Beck

[MOC/WIP] EH800 JRF

Thanks alot! Really helps, really interesting design. Not sure whether this has been asked before, but how sturdy is this design? Been fiddling around with a different design that uses the 2x8 with holes on it to keep it together as well, but it seems to warp a bit. 

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That's some impressive work

Thank you! 

54 minutes ago, Amoreternum said:

Thanks alot! Really helps, really interesting design. Not sure whether this has been asked before, but how sturdy is this design? Been fiddling around with a different design that uses the 2x8 with holes on it to keep it together as well, but it seems to warp a bit. 

It's really sturdy and works very well. Although, the side decorations sometimes fall off if the bogie is handled roughly, but overall I can recommend this design.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:43 AM, Beck said:

Thanks very much! Are you referring to steve5010? The tiles connected with a single 1x1 tile with clip look quite weak. I'm not sure if they were built to look good or to run real train on them.

Yes I did, I have tested the concept to make narrow gauge switches and it works well.  I think the main reason to do this is so you can build switches as there are no 3rd party options for that gauge of track. The other thing you can do is keep lego track and build at a larger scale but this may feel strange next to your other locomotives. 

On 8/1/2020 at 5:19 AM, Coal Fired Bricks said:

Yes I did, I have tested the concept to make narrow gauge switches and it works well.

Really? I'm quite surprised. How fast were the trains moving through the switches and were there any derailments?

On 8/1/2020 at 12:36 PM, Craig Strader said:

Looks good. All it needs now are just some freight cars for it to pull. So it really was an EMU in real life?

Thanks! It's not an EMU; it's just a semi-permanently coupled locomotive. The M250 Series is an example of a freight EMU.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, Mrlikesninjagomoviethings said:

It looks pretty nice

Thanks!

Here's the rolling stock I plan to build for the locomotive:

Koki100 - 1

koki100-52.jpg

I tried to keep the design on the simpler side, so I could keep the price relatively low. However, the bogie is going to be quite complex since it is designed for 5 wide track. I'm considering using bricktrack's wheel sets and cutting the axles by one stud.

Edited by Beck

On 8/6/2020 at 12:29 AM, Beck said:

Here's the rolling stock I plan to build for the locomotive:

Koki100 - 1

Nice! One thought though, maybe extend the flat car 2 studs and distribute the gap between the containers so that it doesn't wind up looking like a long box car from a distance.

13 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Nice! One thought though, maybe extend the flat car 2 studs and distribute the gap between the containers so that it doesn't wind up looking like a long box car from a distance.

Great idea, two studs would allow for a half stud gap between each container, but I just feel so committed to realism that I'm kinda conflicted. Perhaps some JRF stickers on each container might help.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:29 AM, Beck said:

Really? I'm quite surprised. How fast were the trains moving through the switches and were there any derailments?

I would say a moderate switching speed not super fast. For the switching mechanism is used the below to test it the way you want to I would suggest sticking the tiles in plates.  

220px-ThreeWayStub.jpg

I really love the narrow gauge track you implemented - and this locomotive is a very nice exercise of style and functionality. The 3d printed wheels are cute!!!

Thumbs up!!! :classic:

Davide

Nice work! seldom see Japanese train on this forum

I am also working on Shinkansen E4max but having troubles on the coupling

Wish me luck and I will try releasing asap

8 hours ago, Camoran said:

I am also working on Shinkansen E4max but having troubles on the coupling

Wish me luck and I will try releasing asap

Why not start a new thread and post pictures of what is giving you troubles? There are plenty of folks around these parts who might be able to offer suggestions.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, Coal Fired Bricks said:

I would say a moderate switching speed not super fast. For the switching mechanism is used the below to test it the way you want to I would suggest sticking the tiles in plates.  

220px-ThreeWayStub.jpg

Good to know! 

On 8/11/2020 at 2:26 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

I really love the narrow gauge track you implemented - and this locomotive is a very nice exercise of style and functionality. The 3d printed wheels are cute!!!

Thumbs up!!! :classic:

Davide

Thanks!

On 8/13/2020 at 10:40 PM, Camoran said:

seldom see Japanese train on this forum

I hope to change that. :wink:

On 8/17/2020 at 12:30 PM, Brickwolf said:

Great build of a very interesting prototype!

Thanks!

On 8/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Tbx Nicolas said:

Looking forward for the rolling stocks and 5 gauge tracks. Great build !

I doubt I'll be making any 5 wide tracks and switches anytime soon and the rolling stock will likely take a several months.

It's finally done! The 3D printed wheels were painted light bluish gray to match the the bogies. Thread was used to attach the brown tubing atop the locomotive to the round 1x1 plates. To continue the white and gray stripe around the front of each cab, I used thin strips of electrical tape. 

EH800 - 1

EH800 - 2