Sign in to follow this  
spaceman76

The Chapel of Lindisfarne

As I have completed my latest layout last year, I choose to add some extra buildings, so the layout can be more flexible in size and content. Because the lake is modular, its easy to make it fit depending on the show and transport. After the watchtower was done, a friend of mine suggested that I should build a medieval inspired chapel. He found a some pictures online and send them to me. One particular stod out and I choose to go with that in mind. First I build the landscape island, where others were build with wedge plates, this one is 1x2 dark green slopes snotted in many levels. Now the chapel is build as an octogonal shape with 9 studs between each joint. Most important in the lower part is the frosted mosaic windows. Next section was build seperately, so its modular in 2 sections. As I reached the roof, I started to doubt how I could make it work and fit. It took many tests to finally nail it. The first part of the roof is tiltes with hinges in the back and attatched to a center beam in the middle of the structure. Next up was the mid part of the roof, and it really made troubles for me. I came down to a solution to use magnets, so the small panels can come off. Above the center beam I added magnets to where the panels should fit and on the back of each panel another magnet. It works really good and holds a strong position. In between the panels, there are some gabs that I filled up with some beams of 1x2 round brick. The greenery is not much, but a twisted gnarly tree makes it all look great. I also added some wild growing stems crawling of the walls. Overall I think this one is one of my best mocs ever. Please enjoy and comment if you like.

The Chapel Of LindisfarneThe Chapel Of LindisfarneThe Chapel Of LindisfarneThe Chapel Of LindisfarneThe Chapel Of Lindisfarne50155885656_b466460327_b.jpg

50155885781_ff540274ba_b.jpgThe Chapel Of Lindisfarne

Edited by spaceman76

Great tower :classic:
It has kind of a 'strange' style (positive way) not like all the others. Like the coloring too and those details. It gives it a bit Gothic look ... but different.

Also like the greenery and the roof... clever thinking, using magnets.

I really like the chapel.  The archway for the front door is very nice.  The roof is great, nice use of magnets.  The detailing on the outer walls is great.  Great stained glass windows too.  The base and landscaping is well done, I like the plants and the fact you have a path that wraps around.  

Looks nice.  I like the plants, tree, windows, the wall detailing at the bottom, and interesting use of magnets to attach the roof pieces. Certainly a nice addition to the lake!  :classic: 

So many good things to see on this moc, the combination of colours, the shapes and forms, the base itself and clever uses of pieces. This is very nice moc. Congrats. :)

Nice build! The building techniques are so clever!

Edited by JintaiZ