Sign in to follow this  
Mandalorianknight

Wishlist MOC wave: Galactic Civil War! Part one: Battle packs and X-34

Galactic Civil War MOC wave:
After my Siege of Mandalore MOC sets (I may come back to that one for a venator some time), I'm doing another wave based on something I always wanted from lego sets when I was younger: sets for the ground forces, grunts, unnamed men and women of the rebellion and empire! I aim to make this wave one of various rebel and imperial vehicles and builds for the conflict between the factions past just rebel starfighters and AT-STs. (The TIE bomber will be making an appearance though, as lego has effectively spit on the grave of the official set). As with my previous wave, all sets are made as if they were official sets, meaning they've got play features, figures, and the dreaded stud shooters. This was done because I prefer my MOCs to fit in with the official sets I collect, and because I'm not great at MOC making in general. :wink: Starting things off are some battle packs to get the foot soldiers of the rebellion and empire, as well as a set styled similar to the 501st legion set, giving the rebels a much-needed ground assault vehicle.

Rebel Fleet Troopers Battle Pack ($14.99), 140 pieces:

"Build the rebel speeder and fight for freedom with the LEGO Rebel Fleet Troopers battle pack! This action-packed Star Wars set includes a rebellion speeder with removable turret, three rebel fleet troopers, and Rebel Friend from the Lego Star Wars video game franchise."

2008rebelbattlepack1.jpg2008rebelbattlepack2.jpg

Man, was this a nostalgia trip for me! This was my favorite set as a kid, I must have 20 of the fleet troopers off bricklink alone! I modernized the model to fit lego's newer style, and changed the colors to make it the same color scheme as other rebel ground vehicles. Some other notable changes from the original set include slightly downsizing it to reflect lego's new style of more detail with smaller pieces and including fan-favorite character rebel friend with the classic megaphone blaster. 

Imperial Troops Battle Pack ($14.99), 140 pieces:

"Build the turbolaser turret and help the empire fight for order with the Imperial Troops battle pack! This Star Wars set includes a rotating turbolaser turret with articulated cannons and control turret, along with two stormtroopers, a navy trooper and an imperial officer."

imperialbattlepack.jpgimperialbattlepack2.jpg

Another fun build, I've always liked the idea of functional builds in battle packs instead of random vehicles, so the turbolaser was a natural fit. A full tower would have taken it over the price point, so I kept it at the turbolaser itself. Included are imperial troops in lego's somewhat annoying 2-1-1 layout, although we get stormtroopers so often I thought it would work here. The other figures are an Imperial officer (the black suit would in this case represent a stormtrooper officer, I believe), and a navy trooper. 

Rebel Legion X-34 Landspeeder ($34.99), 335 pieces:

"Play out an epic conflict in the battle between the rebellion and the empire with the Rebel Legion X-34 Landspeeder set! Fire the flick-fire missiles and rotate the mounted gun on the rebel speeder, defend against the imperial attack with the P-tower turret, or fight for the empire with the stormtrooper's blasters! This Star Wars set includes four rebel fighters, including a Twi'lek and a Rodian alien, as well as two enemy stormtroopers."

x341.jpgx342.jpgx343.jpgx344.jpg

You probably recognize the speeder as luke's, and it's an interesting story how I ended up using this. The rebellion is never seen engaged in ground battles in the original star wars trilogy aside from hoth, where they only use T-47s and turrets. (the P-tower is included here as shown in the first image, based off a design I previously made to go alongside an old rebel tank MOC.) More ground battles are fought in Rogue one and Rebels, but again no ground vehicles are used. This led me to look to other sources, such as Battlefront 2 and the tabletop game Star Wars: legion. In these, a version of luke's landspeeder with a mounted gun is playable. I thought it looked pretty cool and made sense that the rebels would weaponize civilian craft in their fight, just as they did with their snowspeeders. In fact, the battlefront speeder's paint job implies that it used to be luke's speeder. I tried to make this set different from the official luke's landspeeders while still maintaining accuracy, and I believe it turned out quite well. The paint job is influenced by what colors some parts were available in as well as custom paint jobs players made for the tabletop game's speeder. The figures are also influenced by that game, with a rocket-launcher toting Twi'lek and Rodian sniper among the rebels. It's priced higher than the 501st pack due to a slightly increased part count and the battle droid being replaced with full minifigures.

That's all for now, to follow will be an imperial set in the style of the 501st, a TIE bomber, and of course more ground vehicles for the empire and rebellion. If you have any suggestions or ideas, I'd love it if you commented with them! (Especially if it's something canon I can do for the imperial 501st style set, I have no clue what's small enough to fit there besides a Z-74 speeder bike) :grin:

36 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If you have any suggestions or ideas, I'd love it if you commented with them! (Especially if it's something canon I can do for the imperial 501st style set, I have no clue what's small enough to fit there besides a Z-74 speeder bike) :grin:

I.T.T. it's perfect!

Anyways, very good as always. The figure choices are pretty boss too. :classic:

10 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I.T.T. it's perfect!

Anyways, very good as always. The figure choices are pretty boss too. :classic:

How did I forget about that? Alright, next set will be the I.T.T. and a speeder bike!

Thank you for the kind words!

6 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

These are great as per - the landspeeder set looks fantastic, I love how the spring-loaded shooters are integrated.

Thank you! I must have spend two hours on getting the spring shooters in there, I'm glad to hear they paid off!

Excellent designs and ideas.  Not sure if 6 mini-figs would actually be included by Lego for a speeder build like you have made, but I love the idea.

Cheers :)

22 minutes ago, Omand said:

Excellent designs and ideas.  Not sure if 6 mini-figs would actually be included by Lego for a speeder build like you have made, but I love the idea.

Cheers :)

I think 5 would be the most, seeing as this is supposed to be a sort of rebel equivalent to the 501st clone troopers set. That set comes with 6 figures, however 2 are battle droids, which Lego seems to include more of than they would standard minifigures in sets.