efferman

42113 Osprey, Mods and improvements

Thanks for everyone's help.  I really appreciate it.  Ngoc Nguyen, have you had a chance to review the accuracy of Andman's PDF?  I want to order parts, but want to make sure everything looks right first.

2 hours ago, pb007 said:

Thanks for everyone's help.  I really appreciate it.  Ngoc Nguyen, have you had a chance to review the accuracy of Andman's PDF?  I want to order parts, but want to make sure everything looks right first.

The pdfs are all accurate.

Is there any design for an angle-based ratchet mechanism? Something that only transmit power or mesh gears when the angle between two lliftarms exceed 45 degrees or something?

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Hello,

I'm new to thsis forum. First: Thank you for the instructions and fixes! Im rebuilding the set right now but i have one question for the rotor torque fix (step 317, page 250).

In the instruction with the fix, it says skip step 318 and change step 319. But this is only for one rotor. Dumb question: Did i have to do the step for both rotors? It seems logic dto do it for both but im not so into gears etc. so maybe there is a reason for doing it only on one side?

Thanks and best regards, Fabi_Bo

Edited by Fabi_Bo

On 8/8/2020 at 7:19 PM, efferman said:

first complete realtime build can start.

50201674221_a769659c80_c.jpg

50201129913_d92efbe847_c.jpg

Hi @efferman

I know you left this project behind cause you are working on that big truck. Now that it is finished, would you release the osprey io file sometime?

Cheers.:)

Edited by KevS
add @

3 hours ago, KevS said:

would you release the osprey io file sometime?

i will release a instruction when it proofs it functionality

Cool thread!  I wish I had seen this before my son built the version offered by Vonado.  We just made a YouTube video about the whole experience.  We also built a lever to toggle the on/off switch with the older style battery box.  Here is a link to the spot in the video where we built the lever. 

Like you guys mention in this thread (and worse with the Vonado version), the rotors put a lot of strain on the motor (you'll see how bad/slow it rotates in the video).  Vonado's version comes with the older large power function motor.  We ordered the newer Control+ motor which is a little more powerful.

We are going to attempt Ngoc Nguyen's gear mod to see if that will help out situation. 

Hi all, I've managed to mod an old battery box into the hull. Trick was to extend the wheel housing 2 studs forwards.

Second mod was borrowed from an earlier post on this thread, modding the tail. I agree that the curved panel looks better than the original. So I printed the Black Knights logo and laminated it. I don't really like putting stickers on my lego, so taping laminated prints is a good solution in case I want to take the image off in the future.

Next project: turning the wings and folding the props! I'll borrow from Efferman's initial model as much as I can, but will probably make it a manual operation rather than adding another mechanical gear to the structure.

batmod2.jpg

tailmod1.jpg

OK, got the mechanism working.

Thanks to Efferman's photos the basic design was clear. The trick is to get two rotating axes independently moving from each other.

To do this, you can use the hollow clutch mechanism. I've added the stud.io file here so you can see what I mean.

https://jmp.sh/isPv2t8

Next steps are to re-design the fuselage interior, and wing elements.

When done, this is going to be awesome.

When I try to extract the files from the .io file, it asks me for a password. Does it have a password? I'm using 7-zip to extract the files.

Thanks!

Hi Petero, the io is not zipped in mediafire, so it should simply open in Studio without any password (i don't actually know how to lock it even).

The io file must be opened with studio, the special app for that program you can download to see lego models.

Hope you get it sorted!

Ah, I see what the problem was. Mediafile's page considers the .io file to be a compressed archive. When I saved it with Windows 10/Firefox, the .io file extension was replaced with .zip.  All I had to do was change the extension back to .io, and it opened.

I've been waiting for the wing fold to start the Osprey, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out your design. When I was playing with LEGO in my formative years, all they had was bricks, so this Technic stuff baffles me a bit *huh*. Do you have a list of the extra parts needed for the wing fold? Or is everything shown in the Studio file needed?

Peter

ah mediafire was messing things up, but glad you found it! this step is still a work in progress, and only the basic structure without the adjustment into the hull. so much left to be done. 

i think the pieces are all from the set itself, though I'm thinking in the final product two of those blue clutch gears are needed instead of the one that we have now (https://rebrickable.com/parts/35185/technic-gear-20-tooth-double-bevel-with-clutch-on-both-sides/ to enable compact connection to drive shaft).  the flat 1x5 beam on top is extra too i think.

A bit off-topic, but what is really the deal with this set? I see it is not widely available for purchase, and commanding very high prices on ebay and other places. 

9 minutes ago, DrJB said:

A bit off-topic, but what is really the deal with this set? I see it is not widely available for purchase, and commanding very high prices on ebay and other places. 

Lego cancelled the set due to a protest of it being military based, but did not withdraw sets that had already been shipped to retailers, resulting in the high demand for those

10 hours ago, roeltheworld said:

ah mediafire was messing things up, but glad you found it! this step is still a work in progress, and only the basic structure without the adjustment into the hull. so much left to be done. 

i think the pieces are all from the set itself, though I'm thinking in the final product two of those blue clutch gears are needed instead of the one that we have now (https://rebrickable.com/parts/35185/technic-gear-20-tooth-double-bevel-with-clutch-on-both-sides/ to enable compact connection to drive shaft).  the flat 1x5 beam on top is extra too i think.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to your updates. 

14 hours ago, Bricktrain said:

Lego cancelled the set due to a protest of it being military based, but did not withdraw sets that had already been shipped to retailers, resulting in the high demand for those

Which is in my take completely off the rails: Either cancel due to serious issues or leave it. Usually, TLG is walking legally as an unleashed cyborg or mecha - but in this case a big fuzz was made due to a totally localized (Germany, Berlin) group of folks (I am pretty much in line with) knocking on the military issue. Honestly? Nobody thought about that over there at headquarters? Oh my. But: Never ever this was the case for cancelling this set in such an unprofessional way. And if never is not never ever: Well, then TLG needs to ratch it up a bit decision-wise, because there is much more on the horizon as this whiff of protest.

Best
Thorsten

9 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Which is in my take completely off the rails: Either cancel due to serious issues or leave it. Usually, TLG is walking legally as an unleashed cyborg or mecha - but in this case a big fuzz was made due to a totally localized (Germany, Berlin) group of folks (I am pretty much in line with) knocking on the military issue. Honestly? Nobody thought about that over there at headquarters? Oh my. But: Never ever this was the case for cancelling this set in such an unprofessional way. And if never is not never ever: Well, then TLG needs to ratch it up a bit decision-wise, because there is much more on the horizon as this whiff of protest.

Best
Thorsten

The set was delayed even before the protest. The protest took place around July 20th, while none of the reviewers was sent this set in the beginning of July even though they were sent 42112 and 42114 for reviews that were available on July 13th.