Flatfoot Thompsen

Problems with Indy sets

Okay, so this Thursday I saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and after looking at the sets, I noticed a couple of things:

Jungle Duel: The ants don't appear in this part of the movie! Irina never cut a table in half like the feature in the set. There was a crystal skull in this part of the movie so why they didn't put one in the set, I don't know. There wasn't a sword rack.

River Chase: There was no hidden Russian in the tree amd Mutt was in this part.

Jungle Cutter: The small temple thing was not in the movie.

Temple of the Crystal Skull: The skull trap wasn't on the movie. There was no Russian guy with the mini - tank thing. There were 13 crystal skeletons and they looked WAY different.

So, what do you guys think?

I think that TLC didnt use the Crystal Skulls more because it would cost too much to make all those trans pieces.

P.S. Get on Sype Flatfoot. :classic:

Okay, so this Thursday I saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and after looking at the sets, I noticed a couple of things:

Jungle Duel: The ants don't appear in this part of the movie! Irina never cut a table in half like the feature in the set. There was a crystal skull in this part of the movie so why they didn't put one in the set, I don't know. There wasn't a sword rack.

River Chase: There was no hidden Russian in the tree amd Mutt was in this part.

Jungle Cutter: The small temple thing was not in the movie.

Temple of the Crystal Skull: The skull trap wasn't on the movie. There was no Russian guy with the mini - tank thing. There were 13 crystal skeletons and they looked WAY different.

So, what do you guys think?

I think the movie's too weird to make reasonable sets for it. It's not bad, just way too different from the others and almost negatively unique. I agree, and also, there was no food in that scene. The Russians were just dancing to Russian Music, not eating Bananas and Chicken. And also, the map's small and isn't even that big a part. The tent's okay, far too small. For the River Chase, there was no tree whatsoever. No Russians in that scene really, anyways. Mutt, yes. But remember, that would be 3 sets with Mutt. Why not Oxley, or Mac? The Jungle Cutter's nice, I actually felt bad for Dovchenko. The tank blow-up isn't that great, I love it when the blade goes flying through the forest, so why isn't that a feature? The "engine" thing doesn't blow, the whole thing does! The hideout was never included, maybe that tomb place halfway through? And the temple... Lego couldn't have made a weirder representation. I didn't like how the "sand puzzle" wasn't included. No sand is needed of course, just buttons to push! And the traps in the temple are put in to fill in where the movie forgot! Finally yes, the vehicle isn't practical or even in the movie. The aliens were pretty good representations if you ask me, but still- the skeleton with the helmet appears earlier in the film, does he not?

I think that TLC didnt use the Crystal Skulls more because it would cost too much to make all those trans pieces.

P.S. Get on Sype Flatfoot. :classic:

Good point.

P.S. I am on Skype.

I totally agree! :sadnew: I just came back from seeing the movie and felt like starting a thread like this myself, so thank you, Flatfoot Thompson! :thumbup:

Sadly, the scenery of the sets don't have anything to do with those of the movie! :hmpf_bad:

The big question here is "Why, TLC?" :sad: The sets would have been just as good in the context of the movie! :sceptic:

But as "Jungle Duel", the only one that I got and ever will get, is one of the best affordable parts packs I have seen in years, I'm not gonna complain! :tongue: Getting a chrystal skull with it would have been great though... :look:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Watch in horror as Batbrick sweeps in and gives the entirely obvious reason:

TLC DIDN'T get to watch the movie! As if they would be allowed! Do you think for a second that they would all keep their traps shut if they did? They would've been given a few sketches, a pic or two, and maybe clip, but the most part it is creative license and improvisation over what they would've been given :wink:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I understand the complaints about weird stuff in the sets but... It seems to me that with all four sets, you can recreate a better River Chase and scenes TLC didn't make sets of.

1.) Take the conquistadore skeleton from the Temple and put him behind only the 'building' from Jungle Cutter. Suddenly that combination begins to look like the Cradle of Ordellano (what was his name?!), don't you agree?

2.) Take from Jungle Duel Mutt and Irina with their two sabers, put Mutt in Indy's & Marion's vehicle from River Chase and add the Russian vehicle from the Temple set. Wouldn't that be a fair representation of the river chase from the film?

3.) The whole ant thing was basically Dovchenko versus Indy in a Pat Roachian two-fight, right? So just take an Indy from any set, add Dovchenko and all the ants from the various sets and voilà: there's your Fight Amidst The Ants set!

