Sign in to follow this  
Celloguy

Heavy Communications Rover (Classic Space)

Heavy Communications Rover

Mobile satellite links were extremely useful for relaying the findings of the Federation's various surface discovery vehicles straight to space stations and orbiting space craft. However, when dust and electrical storms made such communication impossible, the Heavy Communications Rover could send and receive messages seismically through a planet's interior. A network of four rovers would be enough to cover the entire surface of most planets, ensuring transfer of information from the planet surface to space without interruption. In the days of Blacktron raids, this tactic allowed the Federation to react speedily to attack.

I had this old dark gray radar dish sitting on the shelf for years and decided I had to make something with it. This was the result. It's not obviously visible on the main edit, but the stacked dishes behind the main cab are meant to be a device to create seismic pulses, and also provide a pivot point between the can and the trailer. Also pleased that I used three trans yellow windscreens I’d never used before - particularly fun to discover that the inverted windscreen can accept two SNOT studs. I also used three different lattice parts in old light gray to tie the build together.

Great build. Personally, I would prefer less monochromatic parts but I really like the use of those parts here, so the end result still looks very nice.

Great build. :thumbup:

Great combination of the old and new transparant yellow pieces.

And I agree with danth. Nice brick-built dish. :thumbup:

On 8/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, Horlack Bricks said:

nice work :)

Thank you!

On 8/3/2020 at 4:11 PM, LBaixinho said:

Great work!

I highlighted at my blog last week: https://oficina.blogs.sapo.pt/heavy-communications-rover-1106382

Thanks so much!

On 8/4/2020 at 6:00 AM, makoy said:

Great build. Personally, I would prefer less monochromatic parts but I really like the use of those parts here, so the end result still looks very nice.

Cheers! I'm addicted to old gray, and the look of those early classic space ground vehicles which were all grey except the windscreens and wheels. I love the texture you can build up with only one colour :)

On 8/4/2020 at 7:00 PM, danth said:

Wow, nice brick-built dish!

Thank you - glad you like it!

On 8/4/2020 at 7:06 PM, sander1992 said:

Great build. :thumbup:

Great combination of the old and new transparant yellow pieces.

And I agree with danth. Nice brick-built dish. :thumbup:

Yes, something like 35 years between the oldest and newest ones! I just love this about lego - I always try and include very new and very old pieces in my builds.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Nice one, the first shot is incredible !

Some parts use are well thought

Cheers!

On 8/7/2020 at 3:17 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Superb!:wub:

I like your clever solution to realize the radar dish! :thumbup:

Hehe, cheers! Glad it was pleasing to you!

Spectacular, I particularly like the shape of the trans yellow cockpit you made.

And don't pretend I didn't see that znap connector :wink:. Great part usage all around.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:45 PM, arieben said:

Spectacular, I particularly like the shape of the trans yellow cockpit you made.

And don't pretend I didn't see that znap connector :wink:. Great part usage all around.

Thank you! :)

On 8/17/2020 at 4:38 PM, JintaiZ said:

Excellent build.

Cheers!