azanderk

Hammerhead Corvette "Lightmaker" UCS MOC

@azanderk I just started building this set! One suggestion I have is in the parts list all the internal stuff is marked as "not applicable". I understand the reason was to allow people to save money and have any color for those structure items that won't be seen BUT personally I did not realize the list did that and it has been a bit tougher at the beginning stages to determine which pieces I should use at the start vs. what i need for the outer layers. Bricklink just picked colors for those items based on price. I've had to go to the list for a lot of part types and separate out the amount of colored pieces needed and then I know the extra can be used as the n/a pieces.

Thanks!

Awesome!  Let me know if you have any other feedback.

I'll have to think about a way to address that, I know a lot of people will use the Easy Buy option on Bricklink.  I'm not a huge fan of Easy Buy. Easy Buy will select the least amount of vendors to buy from, not always the most economic in my experience.  Because the Bricklink Wanted list is set to "not applicable" for the color of the internal parts, it will choose ones that may be available, but are not the least expensive.  When I build large MOC's, I sort the list by two types first, Price and QTY.  I will look to see what are the "rarest" IE most expensive parts, and search out those parts specifically and see what other parts I can add from those vendors that are below the 6 month selling average.  At the same time, I will also see what I need the most of, and see who has those parts for the lowest cost and purchase there.

That tends to save me a significant amount of money.  I also try to order from stores that offer free shipping. Using this method, I can usually get the cost to about 70% of the Easy Buy price or less and I've built several large scale MOC's this way.  But alas, I enjoy the hunt for bricks, and others may not as much.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, azanderk said:

Awesome!  Let me know if you have any other feedback.

I'll have to think about a way to address that, I know a lot of people will use the Easy Buy option on Bricklink.  I'm not a huge fan of Easy Buy. Easy Buy will select the least amount of vendors to buy from, not always the most economic in my experience.  Because the Bricklink Wanted list is set to "not applicable" for the color of the internal parts, it will choose ones that may be available, but are not the least expensive.  When I build large MOC's, I sort the list by two types first, Price and QTY.  I will look to see what are the "rarest" IE most expensive parts, and search out those parts specifically and see what other parts I can add from those vendors that are below the 6 month selling average.  At the same time, I will also see what I need the most of, and see who has those parts for the lowest cost and purchase there.

That tends to save me a significant amount of money.  I also try to order from stores that offer free shipping. Using this method, I can usually get the cost to about 70% of the Easy Buy price or less and I've built several large scale MOC's this way.  But alas, I enjoy the hunt for bricks, and others may not as much.

Teach me senpai! :)

I did sort the pieces twice and one way was significant cheaper but I have no idea how I did it. This was only my 2nd time ordering a large group of pieces - I'll have to try your method next time.

I've spent 45 min on step 488 (which is putting one side of the hammerhead shaped cockpit on. Hopefully it just works tomorrow. Posted so if anyone else has frustration at that step they know they weren't the only ones banging their heads. lol

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

I've spent 45 min on step 488 (which is putting one side of the hammerhead shaped cockpit on. Hopefully it just works tomorrow. Posted so if anyone else has frustration at that step they know they weren't the only ones banging their heads. lol

If you took 45min on step 488, you probably took 90mins each on step 699 and 714. And they going to drop down when you fix step 801. :)

I end up mod a bit and extend the pins to hold it more firmly.  

On 1/11/2021 at 1:06 AM, blackman88 said:

If you took 45min on step 488, you probably took 90mins each on step 699 and 714. And they going to drop down when you fix step 801. :)

I end up mod a bit and extend the pins to hold it more firmly.  

Can you elaborate? Thanks!

edit : In regards to extending the pins on 488. It is not connected yet lol

Edited by karmajay

On 1/12/2021 at 8:19 AM, karmajay said:

Can you elaborate? Thanks!

edit : In regards to extending the pins on 488. It is not connected yet lol

Extending the pin means replacing the pin (4274) with pin (6558), when connecting to the bricks in step 699.  

For step 488, i dint change anything.  I find it easier to build directly onto the ship piece by piece, instead of building the panel separately and mount on it after completion.  

Apologies, I have been away from the internet and just seeing these.  I’ll have access to my studio file tonight and I’ll take a look.  I will make any modifications to the plans and re-upload.

I moved forward so got a lot done but got up to 675 which is the hammerhead section again so I thought i would try the 488 or head side panels again. I just cannot get them on. I tried using the pins on the panel side but I just can't seem to get them on clean (or at all). I'll have to keep thinking on it I guess. 

16 hours ago, karmajay said:

I moved forward so got a lot done but got up to 675 which is the hammerhead section again so I thought i would try the 488 or head side panels again. I just cannot get them on. I tried using the pins on the panel side but I just can't seem to get them on clean (or at all). I'll have to keep thinking on it I guess. 

I've figured out the issue, there are too many pins on the frame, there is an extra pin on the top and bottom that are hitting a panel seam, see the circled parts below.  These pins need to be removed.  Apologies for the mistake, I understand the frustration!

The side panels for 699 and 714 are tricky, mostly due to making sure everything is at the right angle with the hinges.  I'll play around with the design, maybe I need to add additional pieces to the back of the panel to act as a template for the proper hinge angle.

Extra-pins.jpg

Edited by azanderk

23 minutes ago, karmajay said:

That was it. Thanks for the reply :)

No problem, I apologize for the delay, the one time I was away from my studio!  I also updated the drawings on Rebrickable as well.  Send along photos when you're done!

