Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Mysterious Mail Car

indexed.gif

Mysterious Mail Car

If you follow the dusty train tracks past Crawford's Junction, you'll discover a section of track that leads to nowhere. On this desolate rusting track, you may find a Mysterious Mail Car resting quietly in the dark of night. Something is creepy about the wagon, something frightful. The door to the wagon is not locked, but rather open just slightly. A crate of mail rests outside the car with an unopened letter. What mystery about Grave Stone might the letter reveal? but worse, what evil lurks within the Mysterious Mail Car? :skull:

The third addition to Ghost Train, the Mysterious Mail Car:

mailcar.jpg

Brickster, this is another wonderful addition to your train. :blush:

I hope to find the content too. Hehe, it looks great as usual. Just a comment or two. Hmm, I am not sure why you select yellow color as part of the whole theme for the "Mail car". I understand that most mail theme is surrounded by yellow such as the recent mail van. I just felt that the yellow is a little out of this picture. Just want to know the reason of you using yellow though. :wink:

That is cool!

The brown "log bricks" you used to represent wood make it look that much better! Very nice MOC.

Thanks for the comments FT and WF.

I am not sure why you select yellow color as part of the whole theme for the "Mail car". I understand that most mail theme is surrounded by yellow such as the recent mail van. I just felt that the yellow is a little out of this picture. Just want to know the reason of you using yellow though. :wink:

Good question. Classic Train (#3225) had some great accessories including the mail cart and mail crate. I've always liked these additions to the train theme and wanted to include these parts for their rarity. As far as the color, I'm OK with the yellow and don't mind a little exra color in the otherwise black & grey Grave Stone imagery. In addition, as you mentioned, Lego uses yellow for mail and I like to keep an element of Lego tradition in all my MOCs.

EDIT:

The brown "log bricks" you used to represent wood make it look that much better! Very nice MOC.

Thanks. I'm glad you pointed out the brown log pieces. I built this MOC a few days ago and had used light green to match the passenger train (also a black roof). I did not like the result at all so rebuilt it this morning using the brown logs, as well as the dark grey roof. I like it much better.

Very unique concept... You just keep heading off in new directions, which for a small theme is great!

God Bless,

Nathan

I might make a non spooky one myself.

That would be interesting. Please share if you do AR.

Very unique concept... You just keep heading off in new directions, which for a small theme is great!

Thanks Norro. That means a lot coming from you. I'm almost done with the train part of Grave Stone.

I think that Wild West still has a lot of possibilities.

A mail car, of course! What a great idea.... and well done too. Letters from hell, huh? Pretty spooky! :thumbup:

Nice to see the WW theme continuing with some great MOCs, especially this one (I like all the Grave Stone creations). Immaculately presented, as always!

:thumbup:

I don’t think it’s as good as the previous train carriages – please don’t be offended they were a leap about superb, this is just very good. To me it feels like there is something missing from it, it seems a little squared and regular, maybe a platform at then end of the carriage or something to break it up a little and that’d catapult it into the superb category.

Good question. Classic Train (#3225) had some great accessories including the mail cart and mail crate. I've always liked these additions to the train theme and wanted to include these parts for their rarity. As far as the color, I'm OK with the yellow and don't mind a little exra color in the otherwise black & grey Grave Stone imagery. In addition, as you mentioned, Lego uses yellow for mail and I like to keep an element of Lego tradition in all my MOCs.

Brickster, thanks for pointing out that very classic review of yours. I truly enjoyed reading this classic review. I did not know there is such wonderful classic train set around. It looks simply fanastic. I can't believed that was actually 10 years ago, and I can missed it. Maybe, it never come to my country at all, or I am still a teenager then and is unable to afford LEGO :cry_sad:

You have done well to complement it with your Wild West town. I love it so much. This set certainly retains the classic looks! And, for the question that I asked, I totally understand the yellow concept for your sets. Great job, Brickster! :thumbup:

I'm almost done with the train part of Grave Stone.

I think that Wild West still has a lot of possibilities.

With you, definitely...

