Aurore

[MOC] Dwarven Barber Shop

This is my entry for this year's Summer Joust, in the "Every Set Could be a Castle Set" category. It's a castle-ification of Friends set 41391 Heart Lake City Hair Salon - and a freebulid for Mitgardia as well as an Age of Mitgardia House II entry here in GoH!

As a Dwarven barber, Per Wilkinsson had always considered that facial hair was a matter of utmost importance.
A silky, impeccably plaited moustache showed off high social status in a tasteful, distinguished way. A disheveled, bushy beard indicated more than just a lack of elegance.

He had been apprentice to the best barbers in Omurtag, had obtained the repected title of Master, and had learned all the arcane secrets of his art. 
He was at the very peak of his career when his wife unexpectedly inherited a significant mining concession in some remote, backwater corner of the Heavenly Mountains. 

And she decided they would move there. A simple life and the jolly atmosphere of a familial mine, away from the vicissitudes of the bustling city - that's what she suddenly wanted for their children.

Undaunted, Per decided he would open his own barber shop there, civilize the local savages and bring them the light and benefits of proper beard grooming.

50134665347_7bcb9f4f14_b.jpg

50134436016_9d41e6387b_b.jpg

50134436166_1ca459a59d_b.jpg

50134665262_29c58cdb4f_b.jpg

As usual, a few more information of plants and animals is included in the hidden section below! 

Spoiler

The Omurtag Zwergpinscher, colloquially known as the Dwarven Devil Dog among Human communities, is a breed of domestic dog developed by the Mitgardian Dwarves of the Heavenly Mountains. 
Renowned for their vigilance and tenaciousness, Omurtag Zwergpinschers make excellent guard dogs and ratters. 
50134661402_5d99ac553f_n.jpg

White nettle (Lamium Album) is a very common plant that can be found in grasslands and forests all over Avalonia and Mitgardia. All parts of the plant are edible (and have a surprising mushroom flavour), and the leaves can also help with melancholy.
The "Aureum" variant, which features bright lime leaves, can be found in the southwestern foothills of the Mitgardian Heavenly Mountains. A rumor says its unusual coloring indicates the presence of gold underground. The inhabitants of the little village of Horgaard know it's simply an horticultural experiment, escaped from the garden of a local herbalist…
50134431801_281d578d58_w.jpg

And, also, a comparison with the source set. 

Spoiler

50134697782_056cf93a31_z.jpg
50134697807_4bfca842fe_z.jpg

Edited by Aurore

A great roof here, and also a really nice interior.  Fun choice of set to recreate!

Awesome barber shop.  I like the design.  The windows look good.  The color choices work well, and I like the plants on the outside around the building.  The roof looks great, I like the way you angled the roof.  The archways in the front are nice.  I like the awning too.  The interior is nicely detailed, I like the pictures of people on the interior.  Very nice build overall.  

Brilliant work! There are a lot of great details; I find the pictures of the dwarfs inside the shop particularly humorous for some reason! The shaping of the roof is really well done and I think adds a distinctively different look to the building than normal - it makes it more 'dwarvan' in my mind! I also like the way you framed the window with the curved slopes. I think this should be a strong contender for the category. Well done!

This is gorgeous!  I love all the little details you've included to make it feel as lively as an official set, and the usual bits of information on flora and fauna are, as always, a wonderful extra dimension.  I have to highlight that mirror: a perfectly dwarven vanity product and an excellent design.  Well done!

Very nice build!  You have a delightful way of thinking about builds, and a very artistic eye for lines and colors.  The Nexo shield and attendant blue and white colors are fantastic, and I love how you keep a nice set of brown in the color palette.  The small little stand next to the building breaks up the lines and fills out the picture.  The barn style roof with its angles is great.  The interior is absolutely hysterical, and very anachronistic.  You do a great job with a small amount of space and fill out a lot of detail.  Great inclusion of the friends pieces as well.  My only critique is that I would envision a dwarven barber to use an axe, not scissors! :classic:  Great job!

@Kai NRG Thank you very much! I have to thank my husband for the idea - it came to me when he was commenting on how high maintenance those fancy fantasy dwarfs' beards should be, while I was looking at that new Friends set for my little niece… 

@zoth33 Thank you! It took me a while to be satisfied with the windows and the arches, so I'm glad you like them!

@Ayrlego Thank you so much! I'm really glad you think the roof has a dwarven flair, as I tried to emulate the look of a dwarven helmet. The portraits are a parody of the impeccably styled ladies that decorate the walls of my own hairdresser's salon… :laugh:

@The Stad Thank you! The mirror was not the easiest detail to do, as most LEGO mirrors feature stickers (and I hate stickers)...

@Grover Thank you very much! There is actually an axe and a saw inside the chest. I had planned to have them peek out from there, but forgot it when I took the photos... 

Edited by Aurore

What a cool idea for a build! So much to praise about this MOC - the roofing, the mirror, the portraits inside the barbershop - fantastic work as always!

I've been wanting to take the time to come back and comment on this for a long time (as you can tell :laugh: :grin:) - I loved seeing the builds coming out of this category and this is undoubtedly one of the best!  The wooden arches and curved roof are fantastic, as is the interior (that mirror is ingenious! :wub:)  The signs and those beard examples on the inside definitely deserve mention as well.  But my favorite thing might have to be that you took a friends set and transformed it into such a perfect Mitgardian barber's shop - still loving it! :grin:

Excellent build! Landscape wise and building wise you fund the correct amount of colour combinations. It looks lovely!

Just wow! The shaping is great and the roof is just fantastic!

I love this!  A barber shop isn't what immediately comes to mind when you think "high fantasy", but it makes sense! And this is a beautiful build! Thanks for sharing.