T Lego

Technic-rims.com: a brand new webstore for custom 3D printed rims

Ever since the arrival of the UCS sets there has been an increased demand for custom authentic 3D printed Lego rims to bring the looks of a MOC (or set) to a new level. This inspired some AFOLs including me to create an online store making it possible for everyone to get their hands on some spectacular rim replications of a large variety of Cars plus being able to request a new rim design. All credits go to Felipe Evangelista (Creator of the website and the printer/shipper of the rim store), Daniel Meursing (Creator of the rim designs in Autodesk fusion 360). Also, many thanks to Charbel Imad for the fantastic introduction video.

Nearly all rims consist of two 3D printed parts: the rim base and spokes. They snap perfectly together just like original Lego parts. Three ¾ pins snap together with the spokes. Now the assembly is identical to the Bugatti Chiron and Lamborghini Sian rims. Most of the spokes even have a stud in the centre to put on a round tile with a car brand. The rim base and spokes can be ordered separately so when you want a new design you only have to order spokes as you can use the same rim base from the previous assembly.

20200725_164821.jpg20200725_165348.jpg

20200725_165336.jpg20200725_165405.jpg

IMG-20200724-WA0018.jpg

20200716_171645.jpg

IMG-20200708-WA0001.jpg

15 unique designs are currently being offered from 8 different brands and many more are being created as we speak. A few have been shown before in MOCs like Dugald’s Koenigsegg Regera and my Lamborghini Centenario. The rims from the Lamborghini Sian set are available too. Feel free to check out the website and the available rim designs here: https://technic-rims.com/ 

We hope the community finds it useful! Have a nice day!

Looks nice, I’ve been dabbling with custom rims for my 42110, it’s good fun.

Edited by Bartybum

Is any caution needed here in terms of using the makers' logos? I think so.

The wheel designs look good and the quality looks great fir a 3D ptinted piece. But the prices are pretty hard to swallow... I know stuff like this isn't cheap, but I'll be printing my own wheels before I pay 80 bucks for a set of 4, sorry. 

Would you also sell the printing file for the wheels, so people who already own a 3D Printer can print them at home? That would be pretty cool. 

3 hours ago, amorti said:

Is any caution needed here in terms of using the makers' logos? I think so.

Lol I was thinking that too. That page is just nonstop copyright and trademark violations

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Lol I was thinking that too. That page is just nonstop copyright and trademark violations

But I'm sure using other people's IP to sell a product here is different to all the Chinese bootleg Lego and moc stealing companies. *Definitely* not the same thing at all. Right?

8 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

The wheel designs look good and the quality looks great fir a 3D ptinted piece. But the prices are pretty hard to swallow... I know stuff like this isn't cheap, but I'll be printing my own wheels before I pay 80 bucks for a set of 4, sorry. 

Would you also sell the printing file for the wheels, so people who already own a 3D Printer can print them at home? That would be pretty cool. 

A set of wheels costs 60 euros, Centenario wheels being an exception as it consists of three parts that need to be individually printed. For obvious reasons the 3D files won't be sold.

I am getting tired of the never ending IP discussions on this forum so I won't get into it.

Edited by T Lego

1 minute ago, T Lego said:

I am getting tired of the never ending IP discussions

Its a serious point... IP is property, using it without permission is theft. Being tired of it isn't a great response, whoever owns the website should be treating it professionally and respecting other people's IP... We're not allowed to mention Le*** because they steal TLG's IP, the scale and impact might be different, but its either used with permission, or its not. Scale isn't relevant.

I don't say this to be argumentative as this isn't my opinion, its fact.. 

This is absolutely a good idea for the option of a third-party wheel.
But I am worried about the strength of it since it is made of 2 individual parts and 3 1.5long pins.

The last thing you want on an RC car is the wheels fly off and the bottom scratching the floor.

1 hour ago, T Lego said:

A set of wheels costs 60 euros, Centenario wheels being an exception as it consists of three parts that need to be individually printed. For obvious reasons the 3D files won't be sold.

That's sad to hear, but nothing unexpected. I would have liked to modify your design for some cool JDM wheels, but it seems like I'll have to come up with my own system in the end :classic:

It might be for the better in the end, I have these concerns as well:

6 minutes ago, SamuelYsc said:

But I am worried about the strength of it since it is made of 2 individual parts and 3 1.5long pins.

If I'll finally get to print my own wheels I wil use the old stiff technic pins to hold the wheels in place, It might not look as pretty as these here, but it will be a lot stronger. The two-piece design is clever tho, I like it.

16 minutes ago, SamuelYsc said:

This is absolutely a good idea for the option of a third-party wheel.

The last thing you want on an RC car is the wheels fly off and the bottom scratching the floor.

