Asper

[MOC] Narrow gauge diesel engine "V 52" in 1/25

Using the LEGO standard gauge I built the same diesel engine as shown in a previous post with a different scale. It's the V-52 of the Deutsche Bundesbahn - running in the 1960s between Mosbach and Mudau.

LEGO standard gauge is almost 40mm (5studs). The real train ran on 1000m, so I chose a scale of 1/25 - one stud is 20cm, 5 studs is 1m.

The engine is 12wide and approx 50 studs long. It's powered by 2 XL Power Functions motors and remote controlled by a BuWizz. It's designed for standard LEGO gauge, but can only handle R72 (and greater) curves. To run smoothly additional weight is needed (metal spare parts from shelves) - it weighs 1.7kg.

(It was my entry for the Brick Train Awards - "Best Other Locomotive" in Europe)

50079010713_b5314e0048_c_d.jpg

50079009878_c237409afd_c_d.jpg

50079581536_ed1c38b923_c_d.jpg

50079009478_25858e60a5_c_d.jpg

50079580346_f041448647_c_d.jpg

50079581376_8c3dfef27d_c_d.jpg

50079834507_d882280fcb_c_d.jpg

looks great. The one question I have is what radii are the curves on your layout.  And where did you get them because they don't look 3d printed(TrixBrix which is the only option) and I don't think it could be from brick tracks because their switches haven't came out and that also looks injection molded. 

-Conner

Excellent model. Love the grill details and shaping. Runs smoothly too! 

I was tempted to upscale my loco in this manner so that it runs on standard lego tracks but then I don't have the space or garden to run the loco. :head_back: 

Are you planning to build some rolling stocks with this? I can imagine a flatbed car with real thick tree branches as the 'logs' haha. 

6 hours ago, Coal Fired Bricks said:

looks great. The one question I have is what radii are the curves on your layout.  And where did you get them because they don't look 3d printed(TrixBrix which is the only option) and I don't think it could be from brick tracks because their switches haven't came out and that also looks injection molded.

Thank you!

The straight tracks are LEGO. The curves (R72 and R88) and the switch (R104) are from TrixBrix. Most people can't tell the difference from a distance.

2 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Are you planning to build some rolling stocks with this? I can imagine a flatbed car with real thick tree branches as the 'logs' haha. 

Thank you!

Yes, I plan to add rolling stock. Log is one of the "natural" options - the V52 was used on the "Odenwald Express" (some say Odenwald means "Odin's Woods") so there were plenty of trees to be transported. (Another important freight were lampshades(!) - there were three factories around the station Limbach... )

Amazing job! If it weren't for the fact that you are using lego track I could easily mistake this for one of the trains they have running in Legoland.

For your layout, do you have a semi-permanent garden railway too? If so, that would make for an interesting thread unto itself (even if you are just starting out, the evolution over time would be interesting to see)

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Amazing job! If it weren't for the fact that you are using lego track I could easily mistake this for one of the trains they have running in Legoland.

For your layout, do you have a semi-permanent garden railway too? If so, that would make for an interesting thread unto itself (even if you are just starting out, the evolution over time would be interesting to see)

Thank you! And yes this is the start of a (semi-)permanent layout in the garden. Currently a very limited circle to test what happens to the tracks and switches outside. Maybe end of summer would be a good time to report about the first experiences.

Edited by Asper

A 1:25 locomotive..!   I love it. It looks so much better in relation to the LEGO-tracks.

"Keep on track"  this way...

This is a great creation, and the mix of L-gauge track and "garden railway" is amazing! 1:24 and 1:25 are perfect scales for metric gauge models on standard L-gauge track.

Goooooooooooooooooood job!!! :thumbup::laugh:

Davide