Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 80014 Sandy's Speedboat

Here is my review on Monkie Kid 80014 Sandy's Speedboat:

THE GOOD:

• Great Spider Mech.  Brilliant design on the legs and overall shape.
  • Excellent Spider's Queen minifigure.
  • In comparison, a cheaper way to get Pigsy and Sandy's minifig/big fig in the same set.
  • Love the cloud piece attached to Monkie Kid's surf board.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• Still pricey ...
  • The speedboat not the star of the set,  May be it's just me but that's how I felt after I built it.

Overall, I like this set and think it's a good addition to the Monkie Kid theme.  For those who knows about Journey to the West will definitely appreciate the Spider's Queen minifigure.  Although the set is called speedboat, I do feel after building the set the Spider mech is way better in terms of design and look compared to the speedboat.   Yes, the theme is overpriced but the contents often quite good.  Great minifigures and parts.  This set though, is a cheaper way to get both Pigsy and Sandy in one set. I do recommend this set if you like this theme or keen in getting a cool spider mech build, a few modifications would easily made the mech into a legit spider.  

You forgot about poor Mo the Cat. :cry_sad: I’m a bit on the fence with this one, because of the price, but I think the minifigures are going to persuade me. Even more now that you gave such a glowing review of the Spider Queen build. 

On 8/2/2020 at 4:26 PM, Vindicare said:

You forgot about poor Mo the Cat.

did I?  I think I briefly mentioned it when talking a bout sandy.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:26 PM, Vindicare said:

but I think the minifigures are going to persuade me. Even more now that you gave such a glowing review of the Spider Queen build

yes, if you don't have those minifigs then this is a good set to buy as the other sets price are even more ridiculous.  I wish they exclude the speedboat with a $20 cheaper price tag =P

1 hour ago, Pchan1983 said:

did I?  I think I briefly mentioned it when talking a bout sandy.

yes, if you don't have those minifigs then this is a good set to buy as the other sets price are even more ridiculous.  I wish they exclude the speedboat with a $20 cheaper price tag =P

Oh, I meant in the pros & cons list. I hadn’t gotten around ti watching your video at that time. I’m definitely happy to see them in a smaller set as it’s snot too likely I would make my way through my to buy list to end up buying the ship, as cool as it is. I would’ve liked more for that price, even though it has bigger than usual pieces & the bigfig.