ace_klimax

[MOC] Propeller Plane (42040 alternate, 42077 c-model)

Build only from parts of 42077 model

Using 63% parts
Dimensions 36x44x14cm

Functions:
* engine and propeller is driven by small gears on floats
* steering gear works like pilot pedals and are rotating rudder
* driving stick is operating ailerons and elevators at the same time
* opening cargo doors

there are no spoilers or flaps on the plane

42077%20Propeller%20Plane%20animation.gi

01.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
03.jpg

my other models from 42077 set (can be found on rebrickable and bricksafe):
42077%20all%20mocs.jpg

History of this moc:
After building Hydroplane Racer and Hovercraft for my son, he didn't understand the concept of 'plane on water', because never seen such thing. So wanted me to build real plane.
I started small model in size of these 2 models, but soon decided to add more than rotating propeller so the model got bigger and bigger introducing functions.
With size of almost as big as Prop Plane (old technic set from 1988) I could not fit every driving controller to pilots position and it was really hard to manipulate it by child, so I decided to move it outside the model.
I strugled with making retracting landing gear operated from cabin and still moving engine pistons and propeller and at this point I remembered, that the lego technic allready has some really similar and newer set. I actually build almost the same model introducing 1 function on top of it. I just have to flip elevator moving direction. Floats was then easy, because pieces needed for them were stil available.
I was not happy with color combination so rebuilded the model several times. Even finished model isn't much color pleasing :( but it's the best I could afford from available pieces.

Edited by ace_klimax

Wow, you really mastered that set... that is an insane amount of C-models (and alternates). I like that you also did some non-vehicle builds, the plane is a very nice surprise coming from this set! 

12 hours ago, Shiva said:

That's more than a few versions :)

I have still 3 ideas in my drawer for 42077,

but recently got 42082 Rough Terrain Crane set, so decided to move my building experience to bigger models as I have list of 8 ideas what to do next from this model :)

Edited by ace_klimax

11 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Wow, you really mastered that set... that is an insane amount of C-models (and alternates). I like that you also did some non-vehicle builds, the plane is a very nice surprise coming from this set! 

Yes, I was also surprised what all can be done with simple and limited set, that has only several gears to work with.

It's just about some out-of-the-box thinking

@Tomik build nice helicopter out of this set.