No problem. I also thing the front landing gear needs to be a bit more structurally connected to the framework also. It only touches a 2x4 amount of space and it needs to hold up all the weight. I've had it break off multiple times while putting front plates on. Luckily the side plates are strong so far it has just landed. :)

Edited by karmajay

Yeah, without the front plates on, the front landing gear is not as strong.  The side plates are solid and carry most of the structure towards the front, which is why I choose to put the side plates before the landing gear in the instructions.

The section that gets built in steps 795 and 796 - how does that attach to the larger structure shown in 800? On the part of the picture facing the user it shows the 1x2 smooth piece dead center in step 800.  But behind that is a normal 1x2 but that means the way this shows being built it can only be off center left or right.

edit: After looking at it for the 20th time I see that step 797 calls for two 1x2s but you can't see where the 2nd goes. That must be the issue but I have no idea where to place that second 1x2 to allow that middle orientation in 800.

Thanks for your time!

11 hours ago, karmajay said:

The section that gets built in steps 795 and 796 - how does that attach to the larger structure shown in 800? On the part of the picture facing the user it shows the 1x2 smooth piece dead center in step 800.  But behind that is a normal 1x2 but that means the way this shows being built it can only be off center left or right.

edit: After looking at it for the 20th time I see that step 797 calls for two 1x2s but you can't see where the 2nd goes. That must be the issue but I have no idea where to place that second 1x2 to allow that middle orientation in 800.

Thanks for your time!

Happy to help!  This should help explain.

Step-797.jpg

53 minutes ago, azanderk said:

Happy to help!  This should help explain.

Step-797.jpg

Thanks, that does help for that issue! The 2nd issue I've taken some pics here. I don't see how the flat 1x2 can be flush with the line that breaks the whole section. Due to that grey 1x2 behind it it has to be one stud left or right of it. 

UCvISyO.jpg

jKsRRgK.jpgROpVoGd.jpgZluQ60P.jpg

Looking at my model, its a mistake on my end.  My model is slightly different as I tried to optimize the build during the conversion to digital.  The DBG 1x2 Brick on the engine panel needs to be replaced with a 1x2 jumper on top of a 1x2 plate (any color).  That will resolve the issue.  I'll update the drawings accordingly.  Same will need to be done on the other side.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, azanderk said:

Looking at my model, its a mistake on my end.  My model is slightly different as I tried to optimize the build during the conversion to digital.  The DBG 1x2 Brick on the engine panel needs to be replaced with a 1x2 jumper on top of a 1x2 plate (any color).  That will resolve the issue.  I'll update the drawings accordingly.  Same will need to be done on the other side.  Sorry!

Np - I appreciate the help and glad we are working out the small issues in this great model :)

It is very challenging to keep the angled assemblies between the side and bottom engines from falling off. Even though they each are supposed to connect to 4 pins due to the angled nature I can't imagine anyone can get 4 solid connections. Maybe something to think on :)

Edited by karmajay

1 hour ago, karmajay said:

It is very challenging to keep the angled assemblies between the side and bottom engines from falling off. Even though they each are supposed to connect to 4 pins due to the angled nature I can't imagine anyone can get 4 solid connections. Maybe something to think on :)

Falling off when?  If they are falling off, the angles you are attaching them must be off.  Both panels have multiple connection points, and the bottom panel also rests on the bottom engine (for additional support).  The model is fully swooshable (and I've knocked it over twice) and I've never had any issues with those panels falling off.  I wonder what is preventing them from attaching properly.

So first let me say I really enjoyed this set. It looks great, it is a great size and it was very challenging for my 2nd larger MOC build. Overall great experience and great help from OP. Any nitpicks I discuss are just there to help future builders, etc.

First some final pictures (I know those side wings go up a bit I just forgot to move them for the picture!) Also that small monitor is there to test work stuff lol - I know it is a wack size :)

icrNCK7.jpg

YsVPIZw.jpg

cvLbIlf.jpg

u4Ycz8I.jpg

I added some plates to the bottom rear and a little something at the front for stability. I added a brick and plate in the below picture to bridge the gap for that piece to be more stable when you are placing the two engine assemblies. And there was a few places where I added one plate where connections were inset.

wzBEwpq.jpg

As far as my above post - after some more tries I was able to get the whole 4 connections to click which made the bottom side assembly more secure. The one above it (pictures follow) - you can see it is flush on all sides and the top 2 connections do not fully go in. This means the bottom 2 connections definitely do not have the reach so the foundation can be a bit here or there especially as the motor assembly and the side gun assemblies also butt up against this section.

Tgo8yWm.jpg

Uga0SO5.jpg

b5RNXz2.jpg

Y76Bd01.jpg

Last but not least, I know you said this was swooshable but I'm gonna have a hard time dusting it! This set really taught me the pros/cons on how MOCs create certain shapes and forms and some of the things you sacrifice for a great looking set.

Thanks again!

Hmm, I don't know why I didn't get a notification of your reply, I came to ask for final pictures!  Happy it turned out well and appreciate your feedback. Yes, the last photo is the correct alignment, I definitely think the attachment could be strengthened if you wanted to, the design thought was to make it easier to remove for cleaning as you mentioned.  Each exterior segment is removable to make it easier for cleaning (and assembly), but the drawback is that those panels have more range of motion due to the hinges, making alignment more difficult than the rest of the model.

Happy everything turned out well though!  I was able to score some great local deals on bulk and have been slowly sorting through everything, hopefully I have bolstered my part bins enough to begin on my next MOC.

For reference, here is a shot of mine.  Ignore the extra set of pins, I never removed them.

IMG-1058.jpg

IMG-1059.jpg

IMG-1060.jpg

Edited by azanderk