HoMa

12 Volt Roundhouse "Bamberg" (remote controlled turntable)

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – front paranorama view

12 Volt Roundhouse full front view

Back in April I presented some will received train MOCs in 12 Volt grey era style. Recently the Brick Train Awards caught my attention and this contest was a good reason to pick up on my 12 Volt Roundhouse project which started 2016/2017 but was never finished. So time was limited, the deadline came closer. But I made it. Now it's time to share the 12 Volt Roundhouse with you folks. I named the Roundhouse "Bamberg", the city I live in. And close to my place there is the ruin of the real Roundhouse. Nothing more to see there and the place is prohibited to visit. So my Roundhouse is just a phantasy model, like the 12 Volt grey era trains sets are also "phantasy", but pretty close to Deutsche Bundesbahn locomotives and waggons.

The Roundhouse has 7 segments, one for each official steam engine of the Grey Era from 1980 - 1986 which are: 7710, 7715, 7722, 7727, 7730, 7750 and 7810. The side and back walls are build entirely with 1x2 and 1x1 plates in red and dark-red to model the characteristics of red brick walls. The segments are modular in a 3-1-3 configuration for easy transportation.

The turntable is operated remote controlled using a Electric, Train 12V Remote Control 8 x 10 with 2 Circled Arrows Pattern which fits nicely with the more standard remote controls for signals and switches. An old 12 Volt Technic motor is integrated in the bottom of the turntable. The 2 cables are used to power the motor and the electric middle rail on the turntable. The cables are not placed well, the should go in the centre of the rotation point. Hmm, I need to think of a purist solution for this issue.

If you build a turntable, the complete track level has to be elevated. So the complete layout (except the roundhouse and the turntable) is elevated by 2-3 layers of brick. This is really eating my basics and plates in old dark grey, dark tan and black. But it was worth it. Using an elevated brick build ground it was easy to hide all the cables for the good old 12 light posts and the power supply for the tracks in the Roundhouse.

Finally some typical 1980's style vehicles and other accessory bring back the typical charm from this time. Trucks were only 4 studs wide ... long time ago.

Enjoy the video and the pictures :-) Stay safe and healtyh and keep 12 Volt alive!

Holger

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – sideview with 7730 an 7727

#7730 and #7727meet just outside the Roundhouse

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – paranorama view from the back

The blue workers are busy unloading the new #7750 train wheel from a #7720 platform waggon. A MOC diesel V36 engine brought in the valuable delivery.

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – helping each other

No social distancing required for LEGO blue work-men

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – backyard and street entrance

The backyard has an additional access by rail and by road. Can you spot the statue of the founder of the Roundhouse?

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – back door view

Back door view through the Roundhouse. Can you identify the steamer on the turntable?

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – Green Mallet steam engine on turntable

My green Mallet steam engine on the turntable. #7750 (derailed, opps) is getting fresh coals.

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – wiring diagramm

This graphic shows the wiring diagram. The 12 Volt trafo powers the turntable and the selected track.

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – Diesel engine check

The V36 MOC engine has some trouble. The hood was lifted off so the blue mechanic man can fix this issue.

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – At night

It's getting late, but the blue workers are still busy.

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – work at night

Not very secure to keep the lights on while weltering the mast?

LEGO 12 V Roundhouse – full view at night

Top view of the Roundhouse at night.

All pictures also in my Flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/holgermatthes/albums/72157715067356186

Edited by HoMa
fixed some typos

Oh Mann, Holger ...

yet another bold proof that was no reason - none what so ever - for 9V, nor PF, nor RC, nor PuP. Just 12V for ever. It looks like LEGO, it feels like LEGO - and when you want to use all the new bricks evolving over the time: Use them and do it. :pir-huzzah2:

I never had 12V when I was young (just recently bought some 12V track and models - just to feel it) but this system is so nicely thought out ... 

Very, very nice diorama.

With best regards,
Thorsten

Hi Holger,

such a labour of love or should I better say labour of patience, "brick"-laying the walls out of all those 1x2 and 1x1 plates!

A real beauty you created here!

BR

Carsten

That's incredible - can the turntable rotate indefinitely or do the wires powering the turntable track get twisted?

4 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

That's incredible - can the turntable rotate indefinitely or do the wires powering the turntable track get twisted?

The wires get twisted, 180 degrees in both directions is the maximum. Which is enough. But I will think of a purist solution to run the wires throught the center. Ideas are welcome. I should work to get 2 wires through the middle axle hole of the 40 tooth gear in the middle.

Just amazing - wow! Such a great model - fits in with the ‘grey era’ aesthetic while still being impressive in size and construction!

On 7/14/2020 at 9:45 PM, Toastie said:

Oh Mann, Holger ...

yet another bold proof that was no reason - none what so ever - for 9V, nor PF, nor RC, nor PuP. Just 12V for ever. It looks like LEGO, it feels like LEGO - and when you want to use all the new bricks evolving over the time: Use them and do it. :pir-huzzah2:I

And amen to that!! :)

Looks nice :)

Is there no way for rails to provide the power for the turntable? Altho, it seems that the 12rails radius/diameter is too big to be used inside that turntable?

This is just amazing Holger. As others have said, it proves the point about the functionality of 12v, takes it to another level.Thank you for sharing another inspiring creation.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, HoMa said:

The wires get twisted, 180 degrees in both directions is the maximum. Which is enough. But I will think of a purist solution to run the wires throught the center. Ideas are welcome. I should work to get 2 wires through the middle axle hole of the 40 tooth gear in the middle.

Perhaps using This piece is the purist sollution you are looking for. It is a rather large piece though, so I don't know whether it'd fit.

Amazing job. This must be beyond my wildest dreams when I was young. That 12V system was so nice. Ah well... 

But in any case this is a great job. 

Simply fantastic :wub_drool::wub_drool:  ... impressive deployment of steam engines and bricks! :grin_wub:
Only one thing is missing from this forum ... the post on the front page, but I trust that it can arrive any minute! :laugh:

This is truly amazing. Looks like a dream layout and works like a charm. I can see lot of work was put in there and it is well thought-out. As Dav1d wrote, you have captured the 12V spirit.

Seeing this magic was partly responsible not to sell my 12V stuff. :wink:

This is amazing stuff, wow. Truly impressive, with so much to look at. I can only imagine how long it took you to build this. Cool!

This is an impressive diorama, as many have said, it fully captures 12v spirit. Congratulations! Wish I had the space and time to build something like this, cannot even build something as small as the fuel station built on moon baseplate on 7777 ideas book. At least I bought and read your book Holger :D