Sign in to follow this  
kodlovag

[MOC] [Control+] WTCC Race Car

I would like to show you my latest creation, a WTCC race car. It does not follow any existing brand or livery, it is purely imaginary.

50167726962_1330407ea5_b.jpg

Features:

• 'Hybrid' drivetrain: Fake engine drives the front wheels, 2x Control+ XL motors drive the rear wheels
  • Steering: 1x Control+ L motor
  • Working steering wheel
  • Opening doors and hood. Rubber bands keep them in closed position.
  • Easy to access batteries and green start button.

I used the wheels of the Defender with the normal supercar tires, so the car is 1:10 in scale. The rear axle uses the new planetary hub. So far, I could not find a way, how to build a planetary hub based front axle with drive and decent steering angle and suspension. That's why the drivetrain is limited to the current solution, and is not 4 wheels drive. I'm using the Control+ app, with the 42099 Crawler's setup to drive the car.

The only thing i don't like in the car, that the 5x7 panels in the hood does not exist in bright light orange, so I had to use orange ones.

See more images on my flickr album

50167728887_928995deca_b.jpg

50167473506_8ded9cfd49_b.jpg

50167727007_12e8a70beb_b.jpg

Very nice! - It’s great to see your own take on a touring car, we definitely need more touring cars In general in the Technic world! I also love that you have used stickers from a range of sets to create a livery - it looks spot on and is a great way to reuse some of those old, stickered-up panels.:wink: The only thing I think I would change is those wheels, I’m not a huge fan of the Defender rims alongside your bodywork, but I do still appreciate the unique use of these rim designs! Great job - keep up the good work!:wink::thumbup:

Edited by All_About_Lego

Great MOC, thanks for sharing! The first impression is always important and I must say I liked that front view instantly :thumbup:!

Surprisingly the colour vomit between yellow/bright light orange/orange/red isn´t as much disturbing, it indeed resembles a „natural“ racecar where the colours have no bigger meaning other than be distinctive from the competitors on the racetrack.

The following isn´t meant as critics, jsut my opinion. Although this is a freestyle creation, there are no limits or boundaries of course, I wish the part behind the wheels to be a little bit longer for aesthetical reasons, featuring side view proportions like in a „regular“ sedan. The gaps above the rear wheel arches are slightly too big for my taste.

I´m not familiar with these white pieces you have used on the sides of the seats (bionicle?..)

Please make a video of the driving car, I think many of us would like to see the performance you achieved with the new electronics.

Nice little creation. I like it a lot despite the colour craziness. Does not look like any of the cars on the WTCC/WTCR grid but is definitely interesting. 

As with all race cars: is it fast?

I like the look of this !
Have you planned any instructions, or can I try to reverse engineer it ?

Wow looks great. I like how you made those fender arches work laterally at the front and back. How do the new XL-motors work compared to the pfs?

Thank you for all the comments

On 7/30/2020 at 8:39 PM, All_About_Lego said:

I’m not a huge fan of the Defender rims alongside your bodywork, but I do still appreciate the unique use of these rim designs!

True, this rim is not made for sport cars, but this is the only one with features the pivot point closer to the center of the wheel. So it turns more realistically. So I like it, and I will probably prefer to use it in the future.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:43 PM, brunojj1 said:

I´m not familiar with these white pieces you have used on the sides of the seats (bionicle?..)

The part is 32177, and it came parallel in several lines, like Technic, StarWars and Bionicle, some 20 years ago. The seat design is inspired by the Supercar Delux2 by Crowkillers.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:43 PM, brunojj1 said:

Please make a video of the driving car, I think many of us would like to see the performance you achieved with the new electronics.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, Qukie said:

As with all race cars: is it fast?

At this moment the car is rather slow. It has approximately the same gearing as the crawler, but the crawler has bigger tires. So the crawler is actually a bit faster :grin:. But not for long... I am very unlucky with RC cars, and I wanted the first iteration to be safely working. Now this is my first RC car, which works flawlessly. Since last week I spent some time to redesign the gearing, and add an extra pair of gears at the back of the car into a position, where the gears can be easily changed. I will rebuild the car tomorrow, and replace a 12:20 gearing to 16:16, 20:12 and 24:8. And I will see which one works the best, and how fast could it be..

On 7/31/2020 at 5:05 PM, Touc4nx said:

I like the look of this !
Have you planned any instructions, or can I try to reverse engineer it ?

I have the LDD design, but I never release the design files, or any instructions. It is a lot of effort to produce them, and the easiest way for the Chinese companies to steel your design. This would be a kind of unwanted acknowledgement. But if you put all the hard work to reverse engineer it, and build a copy for yourself, feel free to do it. The car is about 1450 pieces, so it is not impossible. Here is some help about the chassis. But you probably have to make some adjustment on the front suspension: I used compatible CaDa shock absorbers, which are exactly the same, as the genuine lego ones, but about 25% harder. And that extra stiffness is necessary, because the motors and the batteries make the car too heavy, and otherwise the front suspension is compressed too much.

50185993682_435c4e159b_o.png

On 8/1/2020 at 3:03 AM, CF 28 said:

How do the new XL-motors work compared to the pfs?

Unfortunately I cannot tell, because I have only CaDa copy of PF electronics, which uses only 2 cells LiPo batteries, therefor the performance is weak. This was the exact reason why I decided to purchase the new electronics. But I'm still waiting for 3 cells rechargeable batteries for the new hubs.

Edited by kodlovag

I made some modifications on the gear ratios, in order to test the max speed. I changed a 12:20 ratio to 16:16, and the car could reach 0.5 m/s speed. However, further increasing the gear ratio to 20:12 causing some gears to jump at full throttle. I cannot see, which gears. Most probably the small 12z half conical gears in the first differential, which couples the two motors. These gears face the highest torque, all the other gears are more robust.

It seems, that it is not a good idea to couple the motors with a differential. But it was necessary to reach high gear ratio, because the diff could add x2 up gearing by locking one of the outputs. Well, I learned something, again.