Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL - Ch3 - Cat D2] Not the end of the story I had imagined

Jack spied the three junks on the horizon. "Enemy ships south-southeast!" he yelled. "Make sail and bear directly for them! And signal the Colonial Storm!"

The crew of the brig Nightwing sprang to life. The helmsman turned the ship to the ordered bearing. The mainsails were unfurled and filled with wind almost immediately.

"Kate, my dear, we have them," remarked Jack to his longtime companion. "They outnumber us 3 to 2, but we have advantages in tonnage and I'm most certain we can put more shot into them then they can handle." Jack paused to take in the moment. "This will be our shining moment, a story that will be told throughout Eslandola, our conquest in the battle with the Lotus..."

"Er, Jack," Kate interrupted, "I think those odds aren't what you think."

"What do you mean?" he asked. Then he noticed Kate pointing at the man-o-war Colonial Storm, their squadron mate on this patrol. It had not turned to the Nightwing's new course. "What is the matter with Captain Bloenhardt? Can't he see the enemy is ours for the taking?!"

"I think he's hung you out to dry, luv," replied Kate. "It's possible he caught wind of your plans to take the Colonial Storm from him when we were up north."

"Nonesense, my dear. Those plans were known to only a trusted few. And had we not been ordered away from that island for this patrol, his ship would already be ours."

As Jack tried furiously to signal the Colonial Storm, it tacked away to the north, leaving the Nightwing all alone. "As much as I despise Bloenhardt, I can't believe he's a coward."

"I don't think he is, Jack," replied Kate. "But I think he stuck the knife in yer back before you could do the same to him."

Jack slumped against the rail and took in the scene. The Lotus junks, seeing the brig separated from the man-o-war, closed in line of battle and let loose a hail of gunfire.

fground.jpg

The Lotus ships continued to pound away, encircling the Nightwing and prepared to board her.

"We have lost before it even started," said Jack.

"So, what are you goin' to do, luv?" asked Kate.

"I must think of the men," Jack replied. "We could fight to the death, but discretion is the better part of valor. Better to strike our colors, save the crew, and live to fight another day."

"If we survive captivity," muttered Kate.

"This was not the end of the story I had imagined..." sighed Jack.

---

A much abbreviated build due to real life constraints. I think it still illustrates the story, but I had hoped to do more.

And here's a shot that has the junks in focus so you can see them a bit clearer:

Spoiler

hi.jpg

And here's a micro of the Nightwing that I didn't work into the official build:

Spoiler

nightwing.jpg

All C&C welcome.

Here are some nice microships, you've captured quite well the characteristics of the junks, even at his scale, though I'm not sure what these clamps on the bows are supposed to represent, as junks don't have bowsprits.:pir-classic:

ah ! Finally you've managed to make it ! :thumbup:

Great forced perspective with nice micros !

The junks style is well captured !

Good job !

Interesting story... What the hell is the Colonial Storm doing ? He had good time with my school ship rather than with the junks...  hope this is not a kind of racism !

Nice perspective with the junks... and nice micro sails

Great job capturing the look of junk sails.  Really nice FP.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:45 AM, Bodi said:

Here are some nice microships, you've captured quite well the characteristics of the junks, even at his scale,

Thanks!

On 7/16/2020 at 4:45 AM, Bodi said:

though I'm not sure what these clamps on the bows are supposed to represent, as junks don't have bowsprits.

Doh! You're right. What was I thinking? :pir_wacko:

On 7/16/2020 at 4:53 AM, Faladrin said:

Great forced perspective with nice micros !

The junks style is well captured !

Good job !

Thanks!

On 7/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Interesting story... What the hell is the Colonial Storm doing ? He had good time with my school ship rather than with the junks...

Of course, this happened the turn before its encounter with your school ship. I suspect his departure from this battle had nothing t do with the junks, as Kate suggests. But watch forn a change in captaincy of the Colonial Storm at some point, if Jack can ever catch it.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, Fraunces said:

Great continuation of the story of Merker. Waiting for the next part! :pir-huzzah2:

Glad you're enjoying it. I haven't had a chance to work on that storyline for awhile. Now I need to get Jack and Kate away from the Lotii...

3 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Great job capturing the look of junk sails.  Really nice FP.

Thanks. I always enjoy a chance to work with FP, and this time it was all I really had time for! :pir-grin:

Excellent micro-building and FP - the scattered stud approach works great here - but the story is what makes this something I couldn't miss commenting on!  It's awesome when the game mechanics influence the stories we tell, and then those are turned into builds and plot twists and - and it just makes the world alive.  I'm definitely hoping you'll come back to Jack and Kate soon, because you can't end here! :pir-grin:  Great stuff, Capt!