JorstadDesigns

[MOC] LEGO Eldorado Fortress, redesigned

“Governor Broadside spent years at his post in Eldorado Fortress, waiting for the expected assault of his nemesis, Captain Redbeard. In his days as Commodore, Broadside was one of the famous few to have turned back Redbeard’s feared naval bombardments, but the notorious Redbeard has been missing for years without a trace. Promoted to Governor but growing old at his post, Broadside has ensured that his fortress is well prepared for any assault – the larder is stocked, the men are rested, and the cannons are loaded. But lately, passing ships have whispered strange new rumors of Redbeard. Tales of a remote island, a stranded ship, a Captain and crew thirsty for revenge setting sail once again… The Governor may be unaware of the secret treasure hidden beneath Eldorado, but he is certain Redbeard will come for Mary Brickless, prisoner of Eldorado for the past five years. Is Eldorado Fortress prepared for whatever threats may come next? Can Broadside return to his role as Commodore and rid the seas of Redbeard, once and for all? Only you can decide!”

Eldorado Fortress

Introducing Eldorado Fortress, built from 100% authentic LEGO® bricks and the perfect companion to LEGO’s® new Pirates of Barracuda Bay set! Although LEGO® has released some smaller imperial fortresses in the past, none were truly on the scale of LEGO’s® larger castle playsets. The new Pirates of Barracuda Bay set re-inspired us to create a fortress modelled on Caribbean architecture. As you can see, the fortress is named to play on LEGO’s® original Eldorado Fortress (set #6276). The Governor is named after the “Governor Broadside” that shows up in some older LEGO® literature/manuals. The main model uses 2,581 bricks, and the minifigures and accessories add ~150 parts to that.

The model features a watchtower, armory, prison, a secret cave with the hidden treasure of Eldorado, a larder, crew’s quarters, Governor’s room, and a harbor area with defensive cannon emplacements. Our personal favorite feature is the curved wall with three cannons overlooking the water! Everything is modular, allowing easy access to all play features. The prison features an ‘exploding’ wall, the cave is connected via a secret passage with retractable wall to the larder, and a trapdoor connects the larder to the crew’s quarters. More importantly, the set includes five spring-loaded cannons that can be positioned anywhere along the fort walls, allowing for quick defense against raiding pirates!

Instructions are available as a digital download from my website at www.jorstad-designs.com.

50138529797_99f52d2aff_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137731668_5653794374_h.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138525817_69591954fa_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138524587_e216a7df1e_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137748443_006e136f9b_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138287161_276596632b_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138522102_dc190f6ef3_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138521007_c7400ef034_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138276031_b20c01c0e6_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138276761_b6758f6e4f_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138519967_bfbce02ba1_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138308106_0c30552d13_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138514057_41fa5b59ed_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138544337_2f9d766ef2_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137764558_2a3cdeda89_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137763478_1572eecc6f_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138542107_24eb88f3da_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137735933_11c7eaf282_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137737268_071124ab70_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137739383_5ea3bf61d4_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138281651_aa69fe1cac_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137731623_e761a2d925_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50137753418_fda3660798_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138531327_00758d7a2c_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

50138528882_936c2a4c44_k.jpgLEGO Eldorado Fortress MOC by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

Very cool!  I can see bits of the 2009 and 2015 fort sets in this too.  The dark orange complements the white well.  Nice attention to detail.

If this was a set I'd be right on it. Just incredible! And it looks so good next to Pirate bay!

Amazing! The details on this are out of this world, it puts pirate bay to shame.

Is it okay to totally love this, whilst simultaneously being outraged by the botanically incorrect banana tree?

Truly awesome work. 

Just now, williejm said:

Is it okay to totally love this, whilst simultaneously being outraged by the botanically incorrect banana tree?

Truly awesome work. 

Haha, absolutely! I used the same tree style for consistency so that the bananas could be removed and everything would still look the same, but you are absolutely right about the tree being botanically inaccurate ;)

Just now, JorstadDesigns said:

Haha, absolutely! I used the same tree style for consistency so that the bananas could be removed and everything would still look the same, but you are absolutely right about the tree being botanically inaccurate ;)

I’ll let you off. Don’t you dare replace them with the pineapples though!

