Louis of Nutwood

[MOC] Frøstdjur, The Frozen Beast

The Frozen Beast

I’ve heard tales of dragons guarding treasures. I’ve heard songs of dragons that held knowledge. But the story behind this one, is a little different.
Past the ridge of cold mountains, after the forests and bays, there is a mountain that grows beyond sight. Afar the tallest of the trees and over the ceiling of clouds, it breaches the skies and hides its summit behind the vast unknown.
The Elders say there is a castle in its peak, from where both Midgard, the land of men, and Asgard, the land of gods can be seen. The legends speak that only at the top of the tallest tower, the gods are prone to hear your prayer. 
Many have tried to claim the tower and make their way to the hall of the gods, but every time a man proclaims himself its ruler, a beast comes forth to end its reign.
Frøstdjur, it was named. The Frozen Beast. White wings, as bright as the sun. Its breath as cold as a thousand winters. If one is worthy enough to hear the voice of the gods, only the beast will tell. 
No man should enforce himself to the great hall of the gods, for only they know our destiny. Frøstdjur protects this truth and their will, making sure the chosen ones are heard, and the unworthy vanish in the frozen wind. 

Frøstdjur

________

Really hope you like it!

For a long time I wanted to build a dragon, and Zane's Titanium Dragon (70748) from Ninjago series was my inspiration. It was a challenge to make it sturdy, but I'm happy the way my creature MOCs are coming to life. 

This is an entry for the Summer Joust 2020 "The Frozen North" Category.
Make sure to check the micro-scale version of this story, Sannhetens Fjell

Would love to hear what you all think. 

Skol!
Louis of Valnötsträd

Edited by Louis of Nutwood
Adding Reference

Wow!  That is spectacular!  I really love the face.  It's hard to get eyes right, and you really nailed it.  You and @Henjin_Quilones have some really spectacular dragons and brick built beasties!  The color scheme is excellent, and I the use of the frost and blue tail is great.  It looks pretty sturdy.  Does it have good balance, too?  Excellent work!

16 hours ago, Grover said:

Wow!  That is spectacular!  I really love the face.  It's hard to get eyes right, and you really nailed it.  You and @Henjin_Quilones have some really spectacular dragons and brick built beasties!  The color scheme is excellent, and I the use of the frost and blue tail is great.  It looks pretty sturdy.  Does it have good balance, too?  Excellent work!

I'm glad you liked it, sire Grover. And to be put next to sir @Henjin_Quilones as a beast-builder is a true honor! It is pretty sturdy all the way through. The connection between the legs and body is the most fragile part, as they are not put together with ball joints (as was the first attempt), but only by a normal stud. The neck and torso are more sturdy than I expected, though. As for the balance, that was the bigger challenge. Due to the longer neck and considerably heavier head (it's a good thing it moves, still), it tends to flick to the front, so the nails on that big foot piece are what is holding the beast standing. 

If there was a base, I could easily connect the beast to the base (also using its tail), but then, I think it would be a distraction to all its glory. 

Not long ago we were discussing about dragons and whoever is afraid of them. I guess.. thanks for the uplifting discussion. This beast might not have come to life otherwise. 

One again, thanks for the support, sire Grover, and all the effort to keep the Guilds in motion.
Skol, my friend!

Very cool.  I like the head, very well designed.  The colors you used work well together.   The body and neck look very meaty as compared to official lego dragons.  I like the wings, also nicely designed.  The tail looks neat, I like the way it is long and very flexible.  Great story to go along with the build.  

Well...Frøstdjur may look cute at microscale, but really impressive at minifig scale! You're really good at creating brickbuilt creatures. I especially like the eyes and tail - very appropriate for a frost dragon!

On 8/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, zoth33 said:

Very cool.  I like the head, very well designed.  The colors you used work well together.   The body and neck look very meaty as compared to official lego dragons.  I like the wings, also nicely designed.  The tail looks neat, I like the way it is long and very flexible.  Great story to go along with the build. 

Zoth33, always a pleasure to read through your thoughtful comments. I'm happy you liked the build and pointed out a few of the elements I'm particularly pleased with, such as the tail and the neck. This really is a re-modeling for the 70748 Ninjago set, so I must credit the color scheme and most of the head design to The Lego Group, really, and I totally agree they are stand-outs for this build. 
Once again, thanks for the support, mate!

13 hours ago, Aurore said:

Well...Frøstdjur may look cute at microscale, but really impressive at minifig scale! You're really good at creating brickbuilt creatures. I especially like the eyes and tail - very appropriate for a frost dragon!

I'm thrilled you liked this little beast, Lady Aurore! It means a lot coming from you. I've been trying to improve my creature-building and it thrills me to know you are liking them too. But even in minifig-scale, I think it still looks rather... cute. :D
Thanks for the support, folks!

Edited by Louis of Nutwood

The head and neck are both really cool, so is the dynamic pose of the wings.  Speaking of pose though, the way the dragon just - ends - looks a little strange.  Maybe a slightly different angle, or raising part of the tail so it slowly curves down, would help there.

Great idea to have a tan underbelly though!

Very nicely done! Especially like the chest and head (where the eyes are really well done). Great job. 

18 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

The head and neck are both really cool, so is the dynamic pose of the wings.  Speaking of pose though, the way the dragon just - ends - looks a little strange.  Maybe a slightly different angle, or raising part of the tail so it slowly curves down, would help there.

Great idea to have a tan underbelly though

Thank you, Kai! For your much appreciated feedback. Yeah, I didn't realize that from this perspective it really seems to end out of the blue. It is a matter of the angle, though. I should have winged the tail a bit higher to show a smoother transition between back and rear end, but, well. It is as it is. I don't intend to disassemble it just yet, and I might use it to attack a small structure. Maybe on a following event, I'll frame it just a bit better. 
Thanks for the tips, man! Always pleasure to have your thoughts, and I'm glad you liked the overall build. 
Cheers!

5 hours ago, adde51 said:

Very nicely done! Especially like the chest and head (where the eyes are really well done). Great job. 

A pleasure to have your comment, Andreas! I'm thrilled you liked it, man.

Everything legs & forward is ace--awesome in fact, but I think the lack of beefiness in the tail unbalances everything visually.  That said, the head is (again) awesome and in particular the unique shaping you achieved in the nose area!

17 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Everything legs & forward is ace--awesome in fact, but I think the lack of beefiness in the tail unbalances everything visually.  That said, the head is (again) awesome and in particular the unique shaping you achieved in the nose area!

Thank you, sire, for your much appreciated feedback, mrcp6d!
I see your point. Such a beefy creature should have a stronger end, right? Fact is that the angle is not helping much as the legs are hiding most of the tail. That's a recurrent feedback for this build, and I agree I could have positioned it differently. 

It is still intact, and I intend to use in another (larger) build. I'll make sure to add more meat to its rear and position it in a better angle. 
Hopefully, on the next build, this beast will be fuller and even scarier!

Thanks again for all the support, man!
Skol!

On 8/17/2020 at 4:18 AM, (Luc)ky Luke said:

Wow! Dragons are hard to make right, especially the heads but you make it all look easy!

It was certainly not easy, sir Luke. But I'm very glad you liked the build and the effort put into it. 
Thanks for the support, lad. 
Skol!