Ngoc Nguyen

[REVIEW] 42113 - Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey

Houston we have a problem. Another review of deformed 8 tooth gear appeared. This is from a certified LEGO Store in Romania. Check after minute 8:30. I didn't want to believe the conspiracy theories but if it fails so quickly it's a no-go.

12 hours ago, Scarilian said:

It was a really stupid decision on Lego's part and this is arguably one of the most impressive technic sets that they have produced. It's one of the few technic sets I would have ever gotten and I'm speaking from a perspective of someone who was never really into technic sets other than a few of the massive construction sets. This would have been my first technic set in a long time and potentially reinvigorated my interest in the technic theme - but now its unlikely to see the light of day. I'd argue this decision from Lego will open up massive problems the next time they have a vehicle that has been used for military purposes - which removes a lot of options in future and sets a dangerous precident that Lego will cancel any set containing a vehicle that was militarised at one point.

He was originally replying to this. 

"Just received this news from Lego.

Shops with stocks can go ahead and sell the sets they have BUT stocks will not be replenish."

That´s what the Kudos were for... :-) "Kudos to LEGO for their decision."

It seems in Germany, all 42113 Sets were neither delivered, or if, are forced to have them sent back. All my retail-dealers have canceled my reserved stock which i basically pre-ordered there,

most said they don´t even get it at first hand. The item is not listed in their software-solutions any longer, i.e. since 2 weeks. 

Then it was on the mainstream and alternative news here everywhere, !!! so those (if) who might have got it already, surely keep it for themselves (or for ebay XD )

In other parts of the world, they might be a little more lazy with this, but here they want to back down to this society.

Edited by TBS

13 hours ago, Scarilian said:

It was a really stupid decision on Lego's part and this is arguably one of the most impressive technic sets that they have produced. It's one of the few technic sets I would have ever gotten and I'm speaking from a perspective of someone who was never really into technic sets other than a few of the massive construction sets. This would have been my first technic set in a long time and potentially reinvigorated my interest in the technic theme - but now its unlikely to see the light of day. I'd argue this decision from Lego will open up massive problems the next time they have a vehicle that has been used for military purposes - which removes a lot of options in future and sets a dangerous precident that Lego will cancel any set containing a vehicle that was militarised at one point.

That sounds perfect to me. No reason LEGO should in any way produce sets or work with companies that are involved in military activities. I applaud LEGO's decision, late though it may have been, and hope it does indeed set a precedent. They can come up with other things to make toy versions, and no one is entitled to this or any other set. If you want to reinvigorate your Technic interest, there's plenty out there to enjoy! Have fun!

Edited by arnoldtblumberg

Great review and really helpful photos!

I managed to get one from my local toy shop at retail & have built it - problem: lots of gear clicking....

Did you have any issues, it seems to be related to the rotors but will need to troubleshoot.

I'm a bit late to this one. I love this set and its a shame it wont be in full production but Lego has always been about family fun. The osprey is used by the American military and maybe others but a rescue vehicle I thought would have been ok. It obviously has mass appeal to lego fans.

H

10 minutes ago, cwcw said:

Great review and really helpful photos!

I managed to get one from my local toy shop at retail & have built it - problem: lots of gear clicking....

Did you have any issues, it seems to be related to the rotors but will need to troubleshoot.

Yes, the spinning blades is the most troublesome function because of inadequate gearing down. I've figured out the mod to do that. Please head to this post.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Thanks for posting this review! It might be the only one on the web at the moment, and I especially appreciate your doing this because this may not be a cheap set to open, if unopened ones become hot collectibles! Good job!

And another one bites the dust. Same issue with the rotor blade function. The gears can't handle the torque. Let's hope LEGO sees the reviews and brings out a properly functioning tilt rotor plane (this time w/o a license).

YT Review by GooberReboot (RUS)

Maybe there's something wrong the way he build the gearbox, bcoz its so different from the other review who managed to spin the blade with a little bit faster... 

That sound indicate that there's wrong in the gear 

And to top it all , i don't understand what he is saying...?

Edited by Dylan M

32 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

Maybe there's something wrong the way he build the gearbox, bcoz its so different from the other review who managed to spin the blade with a little bit faster... 

That sound indicate that there's wrong in the gear 

And to top it all , i don't understand what he is saying...?

I don't understand either I just used auto-translate. Yes, there is a chance some axles can stick out too much and touch gears, but what he is saying is, that the tripple z8 gears are not intended for high torque which they get cause all functions run through them first. They probably got pre-damaged by allowing the end-stop clutches engage too long before shifting to neutral, nevertheless the motor has to struggle much more due to no gear reduction at the blades. They don't need to spin so fast for a safe play function anyway and previous Technic helicopters never had such fast spinning powered rotors.

