is still the most perfect piano in minifigure scale. I added some round tiles, new legs using the new candle piece again and of course the printed piano tile.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Gorgeous interior details and impressive SNOT technique for the (beautiful) main wall.:wub:

I usually don't like schools but this Lego school is amazing :laugh:

Top notch work! :thumbup:

Thank you. I also didn't enjoy school completely but still had fun building one. :D

On 8/7/2020 at 5:59 AM, Jerry McGlade said:

I really like the size of the build. Great job!

Thanks!

On 8/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, JonathanM said:

Love the heaters and the whiteboard markers. Absolutely genius!

Thank you! The whiteboard itself was quite challenging to pull off and is more complicated than it looks. But I wanted it to stick out just half a plate from the wall instead of simply putting tiles onto the wall.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:11 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

Absolutely fantastic job.  I love the attention to detail you put into every nook and cranny.  It's just stunning at every level.  

In my book that really the mark of a great build, something that catches your eye from across the room, invites you to look closer and then rewards you with interesting discoveries at every step in the path.

Congratulations.  The time you invested was worth every second and then some.

Thanks. I am happy you enjoy diving into the pictures and details. Gives me confirmation that the time was well invested. :)

On 8/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, Phillip Thorne said:

Excellent work at both the large and small scales (I'm intrigued by the SNOTwork for the dark-blue lockers). However, the fire marshall in charge of codes enforcement will be unhappy :sad: that there's only one egress, viz., the front entrance. (The number of LEGO City fire department sets attests to the flammable nature of the world, and official modulars usually have fire escapes.) The obvious places for additional doorways would be the back of the entry hall (which could lead to a hypothetical outdoor sports field), and the ends of the two wings.

Haha, your comment about the growing number of fire stations made my day. :D But you're right: At one point I asked myself the same question about only one staircase and entrance/exit, but it was already too late. ;-)

On 8/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, Kalhiki said:

Wow, that is impressive! I'm surprised that, despite needing to accommodate an entire student body, the place doesn't feel too cramped. Excellent work!

Thanks!

On 8/8/2020 at 5:39 AM, jimmynick said:

Were you inspired by the institutional architecture of any one location when making this MOC? The color scheme is giving me Lincoln Park High School vibes.

Thanks!

Yes, I was heavily inspired by the Chicopee High School (https://chs.chicopeeps.org/history-of-chs-75de946c) in Chicopee, MA. But in this case not the current look of out but the old building established in 1921. To me the building had somethign very special and I immediately thought about building it with LEGO. I did think alot whether to use dark red or medium dark flesh for the main color. In the end MDF looked more appealing to me because of the lower contrast.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, koalayummies said:

Absolutely gorgeous creation Peedeejay! Your SNOT facade designs are without a doubt among the best of the best in Lego buildings. The color combination you've chosen here is fantastic and the whole exterior is a beautifully balanced combination of texture, shape and depth. A very classy construction. And the interior is wonderful, I especially like the science and music classrooms and the associated elements. Excellent photography and presentation as well. Great work, one for the ages!

Thanks koalayummies!

On 8/9/2020 at 1:43 PM, Wesley D said:

I'm very impressed by your school building! Words fall short to express how fantastic your creation is!

The size is impressive, the color scheme is great, the dimensions are perfect and it is perfectly packed with excellent techniques and fun details.

Were you inspired by a existing school building?

Thanks! Yes, as mentioned above, I was inspired by the Chicopee High School: https://chs.chicopeeps.org/history-of-chs-75de946c