Sign in to follow this  
dvogon

[L9 - Coruscant - BS] A discreet meeting in a suburb of Coruscant

*Your entry has earned 12 XP*

The New Republic forces had an unexpected inconvenience in Grizmallt on their near term plans. A secret cargo with supplies for their fleet was lost after an ambush of an unknown group of contrabandists.

Bernek Kobin, an aged and bulletproof soldier, has been hired by the new Republic for a while. He worked before for the Rebellion as well, where he got the rank of Colonel, but he had some very disgusting experiences with the Empire at the time and he wasn't too convinced to join the New Republic. He was very well known for its valour, effectiveness and efficient resolution.

But not this time...

media?size=l

Republic agent: Hello Bernek, glad to hear from you again! It's been a long time since the last time we met. But no so glad to see you in these conditions. What's even worse... it's raining cats and dogs! But seriously, we are exposing ourselves too much, even here.

Bernek: Hello Robett. Glad to see you again as well and sorry for all of this. I didn’t know to whom contact. This is really urgent. I need to report to the Secret Republic Council in Coruscant.

media?size=l

Robett: Mmmm... This is a bit harsh. It isn’t a typical request, I would say.

Bernek: Come on! You know me very well. And my credentials for this kind of access rights are intact. I cannot make this request by the usual channels. We have fallen in an ambush, so I trust almost nobody.

Meanwhile...

media?size=l

Wookie: Agggh, goouflggh, gghaaaahg! [Oh... You would never understand how much I hate the rain. And not only because I had too much in Kashyyyk!]

Mando: Hehehe... We had a lot of luck this time with the weather. Just five minutes! This is something we have to live with. I think the climate change fight was already lost several centuries ago on this planet. Let's concentrate on our business topics now that we have excellent food and drink to survive today. Great stuff by the way, Agbonod!

Agbonod: Sure! Cannot do less. You are always specially welcomed here! 

Mando: Thanks! But before starting let's that Ugnaught to walk a bit away...

media?size=l

Maintenance operations takes longer, specially when the weather is so bad. 

media?size=l

Robett: Ok, let’s go inside this corridor, it's raining too much, even for my taste. I guess I did the right thing selecting this place.

Bernek: Mmm... I don't really like that Mando with the wookie... Are you sure? 

Robett: Yes, of course! Those seem to be in good conversation. I don't think they would even notice us. I like that small place actually, great food and superb drinks... maybe in another occasion. But, anyway, there are plenty of other good bars and cantinas in there, we can choose almost anyone without fearing selecting a bad one. With more people around we'll go unnoticed and I'll let you tell me with greater peace what has happened.

Spoiler

This is the unedited version of the first image of this build, with the entrance of a Coruscant skyscraper during a very unfriendly day. Many puddles have formed.

media?size=l

A view from the top of the Coruscant skyscraper:

media?size=l

And this is a detail of the front of the skyscraper with the maintenance crane:

media?size=l

In Coruscant there are many holo-advertisements. I love those ones... they remind me of Blade Runner. This is my take with a bith character.

media?size=l

It's raining a lot, so water flows hard away...

media?size=l

The lights of the maintenance device are reflected in the water, this unedited shot show them better.

media?size=l

An unedited version of the picture with the skyscraper corridor behind during the meet:

media?size=l

Here are some additional details of the bar inside the corridor: 

For additional contrast with lighting I used black for part of the bar walls casting shadows from the bar lights and the diagonal shadows from the street. Part of the corridor, walls and floor, is in black to increase this effect. The corridor should be much longer with many other places and cantinas hence the black at the end suggesting it's longer. The floor has the lighting from the bar interior so the light is reflected on it and on the opposing wall, therefore the brick colors change to accentuate this effect.

media?size=l

The opposite wall may be seen better from this unedited shot, with some neon tubes. All the lights come directly from the sun. At the other side of the orange traslucent cylinders there is nothing just to let the light pass freely through. 

media?size=l

And the lights for the bar are very simple to implement: just an open ceiling.

media?size=l

A closer look to the bar with the orange neon tubes out from the right, this shot was part of the storyline:

media?size=l

And that's it!

Edited by goatman461

Lot's of nice detailing here, I like the lbg crates as building detail.

I get Ghostbusters firehouse vibes from this!

There's some really nice detailing all over this build. The holo-ad works great face-on. The trans-blu on the pavement is a nice touch, and I really love doing a scene in the rain. Even though it did get me wondering how standing water evaporates in Coruscant. It must have to get very hot very far underground...

It's good to see Black Sun back in action as well. Making moves on Coruscant? Very interesting. 

Fantastic work! Your greebling is subtle, and very well done. The rain effect both with Lego and photoshop is top-notch!

Love the breakdown/commentary! The build is fantastic, the light details and everything is great.

The standing water gets too zigzaggy and pervasive right outside the door for me, and the reflection of the red lights might be better left to the plastic itself, but I love the idea. 

I love the minifigs outside with the umbrellas, it really sets the scene. And inside looks so cozy. The detailing on the resturaunt is awesome. Great stuff all around!

Ah, love this! The rain effect is cool, though trans black tiles might be more accurate color (water is only blue when the sky is blue). Or edit: the sky is actually pretty bluish in your edit, so it does work, but I might still miss some gradient at least: the water tiles in the shadows being trans black and the ones that hit the light from the sky blue, perhaps even in different shades of blue.

Great build too! The bith advertisement especially was a nice idea. At first glance, I thought he was looking through a window so a can or other such product in his hand (if it fits) might make the purpose more apparent, but the idea is very creative.

Edited by Samppu

3 hours ago, Samppu said:

The bith advertisement especially was a nice idea. At first glance, I thought he was looking through a window so a can or other such product in his hand (if it fits) might make the purpose more apparent, but the idea is very creative.

I agree with this - i thought it was an elevator or similar, but this is only a nitpick in an otherwise great build!

Thanks for all the comments!

The idea of the rain came after a strong summer storm one evening this July: how could a rainy day be built with Lego and what could be the color contrasts in such a day.

Nice looking cyberpunk build. I really like the water represented on the street, but my favourite detail is the holo-advertisment.

Thanks for the comments! Yes, the helicopter cockpit piece seems to be designed for that purpose :classic:.