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

They don't need to spin so fast for a safe play function anyway and previous Technic helicopters never had such fast spinning powered rotors.

Yeah they spin like fan blades, which freaked me out a bit when I first turned on the function.

I also have a problem with clicks when turning on the rotors. This is definitely a mistake in the design of the gearbox.
Today I plan to remake it according to Ngoc Nguyen mod. Thanks for creating such a quick fix.

Edited by Akassin

On 7/24/2020 at 2:00 AM, BrickWild said:

Consider yourself lucky! ;-)
By no means getting one is going to be a cheap feat, let alone easy!

Now they are selling on ebay for more than $1000 :O

43 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

there IS an overload fail safe for the blades in case they hit something

There are two friction-based connector-built linear clutches in the wings. Ideally they should have had low tolerance and slip even at the tiniest obstacle, But it turns out that the clutches have quite some high tolerance, so if the blade is blocked the motor will actually stalls instead of continuing to deliver power to the clutches. 

59 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There are two friction-based connector-built linear clutches in the wings. Ideally they should have had low tolerance and slip even at the tiniest obstacle, But it turns out that the clutches have quite some high tolerance, so if the blade is blocked the motor will actually stalls instead of continuing to deliver power to the clutches. 

I’ve noticed that the black 3L axle pin (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18651&name=Technic, Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and 2L Axle&category=[Technic, Axle]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}) seems to have less clutch power than the blue 2L - maybe this could be an easy substitution?

1 hour ago, Pattspatt said:

I’ve noticed that the black 3L axle pin (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18651&name=Technic, Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and 2L Axle&category=[Technic, Axle]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}) seems to have less clutch power than the blue 2L - maybe this could be an easy substitution? 

Yes, because it's softer plastic. But it would not fit since it's 3L and you need the 2L length. Also the 8z gears are pretty soft compared to a 12 or 20 gear. Imagine if TLG would have used the old type 8z gear without the reinforcement. Instant failure for sure!  Never mind, the type 2 gear has the same performance as the old gear.
Fun fact: the 12/20 1st stage gearing means the first z8 gear takes up about 8.8 N⋅cm (max. torque of C+ L-Motor) *1.6 = 14.7 N⋅cm when it pretty much starts to slip. So no wonder it deforms at high loads over time. With a PF L-Motor you would only get max. 11 N⋅cm. So all the re-bricks with PF might just work fine. Luckily the PF-XL motor doesn't fit :)

Edited by R0Sch
correction

8 minutes ago, Pattspatt said:

Even if the clutch is substituted with one with lower tolerance, that still wouldn't solve the problem: the motor is inadequately geared down.

In my model which included the default linear clutches and the gearing down mod, I've just tried blocking the spinning blades. The motor still delivers power just fine. No stalling at all. So the clutches isn't the real problem.

Is there a problem even with a normal usage? (No blocking propellers, stopping functions as soon as the movements are completed)

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

For this reason I thought that this technique is not quite "legal" way to make this kind of clutch. Definitely something I wouldn't expect from an official set. Maybe we'll see axles used as torsion bars next :rofl:

Edited by Lipko

12 minutes ago, Lipko said:

For this reason I thought that this technique is not quite "legal" way to make this kind of clutch. Definitely something I wouldn't expect from an official set. Maybe we'll see axles used as torsion bars next :rofl:

Yeah, in a rescue version torsion catapult or crossbow :laugh_hard:

Edited by R0Sch

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Even if the clutch is substituted with one with lower tolerance, that still wouldn't solve the problem: the motor is inadequately geared down.

In my model which included the default linear clutches and the gearing down mod, I've just tried blocking the spinning blades. The motor still delivers power just fine. No stalling at all. So the clutches isn't the real problem.

Has anyone considered using pulley + 'rubber' instead of the 12/20 reduction next to the motor? From Instruction scan this

wr_20200730_220833.png

should fit. Reduction would be 3.6. By variing ruber and perhaps using a full bushing on the small "gear" the amount of friction could be adjusted.

5 minutes ago, anyUser said:

Has anyone considered using pulley + 'rubber' instead of the 12/20 reduction next to the motor? From Instruction scan this

wr_20200730_220833.png

should fit. Reduction would be 3.6. By variing ruber and perhaps using a full bushing on the small "gear" the amount of friction could be adjusted.

Yes, it will fit. Someone could also try the use of a z8+z24 clutch gear (3:1) next to the motor. This is normally used in PF upgrades.