As for missing Oxley and Mac... Isn't this just the first wave? TLC must've spent good money on this licence, so we can just wait until Oxley and Mac show up in a next wave. The same probably goes for Sallah, Marcus, Elsa, Willie, Short Round...

The REAL question to me is why even bother to make the airplane in the Exclusive set. It showed up for like 10 seconds during the map travelling scene. C'mon, there must've been a better idea for an Exclusive...?!

About the film: What the heck happened? Who brainwashed Spielberg? From Lucas I've come to expect anything, but seriously... Aliens in an Indy film?

I know, I know: the Ark's powers and Mola Ram's heart-grabbing magic and a dude surviving for 700 years and just some water that miraculously heals you are all fairly wild. But they pale next to 13 alien skeleton merging into one fully-fleshed live effing alien who then opens an effing interdimensional effing portal! That's basically going as far as showing God in Raiders or Last Crusade would be. What I loved about those films is that they didn't.

Sure, the artefacts have supernatural powers. But there remains a sense of mystery. It's never explained what exactly happened or where the artefact really comes from (the film's theory is it comes from God, but at least God doesn't jump down from a cloud to give the baddies a foul look, which is pretty much exactly what the alien in film 4 does).

Plus, to me, Indy 4 is on too large a scale. Indy's 1, 2 and 3 looked mostly like it could happen because back then, the filmmakers were far more bound to physical stunts and effects than they are now. Today the can launch a truck over another car, smashing it in half while the people inside comfortably don't have a scratch. Or they can catapult a fridge over a huge cloud with, again, the protagonist walking out as if nothing just happened. Back in the eighties, they couldn't do such crazy things. And that made the movies so much better for me. I can believe the fights and stunts in the original trilogy, because they largely were actually real. Part 4 throws any realism overboard in the fights and stunts and most insulting of all: when the flippin' flying dish comes out of the ground, causing half the flippin' mountain to flippin' colapse.

Gah... Well, that's what would happen in a film were Indy thinks he's Han Solo. He literally said "I have a bad feeling about this." !!! If he said that as a salute to Star Wars in another Indy film, I would've laughed. Now it's just an indication to me of what the filmmakers were thinking: let's pile up all that we're good at and throw it in this film.

The result? An exciting movie (yes, I actually think it's well-paced, cool, funny, a rockin' rollercoasterride) but not an Indiana Jones film.

The REAL question to me is why even bother to make the airplane in the Exclusive set. It showed up for like 10 seconds during the map travelling scene. C'mon, there must've been a better idea for an Exclusive...?!

Yeah, I love the set but I don't think that scene is in the movie.

Edited by Ronan Nissen

Damn, you beat me to it. Yes, TLGs Indy 4 sets have nothing to do with the movie; the idea is that you have to buy x number of other sets to get it right. :hmpf_bad: Cheap, if you ask me. On the other hand, Indy 4 was a smashing success in my opinion.

And, Spielbrick, its Ordeiana, I think.

I really like the movie and think is like other indiana jones films but a bit different form the common context. In the sets TLC do a good job if you ask me they just have limited material to create them and after all they are great before the movie, arent they? so why we change of mind just after seen the movie, this happens years ago with episode 3 and even the sets are cool :wink: . In the movie I think is very well designed, it have a good screenplay and the aliens skeletons look just amazing if you ask me and the alien part is not that bad. The only part that seems like in another movie is the one that the flying saucer go up thougth akator and all the buildings and things there began to fly in circles around and that looks like a part of the mummy returns if you ask me.

Edited by darkrebellion

I saw the movie last night and yeah, some of the sets are a little off.

1)The sabre duel did not happen in the camp but rather during the car chase.

2) There was not Soviets hiding in trees during the river chase...and no boat.

3) There was not cave during the jungle cutter scene.

BUT:

The design off the jungle cutter wad dead on... I just put the set together a few days ago and when I saw it in the movie I was suprised at how much alike they both looked. The big blades, the smaller blades on the front, the control booth and even the parts near the back where the woodchips were thrown out of is exactly like in the movie.

If you think about it, if the Lego sets resembled the movie a lot more than the sets would not be as interesting. If the river chase set didnt have the tree base and the jungle cutter set did not have the cave then both sets would be a lot more bland. Im a big fan of foilage pieces so I dont mind the extra additions, I feel they add to the setting.

One thing i would have changed about the sets is to include a jeep rather than a boat in the river chase set... but then that would have raised the price of the set.

