Sign in to follow this  
jyd80

[B MODEL] Go-Kart (42102 alternate)

Hi there,

Just made this simple alternate from the 42102 Mini Claas Xerion:

DSC04681-small.jpg

It features a working steering wheel (using a direction with links, unlike the A model), and a working engine with a rear transmission. The LA holder is used as a cylinder and the piston uses the same technique as introduced in the 9393-B model.

DSC04686-small.jpgDSC04695-small.jpgDSC04696-small.jpg

Building instructions are available on Rebrickable.

Smart little model. The engine even being functional is the best surprise of all. Smart part usage using the LA bracket there, and love that little red exhaust pipe. But the whole model looks great and even quite large for the set.

The only minor gripe would be the vertical steering wheel, but that doesn't seem fixable in any way.

To me, this is what B models should be. Different from the A.

Thank you all for the positive feedback!

As for the steering wheel: yes, I did spent some time on this part, much more than on the transmission! But I could not come with a way to have the wheel not vertical. There is just not enough parts! Another frustration is the front: I tried to have a hood that is not fully horizontal. I could make one, but using some of the parts of the exhaust. I then realised that this very simple pipe gives a lot of identity to the model, more than the hood... si I kept it. B-models are a lot about compromises!

6 minutes ago, jyd80 said:

B-models are a lot about compromises!

I think you made the right compromises in this model, looks perfect and as Erik Leppen said, it is surprisingly functional for it's size. Even the colors work really good in this combo. Well done, reminds me of the '90's when B-models where often like this: a total surprise compared to the A-model, both in looks and functions.