A Wild P42

Custom train bogies/trucks

Nice idea, but it is not really clear how you did it, so you could add some more views from different angles and remove unused background parts.

B.t.w. welcome at Eurobricks and Train Tech, while you are in here, see also some of the tips in my signature.

Looking good. It's indeed a bit to see, maybe another color?
I do recognize the hose nozzles and a buckethandle? 

6 hours ago, neonic said:

Looking good. It's indeed a bit to see, maybe another color?
I do recognize the hose nozzles and a buckethandle? 

Yeah, the hose nozzles make good 'springs'

7 hours ago, JopieK said:

Nice idea, but it is not really clear how you did it, so you could add some more views from different angles and remove unused background parts.

B.t.w. welcome at Eurobricks and Train Tech, while you are in here, see also some of the tips in my signature.

I will post some more pictures later. I used 99781 and 99780 to get the clips on their sides. Btw, the 'read this' link in your signature says I don't have permission to view it.

If using LDD, blue render or povray can be downloaded to give some nice looking renders.

From what I can tell the design looks promising as long as you don't have wheel rub!

Just now, Roadmonkeytj said:

If using LDD, blue render or povray can be downloaded to give some nice looking renders.

From what I can tell the design looks promising as long as you don't have wheel rub!

Thanks!

Sorry guys, no pictures yet because I uninstalled LDD for not having all the pieces. I'll post pics once I can find a way to download 4.3.11 from a trusted source.

Edited by A Wild P42

From what I can make out it looks nice....

Maybe you can show two versions; one in black and one in rainbow to show how it's built.

13 hours ago, Shiva said:

Shouldn't https://www.lego.com/en-us/ldd be OK to download from? Altho that is the 4.3.12 version, for Windows and 4.3.11 for Mac.

That's the problem, the one from lego.com doesn't have all the pieces

12 hours ago, Sérgio said:

Nice part usage! i like it

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Duq said:

From what I can make out it looks nice....

Maybe you can show two versions; one in black and one in rainbow to show how it's built.

Ok, I'll try once I can get the good LDD version

I've talked to people on Discord and they say that the LDD dowload from lego.com is 4.3.12 while 4.3.11 is the good version.

I'm on windows

I've never liked LDD. It's still MLCad all the way for me but then I've used it for... 15 year?

Studio has worked well for me...I run it on Windows 7 with no issues. There isn't much learning curve compared to LDD. They have up-to-date parts and you can import custom parts like BBB wheels.

I have no clue what difference there is between the 4.3.12 and 4.3.11. I do have the latter.

19 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I have no clue what difference there is between the 4.3.12 and 4.3.11. I do have the latter.

Where did you download 4.3.11 from?

32 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

Studio has worked well for me...I run it on Windows 7 with no issues. There isn't much learning curve compared to LDD. They have up-to-date parts and you can import custom parts like BBB wheels.

I tried Stud.io and I found it hard to use. I'm also on laptop so I can't move the camera and I don't plan to get a mouse. I like the simplicity of LDD.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:42 AM, A Wild P42 said:

Sorry guys, no pictures yet because I uninstalled LDD for not having all the pieces. I'll post pics once I can find a way to download 4.3.11 from a trusted source.

Oh man, I feel for you, some of my favorite non-lego software packages have gone obsolete and all of the alternatives really suck. You are probably living on borrowed time, it is unlikely LDD will ever get a parts update even if you are able to backdate to the older version, at some point the palette will become so limiting. But you could go to a hybrid approach by doing most of your building in LDD, then port over to stud.io to add the 5% of the parts that are not in LDD (and maybe even get a cheap mouse to help with it for the 30 min you spend in stud.io)

In fact my situation is worse than yours, I'm mostly on a Mac and the current OS will not and will never again support some of my key apps. So I will need to keep an OS 10.14 machine indefinitely. This is like the second or third time they've done a sweeping obsolescence. On the other hand, I had to update my windows last year and if I recall correctly, that thing will still run DOS programs... sigh.

We're going a bit off-topic but...

MLCad is no longer being maintained/ updated :-(  I've tried Studio and LDCad but I just can't get my head around the way you move parts in those packages. Using the 2D movement of a mouse to somehow navigate in 3D with parts jumping around to 'snap' somewhere... it's just not for me.

It sucks when tools you love disappear. Smart Defrag up to v4 was brilliant but those versions are really hard to find. I still edit my images in Paint Shop Pro 7. It's now 19 years old and while not perfect I haven't found another editor that's as easy to use with enough options to do everything I want without being overloaded with a million functions like Photoshop. And despite being developed for Windows 98 it still works in Windows 10!

6 hours ago, Coal Fired Bricks said:

Looks like a good solution. BTW @JopieK the "read this  link doesn't work.

It does, but only if you are a new member, maybe we should set different limits on that.

@Duq, it (studio) is indeed a steep learning curve, but it is at least easier than Fusion 360 :)

Studio takes some getting used to, but I like it a lot. I've used MLCAD in the past when building a train (maybe I'll finish it someday), but I couldn't imagine building large models like my river canyon in it. I could be unfamiliar with a lot of its functionality though. I didn't know that MLCAD was no longer receiving updates. That sucks.

I'm still learning how to do coordinate placement and other more advanced features in Studio, but I've been really impressed with it's functionality. You have to play with the snapping mechanics a bit, but once you start to understand it, it gets easier. Working at angles is a pain in the a$$ though. 

13 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

So I will need to keep an OS 10.14 machine indefinitely.

Not sure if you can do this with MAC but it's possible with windows ... Use a bigger thumb drive and you can install apps on the drive as well.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive

Used to do this with XP so I didn't have to carry two laptops ... Just booted my personal system on the company laptop when traveling.  Since it wasn't a remote log they had no log of what I was doing.

9 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Not sure if you can do this with MAC but it's possible with windows ... Use a bigger thumb drive and you can install apps on the drive as well.

I derailed the topic and I really don't want to keep it off topic, but this tip is just so helpful I need to say thanks, it can be done on a mac too and when OS 10.14 is no longer supported I'll go that route

On 7/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, Duq said:

MLCad is no longer being maintained/ updated :-(

Well it depends. There was an issue with the MLCAD.ini file recently (if I recall correctly - colors were all wrong due to new color definitions). I raised that issue in the "LEGO Digital Designer and ..." forum. They in turn contacted Michael Lachmann. As I did. He responded nicely and the issue was fixed. Colors do work flawlessly again.

And yes: I am using solely MLCAD for building (and Stud.io for rendering). No snapping or flopping, no "no" only: "Just Do It". First files date back to the year 2000. 

And MLCAD runs like a Bosch/Miele/AEG washing machine; on 98, 2000, XP, 7, and 10. Without any glitch. For me, there is no need for any update. The parts update, i.e. the most crucial thing, is in the LDraw open source community, where it is maintained ... it is so cool.

(and thank you for the "prototype" clarification - did not know that at all!)

Best
Thorsten