I think the movie's too weird to make reasonable sets for it. It's not bad, just way too different from the others and almost negatively unique. I agree, and also, there was no food in that scene. The Russians were just dancing to Russian Music, not eating Bananas and Chicken.

That gave me a huge laugh. :-D I guess Lego just figured, "What the hell, we've got these extra bananas and chicken legs..."

Well keep in mind that LEGO wants to sell sets and almost all of these Indy sets have had both good guys and bad guys. Not every parent is going to buy these kids every set, so they want to add baddies... Marion and Indy floating down a river isn't near as exciting as them being chased by commies and running into an alligator. They had to add playability into these sets and in some cases, they had to incorportate other scenes because those wouldn't be worthy of their own set. We're not going to get a set featuring the "Big d*mn ants!", so they threw them into two of the sets.

Personally, I want a set with a fridge than Indy can fit into and some sort of device which will launch it into the air.

TLC DIDN'T get to watch the movie! As if they would be allowed! Do you think for a second that they would all keep their traps shut if they did? They would've been given a few sketches, a pic or two, and maybe clip, but the most part it is creative license and improvisation over what they would've been given :wink:

I agree that they probably had limited information, a couple of clips perhaps - but as for not being able to keep their traps shut - I don't think that's the case for a moment. In Hollywood you either keep schtum or you get sued. It's as simple as that. Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the new Star Trek movie, refuses to talk about the film as he will be sued to smithereens if he does. TLC is a professional organisation that knows its obligations, if they had information they'd have to keep a lid on it.

Dr. S.

OMG the horror :grin:

I think that with this wave of sets that TLC was just trying to sell some sets and so we get an Indy in each set, some bad guys in each set, and some liberal interpretation of what happened in the movie, but I think now that the theme is established and it is one of the most popular themes, we might get some better focused sets.

Edited by Johnny 5

I know, I know: the Ark's powers and Mola Ram's heart-grabbing magic and a dude surviving for 700 years and just some water that miraculously heals you are all fairly wild. But they pale next to 13 alien skeleton merging into one fully-fleshed live effing alien who then opens an effing interdimensional effing portal! That's basically going as far as showing God in Raiders or Last Crusade would be. What I loved about those films is that they didn't.

I have to disagree with you there. We saw what was (or wasn't) in the Ark in Raiders, and we briefly saw the power of the Holy Grail. However, I still had a lot of questions after the movie's end. I wondered where Spalko and the flying saucer went; even Indy said he didn't want to go into the interdimensional portal, which still left a sense of mystery.

SPOILERZ

I have noticed many similiarities with Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine;

-Russians

-The sliding stairs, which also appeared in the bonus level PERU

-The UFO, which also appears in a hidden room in the PERU level

Also, I have a theory that the alien portal leads to the Aetherium, where Indy defeated Marduk.

Yeah! How DARE LEGO make totally inaccurate Indy sets by including more minifigs and vehicles and accessories in them then actually appear in specific scenes in the movie. Those utter and complete BASTARDS!

That gave me a huge laugh. :-D I guess Lego just figured, "What the hell, we've got these extra bananas and chicken legs..."

And anyone remember the Wilhelm Scream in this movie? lol, that nerdy guy just standing there: "AUUUGH!"

Oh yeah... WTF???

I don't get why so many people hate the new movie because of Aliens.

I thought the addition of an alien made it all the more interesting and the rest of the movie was good.

My fave part of the film was the fact that Indy survived a nuclear bomb inside a lead lined fridge.

I know lead stops gamma rays from penetrating but surely the door would have flung open in the blast?

I would agree that I ask why there is a dinghy in the river chase and an outpost?

However, in the Jungle Cutter set I think the treasure trove could be used as the waterfall entrance to Akator.

I don't know if anyone's noticed but the Russian car in the 'Peril in Peru' plane set could belong in river chase!

I honestly don't see that there is a problem here. The only problem lies in your own opinions. That's not to say that any of you are wrong, but, while the sets are technically inaccurate to the movie, they never promised to get every little detail right. I would rather have well priced sets with nice little extras over sets which all have everything correct, with duplicates of every figure and therefore cost the Earth. And rather than criticising something you can't really change, let's see something constructive out of this, for those who have bought a lot of the sets, let's see how you think TLC should have made them!

I think most people would have preffered it if, in the instance of the river/amphibian car set it would have been better to get a car with Dovchenko and some Commies in a car like in the film than a tree, alligator and dingy.