Just now, williejm said:

Seeing as pineapples grow on the ground, that would indeed be an intolerable decision. I'd have to clear out some of the marina for pineapple harvesting!

Just now, williejm said:

Actually, I initially planned this as a LEGO Ideas project, and I was partially figuring kids would just throw all the fruit in the trees anyway, along with the crabs and sea turtle

On 7/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, JorstadDesigns said:

Actually, I initially planned this as a LEGO Ideas project,

This is a fantastic moc, so why did you not submit it to Ideas?
I like that you have included several of the new animals, of course I would have liked to see even more like goats, pigs and chickens as part of the supply for soldiers.
The fishing-rod is nice to see included since I felt that was missing from the pirates bay set (how do you survive on a small island for 30 years without it:pir_tong2:).

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

This is a fantastic moc, so why did you not submit it to Ideas?
I like that you have included several of the new animals, of course I would have liked to see even more like goats, pigs and chickens as part of the supply for soldiers.
The fishing-rod is nice to see included since I felt that was missing from the pirates bay set (how do you survive on a small island for 30 years without it:pir_tong2:).

Thank you! I considered adding more animals, but LEGO seems to be sparse when including animals in a set, so I figured I would stick with what I had. But I agree, more animals only improves the value of a set.

I did submit to LEGO Ideas, but unfortunately it was rejected. Apparently the reviewers consider it as overlapping with the "Pirate Bay" or "Pirate Ship" concepts, which are now considered registered IP with LEGO Ideas and will not be considered for new projects. Hopefully one of the imperial forts that was already approved might be considered for a product if it makes it to 10K... But considering how quickly Barracuda Bay sold out, my guess is LEGO already has a new Pirates line of sets in the works.

2 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Excellent fortress !!

And now i'ts frontpaged:pir-huzzah2:

Great job ! Now I want one for myself ... :pir-grin:

High praise, thank you! It's great to have it appreciated :pir-tongue:

4 minutes ago, JorstadDesigns said:

I did submit to LEGO Ideas, but unfortunately it was rejected. Apparently the reviewers consider it as overlapping with the "Pirate Bay" or "Pirate Ship" concepts, which are now considered registered IP with LEGO Ideas and will not be considered for new projects. Hopefully one of the imperial forts that was already approved might be considered for a product if it makes it to 10K... But considering how quickly Barracuda Bay sold out, my guess is LEGO already has a new Pirates line of sets in the works.

OK, I have heard about one other fort that was rejected and I know all the ships was removed. If they are not going to approve any of them I am fine with the rejecting them, only gives us false hope otherwise, but then they better have something cooking themself :devil:
Lets hope the pirates get the "Minecraft treatment" after the first Ideas set :grin:

Just now, Roebuck said:

OK, I have heard about one other fort that was rejected and I know all the ships was removed. If they are not going to approve any of them I am fine with the rejecting them, only gives us false hope otherwise, but then they better have something cooking themself :devil:
Lets hope the pirates get the "Minecraft treatment" after the first Ideas set :grin:

I have my fingres crossed that they will make something. They removed ships with a lot of votes and that make no sense

Edited by Piraten

Just now, Piraten said:

I have my fingres crossed that they will make something. They removed ships with a lot of votes. 

Hope your fort and the rest get to 10 000:pir-huzzah2: They could have done that with the ships that was close also, and then removed them later. I imagine it is fun for the creators to get to 10 000 votes when they are that close.. 
Probably something to do with all the sets making it these days :shrug_oh_well:

Fantastic fortress! So many details to love!

On 7/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, williejm said:

Truly awesome work. 

Oh dear, I'm working on a deserted island with a rum-tree...

Very nice fortress with some nice details and playable features! Good looking too. A very nice attempt to get more PIRATES sets from LEGO

I am seeing this again and have to comment again: it's perfect.

That's what my kids and I were after when we were playing pirates some ten years ago .... :pir_laugh2:

This fortress looks really awesome! :pir-love:
I could look at them for hours to find all the details!

But why is one flag hanging upside down? ^^

2 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

@JintaiZ, another for the blog!

Will be working on it!

Something along this lines is precisely what we need to go along with Barracuda Bay!

My biggest complaint is that it features redcoat soldiers instead of bluecoats like the original Eldorado.