Sign in to follow this  
Sérgio

English Electric - Takargo 1449

Takargo Rail is a Portuguese rail transport company founded in 2006 by Mota-Engil, the company was the first private train operator in Portugal, operating trains in 2008.The company is involved in the rail transport of maritime intermodal freight and bulk freights.

Takargo only Have 3 Models of Locomotives:

Euro 4000 from Vossloh/Stadler 

MX-620 (class1550) from Montreal Locomotive Works

and

1400 Class from English Electric.

this is my favorite one, it is smaller, but strong, it is agile.

7wide, lots of snot, the most satisfied part for me was building the cabin with two windscreens 2 x 6 x 2 on sides and flags on top.

this locomotive is prepared to have 9V or PF/PU it have room do pass the cable, but the Battery box have to go on a second waggon (I build a small waggon to that)

50169574628_211827ae39_c.jpg

50171505512_064da61198_c.jpg

50168964783_df3c6bfa32_c.jpg

the truth is, this is a second version, because I build this locomotive several years ago with real bricks, before even exist that curved slopes or round plates 1x2

48003682351_20b9f2cf9a_c.jpg

6e12bd7645e7338537f735dc8e78c637.jpg

Just now, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Boy, the real thing is really weird looking - like a staving F-unit. I like how you did the windows.

It looks like a sad puppy eyes :laugh:

8358007462_841a3c507b_c.jpg

it is not weird to me, I got used to seeing them, in Portugal exists more than 60units most of them are Orange:

4968256340_cb4c24d213_c.jpg

I also did a Lego version:

48452876722_483d25e067_c.jpg
Almost 10 year old version
6960852596_3e1b426ec2_c.jpg

Some of them are blue:

800px-CP_1424_(26344418794).jpg
48460689376_953b28d888_c.jpg

And the old version to:

14054151506_2017186d83_c.jpg

And there is also a Yellow one:

31354300864_5de12c9e9b_c.jpg

48467618346_72d6e381e7_c.jpg

There is more, some of the orange were sold to Argentina, and they change the colors also:

EE_Argentina_1400_Linea_gsm2.jpg

03_-_06_-_2006_-_Crdoba.jpg

Have you considered using angled 15068s as the cab roof instead of the flags? Yes, it would make it slightly thicker, but the original locomotive's roof is noticeably contoured. 

Sergio, I really like your ever growing collection of Portugese locomotives, especially since it gives a lot of interesting insight into the extreme diversity of sources for said locomotives.  Like I never knew that they had British designs or even a North American one (As soon as I saw the Takargo 1565, I thought it looked like the type of old Alco road-switcher/general purpose locomotive that was popular in the US from the 1950's to the 1980's, and sure enough, MLW was a division of Alco).  Still it was rather interesting seeing something that looked so familiar running on European rails.

12 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Have you considered using angled 15068s as the cab roof instead of the flags? Yes, it would make it slightly thicker, but the original locomotive's roof is noticeably contoured. 

That's a great Idea, I reuse my older design when the curve slops dont even exist, I never tough before, using on the roof with clips :)

Thank you, I will Improve it all :)

1 hour ago, Laura Beinbrech said:

Sergio, I really like your ever growing collection of Portugese locomotives, especially since it gives a lot of interesting insight into the extreme diversity of sources for said locomotives.  Like I never knew that they had British designs or even a North American one (As soon as I saw the Takargo 1565, I thought it looked like the type of old Alco road-switcher/general purpose locomotive that was popular in the US from the 1950's to the 1980's, and sure enough, MLW was a division of Alco).  Still it was rather interesting seeing something that looked so familiar running on European rails.

Thank you :)

Currently, the Portuguese train fleet is not as diversified, but in the 1970s, there was a lot of North American diesel material, Alco, Whitecomb, General Eletric. The Portuguese and Spanish gauge is different from the Rest of the world, it was a decision taken to prevent invasions during the Second World War, like all the material that came from an outside that had been adapted to circulate here, and then to proceed with electrification, diesel locomotives were pulled over and replaced by more modern electric ones.

