W Navarre

Nuclear Ekranoplan!

A new build :D ! I hope you like it, it was a lot of work!

Shiryokan Nuclear Ekranoplan by General  尓àvarre, on Flickr

50125817862_ee8696dee6_c.jpg

Doctor Aito Olezka by General  尓àvarre, on Flickr

50136949291_06a07274a5_c.jpg

More shots on the flickr page, please favorite it on flickr if you can, every like is very appreciated! C&C is also welcome, thank you for stopping by! 

Edited by W Navarre

That's awesome!  Is that a runway on the back, or is it supposed to be more of a ferry?  I think if it's a runway/aircraft carrier you might have an issue with the placement of those front engines in relation to other aircraft operations on its back, but the concept is fun nonetheless.  ... and the build is great!  :classic:

That’s awesome! I particularly like how the runway on the back looks almost curved, though I’d question functionality; how did you curve it? Or is it an optical illusion?

On 7/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, deraven said:

That's awesome!  Is that a runway on the back, or is it supposed to be more of a ferry?  I think if it's a runway/aircraft carrier you might have an issue with the placement of those front engines in relation to other aircraft operations on its back, but the concept is fun nonetheless.  ... and the build is great!  :classic:

Thank you! Thanks for the thoughtful analysis, that indeed is a runway for airplanes, but one would assume it's only meant to be used while parked in the water, but used for transporting the aircrafts faster. Your point is excellent, it was based in part off this artists design, which might have the same problem :laugh: . I also based it heavily off real Soviet Ekranoplans from the cold war. Thank you! 

18 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

That’s awesome! I particularly like how the runway on the back looks almost curved, though I’d question functionality; how did you curve it? Or is it an optical illusion?

Thanks! That's achieved using only small 2x1 bricks, and a little bit of brickbending. I used every single 2x1 in black that I had :grin: .

8 hours ago, W Navarre said:

it was based in part off this artists design

That looks cool, but very obviously just a mashup of an ekranoplan and an F-14 with no real thought to functionality.  ... but that doesn't mean these designs and you build are any less fun!  I've always thought the ekranoplan concept (and the few real vehicles that were produced) was fascinating and it was great to come across your MOC.  :sweet:

15 hours ago, W Navarre said:

... I based it heavily off real Soviet Ekranoplans from the cold war...

I had no idea what an Ekranoplan was so off to google where I lost hours looking at all the crazy stuff the Soviets built during the cold war!

A great model that reminds me of that sky captain movie. Is there a genre for that kind of thing like steampunk?

On 7/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, deraven said:

That looks cool, but very obviously just a mashup of an ekranoplan and an F-14 with no real thought to functionality.  ... but that doesn't mean these designs and you build are any less fun!  I've always thought the ekranoplan concept (and the few real vehicles that were produced) was fascinating and it was great to come across your MOC.  :sweet:

Thank you, yep, its definitely more artistic than accurate :wink: . Speaking of which, I am about to post a submarine, it'd be great to have your thoughts there, doubtless a few details are off or there are some engineering issues, although I did my best to make it completely realistic and accurate! Thanks again! 

On 7/22/2020 at 5:02 AM, ukbajadave said:

I had no idea what an Ekranoplan was so off to google where I lost hours looking at all the crazy stuff the Soviets built during the cold war!

A great model that reminds me of that sky captain movie. Is there a genre for that kind of thing like steampunk?

Haha, that's true for me too until I saw it a few weeks ago! Then I decided I had to build it for sure :wink: . I don't think this quite is steampunk, but it is kind of realistic near future . . but also a little on the fantastic side! Thanks!

On 7/22/2020 at 3:02 AM, ukbajadave said:

The word you're looking for is dieselpunk.