I have the older version of the Centenario wheels, which used 1/2 pins to connect to the hub. It’s definitely not for RC models but for a manual model there isn’t really any issues as long as you don’t play too hard. There isn’t any issue with the two halves staying connected. The tyre helps with that too. 

1 hour ago, MinusAndy said:

Those look excellent. How about some of these:

You can send a request to the designer via the site to make them.

45 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

What kind of plastic are they 3D printed in?

pla

28 minutes ago, SamuelYsc said:

From my experience the assembly can handle quite a bit of stress. Compressing the suspension on a 1:8 scale car for example. The pins probably can't take the load of a RC car but it shouldn't be a problem if you glue the pins to the spokes.

26 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I have the older version of the Centenario wheels, which used 1/2 pins to connect to the hub. It’s definitely not for RC models but for a manual model there isn’t really any issues as long as you don’t play too hard. There isn’t any issue with the two halves staying connected. The tyre helps with that too. 

10 minutes ago, T Lego said:

You can send a request to the designer via the site to make them.

pla

From my experience the assembly can handle quite a bit of stress. Compressing the suspension on a 1:8 scale car for example. The pins probably can't take the load of a RC car but it shouldn't be a problem if you glue the pins to the spokes.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I will just glue it.

12 hours ago, amorti said:

But I'm sure using other people's IP to sell a product here is different to all the Chinese bootleg Lego and moc stealing companies. *Definitely* not the same thing at all. Right?

Bold of you to assume that I don’t care about IP theft by bootleggers lmao

Edited by Bartybum

Using glue to fix the pins in place schould make it stable enough for static models. 60 Bucks still isn't cheap, but it should be worth it to complete a really nice build.

I will still try to print my wheels myself, because I like doing things myself. But for someone who doesn't own a 3D Printer the wheels you offer here seem like a fine choice :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Bold of you to assume that I don’t care about IP theft by bootleggers lmao

No shots intentionally fired your way mate.

Just aiming at a general hypocrisy on a forum where people accept selling instructions for MOCs at $20+ a throw, listed using car brands they didn't license, rims at $60+ a set, using IP they didn't license, but we can't mention Lepin due to IP theft.

More of an invitation for anyone who thinks the rim site is ok to take a look at what they really believe about IP, and whose is worth protection.

Edited by amorti

23 minutes ago, amorti said:

Just aiming at a general hypocrisy on a forum where people accept selling instructions for MOCs at $20+ a throw, listed using car brands they didn't license, rims at $60+ a set, using IP they didn't license, but we can't mention Lepin due to IP theft.

Aaaah yes now I see. Kudos my dude hehe, totally agree

1 hour ago, amorti said:

Just aiming at a general hypocrisy on a forum

Yep... check out my post yesterday... couldn't agree more.

Looking forward to outfitting my collection with car specific rims to complete the look. 

Over the years the only choice we had was the 911 rims as it's black and fairly generic.  The Bugatti Chiron rims being blue and ugly imo makes it way more difficult to use on other cars.  Sian gold may cut it for some, esp the tuner market but now we finally have options and custom ones too.

Options are good.  Go nuts, think big picture, don't get caught up in all the smaller non-consequencial details.

I like the idea, but the rims are way too expensive for the part quality. I suggest moving away from FDM completely and adopting possibly SLS (w/ peek) for better surface finishes and part strength. 

Also, if you print with PLA I assume you smooth it with possibly ethyl acetate?  Why not print with ABS and smooth with an acetone bath which is easier and safer. The printing itself will be more difficult but the part strength and temperature resilience would be better. 

Not to be a negative Nancy, just offering up some constructive criticism. As it stands FDM surface finishes, even with with smoothing, are not great. Printing with PLA has other complications for parts subjected to load, which could prove problematic in RC applications. With most sellers on alibaba offering injection molded ABS rims for a fraction of the cost, I don’t see how these can be competitive.

2 hours ago, sm1995 said:

I like the idea, but the rims are way too expensive for the part quality. I suggest moving away from FDM completely and adopting possibly SLS (w/ peek) for better surface finishes and part strength. 

Also, if you print with PLA I assume you smooth it with possibly ethyl acetate?  Why not print with ABS and smooth with an acetone bath which is easier and safer. The printing itself will be more difficult but the part strength and temperature resilience would be better. 

That'll raise the cost even further, knocking more people out

@sm1995 This topic in somewhat outdated in that regard. All rims far sale are vapor ones atm and resin printed rims are coming soon. Both are way better than the more conventional PLA. I don't own the store and I am not an expert in this field so I would suggest contacting the owners via the website for your specific questions/criticism. I just request custom 3D printed stuff on the site for my own needs and the quality is superb imo. 

So I tried to look at some of the offerings but you can't without giving your phone number?

Looks to sketchy, I will pass.