Some american locomotives (already in Lego version)

Alco:
48428920036_d081d8c895_c.jpg

48622600367_37d4b74fa5_c.jpg

Whitcomb:

48420854797_8e7d898afa_c.jpg

General Electric:

50035634983_9246e7b063_c.jpg

Budd:

48384623691_0d7a3a5bff_c.jpg

3 hours ago, Sérgio said:

That's a great Idea, I reuse my older design when the curve slops dont even exist, I never tough before, using on the roof with clips :)

No problem - I figured that's what it was. 

Ironically, I recently became interested in another English Electric product: the Lightning:

800px-English_Electric_Lightning_F.53_'X

Weird to think that they built planes and trains.

That's pretty interesting, Sergio.  You might find it kinda interesting that a railway preservation group in Pennsylvania has a piece of Portuguese equipment that it runs:  The Rockhill Trolley Museum has one of the original Porto street trams that was built by CCFP(STCP) in 1929 and acquired by the museum when STCP was modernizing its tram fleet back in the 1980's, IIRC...

I would agree that (out of its native habitat) this is an unusual prototype, but it has some great curves to it and clearly a challenge to do in lego. Your windshield trick is brilliant and I would agree with...

20 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

... and go further to suggest doing so for the top of the short hood as well (it looks like it would be well modeled with 1x3 curved slopes, but you only have 5 studs to work with)... actually it looks promising for the long hood too.

2 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Weird to think that they built planes and trains.

Boeing tried to do that too, with abysmal results.

I really like this model. I've noticed going through all these photos in this thread of your models, is that you have a tendency to have very creative and unique coupler and buffer designs. Super interesting stuff! Can't wait to see more!

The shaping and parts usage - especially the 2x6 cab windows sideways on for those gorgeous cab windows - on this model is fantastic. And it's topped off by your beautiful renders - I think you've outdone yourself this time, especially with the blue one.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:41 AM, Sérgio said:

48460689376_953b28d888_c.jpg

Excellent work all around, well done!

On 8/1/2020 at 5:19 PM, Laura Beinbrech said:

That's pretty interesting, Sergio.  You might find it kinda interesting that a railway preservation group in Pennsylvania has a piece of Portuguese equipment that it runs:  The Rockhill Trolley Museum has one of the original Porto street trams that was built by CCFP(STCP) in 1929 and acquired by the museum when STCP was modernizing its tram fleet back in the 1980's, IIRC...

The old trams from Oporto are gorgeous :)

On 8/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

In Europe we have some trains build by Fiat, Rolls Royce, Siemens :)

On 8/2/2020 at 6:30 AM, Legownz said:

I really like this model. I've noticed going through all these photos in this thread of your models, is that you have a tendency to have very creative and unique coupler and buffer designs. Super interesting stuff! Can't wait to see more!

Thank you, I always try to avoid using buffer parts and build my own, I like to use some different parts, like old tires and gears and flowers :)

22 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

The shaping and parts usage - especially the 2x6 cab windows sideways on for those gorgeous cab windows - on this model is fantastic. And it's topped off by your beautiful renders - I think you've outdone yourself this time, especially with the blue one.

Excellent work all around, well done!

Thank you :)

That blue one it is the most Prestige/Exclusive train in Portugal, it calls "Presidential Train"

Travel on this it costs more or less the same as build it in real bricks.
https://www.thepresidentialtrain.com/en/home

I was invite to make a 1 hour travel on that just because I build a Lego version (old version, not the render), it was a good experience :)

26286996956_a1c71f0081_c.jpg

My first version made 6 or 7 years ago

14054151506_2017186d83_c.jpg

On 7/31/2020 at 9:36 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I try, and have mixed feelings, now the roof looks more an Alco RS... I think it is more thicker than I expected

50183809448_20100ba0c5_c.jpg

I love the use of gear wheels as buffers. This is not something that's ever occurred to me before, and now I really want to try it out (at least in Studio). Thanks for sharing this!