coaster

1225 North Pole Railroad

@zephyr1934 ha. I'm not saying this is a great model and I could do it myself, to do this myself it would take years to reverse engineer every part of this and as I think it can be done it would take a looooooooooooooooong time to do so.  I understand how hard it is to do this stuff and at times it is not fun.  Also the expense of this product is 100% justifiable.

$500.00 parts

$100.00 custom stuff

$20 instruction booklet

$60 loop of r104(yes I know it costs $120 to buy it but that is not the cost to make it so I am going off of of 50% margins which is standard in manufacturing)

Right there is $680 and he has to still make a profit so I think $1250 is justifiable with 50% margens.  And add in your time and this could easily have been sold for more, look at BMR's T1 that was sold for $2000 and the S100 from Brickmania for the same price as the Christmas set, I think this has a better value then the S100. 

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:
  • "that's a lot of money" + "I could do at least as good myself" = "he's crazy"

What you might want to be thinking,

• "that's a lot of money" + "I could do at least as good myself" = "maybe I should look into making instructions to sell"
  • "that's a lot of money" + "I could do at least as good myself" = "next time I build an engine for myself, get enough parts for 1-2 extra copies and I could sell those for $1000 ea." + "(but I'll hold off buying the really expensive bits until I've made a sale)"
  • "that's a lot of money" + "I could do at least as good myself" = "maybe I should solicit commissions to build one of my designs for a customer at $500-$1000 up front"

Surprisingly I do think that way(the bottom part) I want to build stuff for commission or buy 3 hogwarts express locos in 10 years $$$$.  I have thought of making instructions to sell.  But to build for commision I want to make a name for myself first, I want to be known as a great builder before I ask people for their money.  Also have you read the form on New England BrickWorks that is still in the works, and I know about the time and effort that goes into designing things and looking at cost. 

-Conner and Cole

What a gorgeous set!  I don't see a flaw in it.  If I had the $, I would buy This over a Lionel Christmas train!

Its models like this that inspire me to stay in this hobby!

First batch of pre-orders ship out tomorrow, the rest will ship out on Monday (I can only do so much in a day).  I'll have some sets available after next week.

This has been fun, but boy am I sick of sorting parts!

13 hours ago, coaster said:

This has been fun, but boy am I sick of sorting parts!

Sorting parts can be fun indeed. But in your case, I think it is a waste of talent. Please focus on your track system, the next months will decide which company will be the main supplier of molded tracks. It's obvious that TrixBrix and BlueBrixx have ambitious plans. Use your lead position and be the first to offer other elements. 

3 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Sorting parts can be fun indeed. But in your case, I think it is a waste of talent. Please focus on your track system, the next months will decide which company will be the main supplier of molded tracks. It's obvious that TrixBrix and BlueBrixx have ambitious plans. Use your lead position and be the first to offer other elements. 

I quite likely have far more track designs than either of them, but I can only have so many molds made at once.  This really didn't take anything away from that, as there is a lot of waiting around as molds get cut.  It was a nice change of pace.