Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Announcing the Modular LEGO® Intermodal Standard

Normally I don't like to spam the forum with BMR posts, but hopefully you guys will enjoy this one.

Today we have a special article from guest writer Cameron Miller announcing a new Modular Intermodal Standard for LEGO® trains co developed by Brick Model Railroader and Brick Train Depot.

Read the article here.

And for those who want to skip straight to the Standards Document.

Modular LEGO® Intermodal Standard v1

Cale Leiphart

BMR

Edited by Cale

I'm loving this standard, @Cale! My brain is churning already on how to break it. ;-)

Is BMR thinking of suggesting a specific container length for LUG/LTC swapping? One of the joys of the LUG/LTC swaps was that there was one footprint and design for those specific projects.

1 hour ago, TJJohn12 said:

I'm loving this standard, @Cale! My brain is churning already on how to break it. ;-)

Is BMR thinking of suggesting a specific container length for LUG/LTC swapping? One of the joys of the LUG/LTC swaps was that there was one footprint and design for those specific projects.

I cant speak for BMR but as the writer of the article and part of generating the standard, I would suggest the 20' container size because it is the same as the Maersk train set containers. This would enable clubs who may not build larger, 8 wide, builds to also participate. 

Nice work. I'm still living in the 6-wide, but my containers have grown to fill that. This gives me an idea of what's running on other rails and how close I am size wise. Good work folks.

Very cool!  I've wanted to mess around with containers for a while now, but the sticky point (arr-arr) has been the connection points.  I think this is very nice solution.

I've added this to my ever-growing to-do list.  (Better to be too busy than not busy enough! :classic: )

8 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

I cant speak for BMR but as the writer of the article and part of generating the standard, I would suggest the 20' container size because it is the same as the Maersk train set containers. This would enable clubs who may not build larger, 8 wide, builds to also participate. 

Yes, that seems like the most sensible. The 20ft is the simplest and cheapest. Very easy to mass produce.

Cale

Very nice work here! I have been looking to build some well cars, so this is good timing since now there will be a standard for containers. :thumbup:  Appreciate the leadership of BMR and Brick Train Depot for the hobby in this regard. Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I like the anchoring system! :thumbup:

The anchoring system is what defines the new BMW Intermodal Container system that this thread announced. All I've done is update my design to make it compatible with that system. The previous design was compatible with the Maersk containers.

good. judging from the measurements set in the file my 65" gondola's

65' Gondola

are right on par at 52 studs long

21 hours ago, Barduck said:

good. judging from the measurements set in the file my 65" gondola's

65' Gondola

are right on par at 52 studs long

Most gondolas are measured on the inside of the gondola. So 65’ is 52 studs on the inside but that is obviously not always possible to model exactly in LEGO.