Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

42113 Osprey V-22 [VIDEO REVIEW]

The review is below, the links are here:

» building instructions: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k4nu591ygsd7tn5/42113.pdf/file
» parts list scan:
https://app.mediafire.com/aguqujyztxkh1
» XML parts list: https://pastebin.com/5gB7Dy6f
» sticker sheet scan: http://www.mediafire.com/view/mt05rzxnrpu3r32/stickers.jpg/file
» gearbox fix by Huw from Brickset.com: https://brickset.com/article/52890/fixing-the-osprey
» reconstruction guide by Ngoc Nguyenhttps://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/179217-42113-reconstruction-guide/

Edited by Sariel

\m/   \m/  :laugh:

I wonder how this got through Legos QA. With this issue in mind... the protest of the anti war organisation might came in the right moment. But that's pure speculation. Back to the topic. Thanks for the review and the link colllection.

Edited by Andman

Just saw the prices of these on Ebay. And I just know the woman that bought hers before me, as well as the guy that tried to buy one after me, were planning on putting theirs straight on ebay. I took quite some pleasure in opening the box knowing that this particular set isn't gonna remain MISB to be some scalpers quick buck,  that an actual fan is going to build and enjoy this thing as it was meant to be. And kudos to Smyths for only allowing one per customer. The old lady in front of me looked proper miserable because she couldn't buy mine to sell as well. Shame :laugh:. I just wish there was some way they could have sold these only to actual fans and not scalpers. If I wasn't second in line to enter the store when it opened I would not have ever got one. And people are paying hundreds on ebay because of these scalpers. Now that really is a shame.

Edited by allanp

1 minute ago, allanp said:

opening the box knowing that this particular set isn't gonna remain MISB to be some scalpers quick buck,  that an actual fan is going to build and enjoy this thing as it was meant to be

Blessings upon ye, lad!!! :pir-huzzah2:

(I'm truly and deeply envious right now...:pir-murder:)

18 minutes ago, allanp said:

I just wish there was some way they could have sold these only to actual fans and not scalpers. 

The store could open the box when you buy it. :innocent2:

With Huw fix, are the 8 tooths gears intact after having used the set for a while?

14 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Blessings upon ye, lad!!! :pir-huzzah2:

(I'm truly and deeply envious right now...:pir-murder:)

I am very confident that the parts needed to build this set will appear in future sets. The battery box for sure.

5 minutes ago, allanp said:

I am very confident that the parts needed to build this set will appear in future sets. The battery box for sure.

No doubt indeed, but that still isn't really the same... anyway, I already burned my yearly LEGO budget on the Lambo and Charger and some non-Technic display pieces, so it's not like I was actually going to buy it anytime soon... 

11 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

The store could open the box when you buy it. :innocent2:

Yup. They could  hand you the set from a high shelf and say "i'm just going to open the box for you to make sure it's all there". The reaction will tell you if they are scalpers. I'd be happy for them to check.

This really is a one off set. Never before, and likely never again, will Lego release a direct replica of a current military vehicle of any kind. I don't know why, it's only Lego as they say, but seeing the scalpers first hand trying to take what should be in the hands of the fans has really pissed me off!

1 hour ago, Akbalder said:

@Sariel How many stars for function would have the set if Huw's fix was included?

4 or 5. Other than the engine nacelles taking really long to start tilting, everything worked super smooth for me. I mean the ramp and the landing gear work slooooowly but hey, it's just one relatively weak motor driving the entire thing. Just think of how much better this set would work if it was separate motor per each function, like in the 42100. But no, LEGO just has to skimp on us and go out of their way to do everything with a single motor.

I think that it is impressive when one motor can do everything (when it works). It's one of the reason why I really liked 42055.

And it seems more interesting to build a gearbox that putting multiple motors in a set.

I would argue, but ultimately to each their own. Personally, I prefer 42100 that can be controlled entirely remotely, responds to each command instantly and moves quickly, smoothly and precisely than 42113 where half of the set is a transmission enforced by the bean counters, where you need to use selectors on the model and everything works slow, with delays and jerky motions and the motor is whining under all that friction. Is it technically complex? Sure. Is it practical and provides a good play experience? Hell no.

Good video as always. I am glad you were able to make it for this set after all!

Also, I'm wondering why you changed the name of your YouTube channel?

15 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Also, I'm wondering why you changed the name of your YouTube channel?

I was kindly asked to do so by LEGO lawyers, LEGO being registered trademark and all.