Lego David

Why all the hate for Legends of Chima?

They got high with super powers when they "absorbed" it (ie eating/injecting) and they cooked it better than Heisenberg

With all due respect that IS what most drugs are about

4 hours ago, 1974 said:

They got high with super powers when they "absorbed" it (ie eating/injecting) and they cooked it better than Heisenberg

With all due respect that IS what most drugs are about

Yeah, I can see that, it feels more like a run-of-the-mill generic anime powerup, but I can easily see why someone would come to that conclusion.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, zoth33 said:

Yes that was pretty bad.  They could've done a different mold.  I forgot about the beaver tribe.  

Beaver tribe?? Wow I missed that. It was bad? Chima ended when I came back into the lego world. I only got the clearance stuff…

ill look that up (the beaver stuff) and will want to get them:)

4 hours ago, Megbricks said:

Beaver tribe?? Wow I missed that. It was bad? Chima ended when I came back into the lego world. I only got the clearance stuff…

ill look that up (the beaver stuff) and will want to get them:)

Yeah ... so they reused the Bigfoot / yeti headpiece from the CMFs, it was ... not good. Do look them up. I defy you to want them 😂

5 hours ago, williejm said:

Yeah ... so they reused the Bigfoot / yeti headpiece from the CMFs, it was ... not good. Do look them up. I defy you to want them 😂

Hahaha i just looked at it. Since I don’t buy lego very often and I really don’t collect much I might pass. ;)

On 6/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, Corydoras said:

The main reason I disliked the theme is the fact that I'm allergic to furry/anthro stuff. I just can't help it the very concept of ripped animal people strikes me as bizarre and repulsive

Well, there's your main reason why this theme was so polarizing... I am the exact opposite, I grew up watching a tone of anthro animated movies such as Disney's Robin Hood, and I don't find anything strange or bizzare about this concept, personally. 

On 7/10/2021 at 12:46 AM, Lego David said:

Well, there's your main reason why this theme was so polarizing... I am the exact opposite, I grew up watching a tone of anthro animated movies such as Disney's Robin Hood, and I don't find anything strange or bizzare about this concept, personally. 

Same - I'm "I have a complete set of Battle Beasts" old so if anything I have a soft-spot for animal humanoids :P But I get that it's kinda niche relative to more outright human/fantasy-or-alien-races-that-are-supposedly-alien-but-really-just-different-color-skin'ed-humans

I read every Redwall book growing up, so it's not a particularly bizarre concept from my perspective.

It's definitely interesting with China, that though it had a typical good lifespan and output of sets, it's still wound up as derided and perhaps even seen as a failure amongst the fan community.

Personally I think a lot of it had to do with the minifigures. For one thing, there were way too many tribes and named characters straight away. Look at most of LEGO's other in house themes and there are perhaps five or six recurring main characters who remain the main characters throughout the theme's duration. Chima started out with HEAPS of named characters and kept adding more, making it hard for consumers to focus.

Another main issue with the figures was their incompatibility with other figures/themes. They all have the masks, most of which look weird over other minifigure prints since Chima eyes are farther apart than standard Minifigure eyes, so that's out. Then the heads underneath were hit or miss - I personally like using the cat prints on other figures, but some like the Ravens and eagles and Rhinos were pretty atrocious. Finally, the bodies of many of them, being semi-bare or covered in fur, don't mix and match well with other minifigure parts. Again some of the cats and characters in armor were ok on that count.

Finally, too many of the characters were just too darn ugly. Yes, villains can be a bit rugged and ugly, but kids and people in general like things that are a bit cute or aesthetically pleasing, which many of the Chima characters very much were not. From snarly faces to minifigs covered in scratches and the like, too many Chima minifigs were just a turn off.

I don't hate Chima.
It just not my theme.

It was a bit too bad that the theme was too much focussed on vehicles.
The sets based on locations looked really nice.