God Bless,

Nathan

Something I really like about your rail car is that worked down, beaten-up look of a ghost town you have going. The door, the roof, and that dead arm are only the beginning. The ladders and smokestack are really nice, and the log pieces of course follow with the rest of the train. Great MOC!

Great stuff TP (you don't mind if I call you that do you?), I'm a big fan of log bricks so this is great to me, you never cease ot amaze how you can squeeze so many awesome mocs from a single idea (train). Nice mystery too, I'd hate to get that mail, I like the skeleton hand, nice touch there.

Do all these add ons connect to the whole train?

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Nice to see the WW theme continuing with some great MOCs, especially this one (I like all the Grave Stone creations). Immaculately presented, as always!

Thanks Basiliscus. I've got some more creations up my sleave. :wink:

I don’t think it’s as good as the previous train carriages – please don’t be offended they were a leap about superb, this is just very good. To me it feels like there is something missing from it, it seems a little squared and regular, maybe a platform at then end of the carriage or something to break it up a little and that’d catapult it into the superb category.

No offense taken Cardinal. I appreciate your honesty. I rebuilt this little box car a number of times trying to capture an otherwise plain wagon. I think the final result came out much better than the other builds. Building it in just black (which I had originally done), was just too plain - although somewhat more mysterious. I had to add the brown log pieces and the grey roof just to add some color and detail. I had seen a clever idea that I might incorporate in a future MOC. I like the final picture too much to rework this one.

Brickster, thanks for pointing out that very classic review of yours. I truly enjoyed reading this classic review. I did not know there is such wonderful classic train set around. It looks simply fanastic. I can't believed that was actually 10 years ago, and I can missed it.

Your welcome WF. If I did see this set in stores (in the US), I don't remember, or I passed it up during my dark-age era. I picked this up a number of years later on E-Bay, and I'm glad I did. It did not include track, which makes the set incomplete from a stand-alone set perspective. Now with the issue of different track colors, I would have loved a set like the Classic Train.

You have done well to complement it with your Wild West town. I love it so much. This set certainly retains the classic looks! And, for the question that I asked, I totally understand the yellow concept for your sets. Great job, Brickster!

Thanks. The Euro-Freight #4563 Train provided some inspiration as well. Brickset is down at the moment, otherwise I'd post a picture.

With you, definitely...

definately more to come.

Something I really like about your rail car is that worked down, beaten-up look of a ghost town you have going.

Thanks. I could still use a lesson from some of the post-apoc creators though, to create a more beat-down look. I never really build a creation as old - this is definately something I need to keep in mind when I'm building these.

I'm a big fan of log bricks so this is great to me, you never cease ot amaze how you can squeeze so many awesome mocs from a single idea (train). Nice mystery too, I'd hate to get that mail, I like the skeleton hand, nice touch there.

Do all these add ons connect to the whole train?

Thanks BB. Yes, they do. I'm starting to run out of space on the old bookshelf though. Here's a pic of the train (without the recent addition though (the Freight Wagon)):

0ghosttrain.jpg

What I'm enjoying most about this is that each train car is completely different, and building them reminds me of buying the My Own Train collection and building each car as an addition to my first WW town. It's been fun, but the photo-editing tedious. I'm learning new tricks every day though, and how to make the images look better. Thanks for all the great feedback!

Again a great WW Train MOC, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

The mail car looks very nice - I prefer the yellow mailcars in contrast to the new red ones.

But who is now the evil who lurks within your Mysterious Mail Car?! I can't wait to see him/her/it :skull: !

Klaus-Dieter

I prefer the yellow mailcars in contrast to the new red ones.

I'm not sure I know what you mean KD. Has there been a Lego Train Mailcar?

I just found this searching Brickset:

7820-1.jpg Have there been yellow ones?

I'm not sure I know what you mean KD. Has there been a Lego Train Mailcar?

I just found this searching Brickset:

7820-1.jpg Have there been yellow ones?

Excuse me, TheBrickster!

I wanted to write yellow mailboxes - that's indeed something totally different :sceptic::laugh: !

Klaus-Dieter

I wanted to write yellow mailboxes - that's indeed something totally different :sceptic::laugh: !

Now I understand. Thanks for clarifying.