STHLM

[MOC] Tennis court

So, I got an idea to make a tennis court. I had two thoughts that were central - the net would be lower in the middle than on the sides and it would be grass that was worn, preferably in the direction the players mainly run in.

50179321841_7354e24968_c.jpg
[MOC] Tennis court by Nybohov Creation Ltd., on Flickr

50179321771_12d165d210_c.jpg

Why did I not choose the names of real tennis players? Sure, it might have been festive if Borg / McEnroe met Connors / Gerulaitis, but I did not want to spend time making portrait-like minifigures. I also wanted two mixed pairs, and I do not know of any in tennis, so I turned to music instead and chose two songwriting pairs. They are fairly contemporary, but if they ever played tennis against each other, or even at all, I do not know. Ashford and Simpson are black, but since I only drive with yellow figures, I do not have to think about skin colors.

The ninth game in the fifth and decisive set is about to start, and the photographers are ready:
50179321681_1e192d3aa9_c.jpg

The referee gives the green light, the water bottles are filled and the ball boys and ball girls are on their toes:
50179321671_8671b7d962_c.jpg

– Damn all of you cloggers!
50178785303_e638280b0b_c.jpg

The new bird isn't too welcome.
50178785208_2649619e2f_c.jpg

– Hey, I'm trying to whatch the game here!
50179571762_0c9310a315_c.jpg

Oh, the joy of a funny story!
50178785423_55c099d07e_c.jpg

About time for the first kiss?
50179572142_eb99c2b8aa_c.jpg

Edited by STHLM

Fantastic. Love the worn areas of the grass court, the sag in the net, excellent color choices for the whole arena and the moduverse/mils style modular base. Excellent build!

9 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Fantastic. Love the worn areas of the grass court, the sag in the net, excellent color choices for the whole arena and the moduverse/mils style modular base. Excellent build!

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. We often use the moduverse baseplates in Swebrick.

9 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Wonderful build, great design of the worn grass and fantastic pictures!

Thanks for the kind words!

1 hour ago, Mrlikesninjagomoviethings said:

Looks cool

Thanks!

The court does look a little rough from all that play!  Some really nice details you've added in there, but I especially like the effort you put in to make the net sag in the middle, and the way you did the covered trash cans.  Great build!  :classic:

12 hours ago, deraven said:

The court does look a little rough from all that play!  Some really nice details you've added in there, but I especially like the effort you put in to make the net sag in the middle, and the way you did the covered trash cans.  Great build!  :classic:

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Sure, the caretaker could do a better job, but he seems to be busy with other tasks:

50178785303_e638280b0b_c.jpg

On 8/2/2020 at 9:18 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This MOC is a masterpiece!
The tennis court made with SNOTed plates is wonderful ... the texture is perfect. :wub:

Thank you for the kind words! SNOT was the only way to make the lines thin enough and to create the well-worn texture.

Nice tennis court. I like how you gave all those minifigures fitting faces!

You gave that tree a very nice treetop! Impressive!

Edited by Wesley D

On 8/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Wesley D said:

Nice tennis court. I like how you gave all those minifigures fitting faces!

You gave that tree a very nice treetop! Impressive!

Thank you!

Sometimes it takes longer time to get the minifigs right than the actual build (not this time, though).

I love all the little beautiful scenes in this moc! I laughed at that guy with plunger :) 

A little suggestion - in my mind simple 1x1 round plate would work better in terms of scale for tennis ball. But it's just my point :) 

2 hours ago, adwind said:

I love all the little beautiful scenes in this moc! I laughed at that guy with plunger :) 

A little suggestion - in my mind simple 1x1 round plate would work better in terms of scale for tennis ball. But it's just my point :) 

Thank's for the feedback! I'm happy you got a laugh. A 1x1 round plate might be a better scale, but it is less round. I might give it a try.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, Tbx Nicolas said:

Love the worn out grass made with plates and textured bricks, that adds to realism.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I agree that the sagging net is a great detail and I love dark-orange so its pretty great overall. I like the photographers' area, and I think the lettering is great as well. Buildings like this are a great way to use all your extra mini-minifigs.

Only thing I'd change is lower the outside doors one plate so they sit flush with the pavement.

Edited by gotoAndLego

On 8/24/2020 at 4:55 PM, gotoAndLego said:

I agree that the sagging net is a great detail and I love dark-orange so its pretty great overall. I like the photographers' area, and I think the lettering is great as well. Buildings like this are a great way to use all your extra mini-minifigs.

Only thing I'd change is lower the outside doors one plate so they sit flush with the pavement.

Thank you for the feedback!

The photographers' area and the masonry bricks is, in fact, a way to make the dark orange bricks last a bit longer. :blush:

The lettering took quite some time to get right.

I ordered one Fun Fair (60234) and one Outdoor Adventures (60202) to get the "best" minifigs. :laugh:

I know that some like to have the doors flush with the surface, but to me, it looks a bit odd without the threshold.