Sign in to follow this  
SteamSewnEmpire

[moc] Great Northern Private Observation Car "Olympic Sunset"

Freelanced, but based on a few real cars. I did a full-length car this time, and went all out on the interior details:

eJ1nCJy.png

UJSFfJF.png

UcXxNMS.png

Bathroom with claw foot tub and tiled floor:

GuBdh1k.png

His and hers bedrooms:

ULu9GeS.png

Smoking room with humidor and pool table (obviously can only be played when the train is stopped):

UyNr9pB.png

Observation lounge:

naQNRCO.png

Looks great, and nice interior.  The exterior shaping in particular is great, and I like what you did with the headboards for the beds.  :classic:

That's incredible! The overall proportions look nice and the interior detailing is great.

59 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Smoking room with humidor and pool table (obviously can only be played when the train is stopped):

I don't know, having a game of billiards while the train is moving might make for some interesting wagers! :grin:

Just now, Jeffinslaw said:

Very nicely done! Wish you would move to Studio so you can get some proper renders. 

If stud.io grouped parts logically, I would. Not sure why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel, but it's like trying to move from QWERTY to Dvorak. At this point, I'm waiting to see if Lego's acquisition of Bricklink forces some kind of change in stud.io's development.

2 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

If stud.io grouped parts logically, I would. Not sure why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel, but it's like trying to move from QWERTY to Dvorak. At this point, I'm waiting to see if Lego's acquisition of Bricklink forces some kind of change in stud.io's development.

I agree. It's like trying to talk to someone who's a brick wall. It's aggravating!!

Assuming you are aiming for "in service" this would more likely be a "business car" rather than a "private car," but what's in a name? We done regardless. Two quirks, the rear deck should have the railings on the sides too. While the floor would have trap doors to open up to stairs like you have in the build, they would only be used while in the station. Most of the time the trap doors would be closed and the railings in place making the rear deck more of a fenced in "porch." For the second one, the windows seem just a little too short for a heavyweight car. Might be worth trying 1x2x2 trans clear panels for the windows, though you would lose the division between the paired windows in the lounge area, perhaps you could do the panels for everything ahead of the lounge and then use 1x2x3 windows in the lounge.

Love the interiors, great details her you should build a version half cut, only just to see the inside.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

What do you mean by "grouped parts logically"? If you're talking about the building pallet, you can organize by BrickLink categories which if you spend ANY amount of time on BL, then it will be incredibly easy to find something or by shape which is like LDD.