JamesJT

[B Model] Lamborghini Miura SV from 42056

Hotly anticipated! Been drooling over the sneak peeks in your flickr albums since what seems like forever... :wub_drool:

Now, obviously, we're all thinking Lime these days... Do you think the wheel covers could be remodeled to fit the Sian's wheel arches? Would that even be an improvement?

(Yes for the moment I'm disregarding the absence of 7x3 panels in Lime.)

Fantastic job - this is the first time I’ve had any interest in buying the Porsche! This looks significantly more attractive and playable than the A model.

This is amazing! You've done an incredible job to capture the shape of a particularly 'curvy' car with Technic pieces - I'd say you've done a better job of the Miura's shape than Lego did with the GT3RS. I particularly like the way you've done the front wings, which I wouldn't have thought could be done that well with Technic panels. And to have managed to include the doors (with the distinctive B-pillars), clamshells, a boot, gearbox and engine, and even pop-up headlights - and to have been able to do that using just the parts in the A model is a fantastic achievement! You've managed to close in the bodywork so well that I honestly think someone looking at them side-by-side might think that Lego's version was the B model :head_back: And you had just the right amount of orange and black pieces to match the real thing's styling - I'm curious to compare the parts list to see what would be left over, as it's hard to believe it could be that good a match, and in the same scale as 42056.

The only utterly trivial things I can find to say against it is that shouldn't it only have one door mirror, on just the driver's side? :wink: (Not that I'm fortunate enough to be an expert on Miuras.) And I think on the real thing, the front clamshell doesn't hit the ground when you open it (I winced at that point in the video :laugh_hard:) But of course those are just said in jest and not intended as a criticism.

I normally prefer just to take inspiration from other people's MOCs and work out how to do something similar, but I think I might have to buy the building instructions for this.:thumbup:

Thanks for that @astyanax, I was going to do the comparison at some point but you've save me the trouble! As I thought, there really aren't that many panels left over from the original 42056 set, showing what a good match @JamesJT's model is for the official set and how cleverly he's used them.

I'm surprised that this MOC hasn't got more attention on the forum than it seems to have, from the number of comments. I'm really looking forward to building it - my 42056 currently looks as if it's in a wrecker's yard as I've started pulling it to bits in readiness :classic:

On 7/10/2020 at 7:35 PM, astyanax said:

Do you think the wheel covers could be remodeled to fit the Sian's wheel arches? Would that even be an improvement? (Yes for the moment I'm disregarding the absence of 7x3 panels in Lime.)

I am going to try this with 42115 but it make have to be MOC rather than B model. Halfway through my second 42115 B model and I'm loving the new arches but lack of 7x3x2 lime panel is an issue. WHY can't we have a full palette in just one colour???

On 7/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, Jon61 said:

This is amazing!

...the front clamshell doesn't hit the ground when you open it (I winced at that point in the video :laugh_hard:)

Thank you. I spend 80 to 100 hours making these models, I'm happy that you like and spent time looking at the details.

Sorry about the front shell. I could have put the pivot point further forward but I could see the bracket and it spoiled the look

12 hours ago, Jon61 said:

I'm surprised that this MOC hasn't got more attention on the forum than it seems to have, from the number of comments.

I'm really looking forward to building it

My models never get many comments on Eurobricks but I rarely comment on others posts; It's karma! My i8 only got 2 replies.

Let me know what you think of the gearbox. Its an odd one as half of it is transverse.

1 hour ago, JamesJT said:

I am going to try this with 42115 but it make have to be MOC rather than B model. Halfway through my second 42115 B model and I'm loving the new arches but lack of 7x3x2 lime panel is an issue. WHY can't we have a full palette in just one colour???

Exciting to hear!

Sometimes a single 7x3x2 panel can be replaced by a #3/#4 panel plus a "Bionicle tooth" 85x85p.jpg to fill the gap. Other times, two adjacent 7x3x2 panels can be replaced by a single 11x3x2 panel plus some filling. However, even of the 11x3x2 panels we get only 2 in Lime. :wall:

However, the Sian does come with many more #21/#22 panels than the Porsche, so perhaps it's more a matter of adopting a different sculpting style...

Regarding the MOC vs B-model debate, in the Ferrari Enzo thread we considered whether there might exist 1 (small) companion set to supply additional parts. But now I'm thinking there might be another acceptable compromise: you could decide on a limited set of part classes from which you allow yourself to draw additional parts. For example, you could declare that the Lime Miura shares all parts with the Sian except for several additional Technic Panels and Transparent System pieces. So all beams, connectors, axles, etc. will still be drawn from the Sian only. If MOC and B-model were on a scale, I think this strategy would still keep you far on the B-model side of this scale.

This moc is fantastic, maybe a little underestimated (only 8 replies ???). Building it was very stimulating, the result is incredible, I made some changes that involved a few more pieces. I built the model in black, I had a few parts in orange in my stock and I tried to make the interior in this color even though it would have needed a few more parts.

Thanks for bumping this thread, that B model looks gorgeous, I will be getting the instructions for sure. 

Wow! That black really makes it pop! Amazing to that this is originally a B-model. Really love it.

Great work to OP. Would love to have a view of the underside as well as some more diagrams/explanations of the technical aspects of the model.

_ED_