Thaddeus Calvo, the Eslandian adventurer somewhat well known in certain social circles, had extensively explored the island of Maldria for the previous six months. He encountered several similar but independent native tribes inhabiting different regions of the island, and discovered that they were familiar with trading with outsiders, as they traded with the Tyree'De, a non-Halosian people from an unknown land to the south. These discoveries led Eslandolan officials to believe that another settlement on the island of Maldria was needed. The tribes that would trade at the town of Interlagos on the north coast did not appear to travel extensively to the southern coast. A fertile river valley on the southwest portion of the island was a perfect location for another settlement: accessible overland from Interlagos via a pass in the hills that formed the spine of the island, land suitable for farming, rivers that would provide access to the island's interior, and a natural sheltered harbor for sea-going vessels. So Calvo set out from Interlagos again, this time with a crew of men to build a trading post on one of the southwestern rivers.

Calvo and his men found a suitable spot at the mouth of one of the rivers. Sandy beach, but with rocky outcroppings suitable as a foundation for permanent structures.

First they built a dock to receive ships large and small.

05boatv3.jpg

Next they built a small structure that would serve as both a warehouse and office.

02trading_post.jpg

Finally they built a watch tower to serve not only as a lookout, but as a landmark for traders on both land and sea to see from a distance.

04tower.jpg

It didn't take long before scouts from one of the local native tribes came to check out what the Eslandians were doing.

06indv3.jpg

And so the trading post of Punto Sur was established.

01fullv3.jpg

Maps:

Spoiler

Island of Maldria:

maldria-.jpg

Location of Punto Sur:

maldria3b.jpg

---------------------------

The main elements of this build were inspired by the classic Imperial Trading Post set: small rectangular building, tower, dock, and crane. I hope you like my take on that classic.

The last two pics were taken at a different time than the first three, and so the light was different and for some reason they have a pink cast I couldn't edit out. :pir-sceptic:

All C&C welcome.

This one is a brilliant build. Despite simple, the house and the tower are clever. The crane is wonderful !

The base and landscape are great, and I like how you render the waves (will borrow for sure)

I really really love that build. Clean lines as always and instantly recognised style of yours. The printed panels give the moc a lot of character and so do the rockwork and the crane. The sea is amazing too. Is it a single layer of round plates or a double one? I take it took you A LOT of time to complete, eh? (and what about dismantling when time comes? :pir-look:)

Simply beautiful and instantly recognisable as your style - I love the way you somehow blend classic and modern techniques. The landscaping is very well done and I think building up the height of the tower really lifted the whole build. That water is great as well and must have taken ages!

Very nice clean build. Your style is instantly recognisable indeed. I really like the combination between classic an new colors and more "modern" techniques. Great build full of details: like the poles going from dark to old to new brown. Nice.

What catches my eye here is the rockwork.  The olive and grey blend works very well.  I also really like the use of those brown technic bits with four bars sticking out on the scaffolding for the crane!

Nice Trading Post!  Just posted it in the Classic Pirates Facebook Group and within a minute someone said:

The mix of old pieces and new techniques looks incredible!

Nice build! The warehouse and the tower both look very good. The water, the sand beach and the rockwork look great too.

Another amazing build from your hand, Capt Wolf. Your style is instantly recognizable yet the builds are never repetitive.

One might be a bit concerned that Eslandola is spreading its claims, though....

Thanks to everyone for the comments! I wasn't sure if the style combo worked, but apparently it does. I'm glad people are enjoying this classic pirates homage as much as I did building it.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:35 PM, Sir Kingston said:

This was one’s definitely a throwback to the classics!

That was the idea, and is the idea for future builds. The settlement is meant as a place to build MOCs that are reminiscent of the classic pirate sets, whether strictly in vintage style or with modern interpretations of same. I think it'll be fun to see others' take on the classic pirate style.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, Professor Thaum said:

I like how you render the waves (will borrow for sure)

Glad you like them. I wasn't sure if it would turn out ok or not. And please borrow anything you like!

On 7/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, blackdeathgr said:

The sea is amazing too. Is it a single layer of round plates or a double one? I take it took you A LOT of time to complete, eh? (and what about dismantling when time comes? :pir-look:)

It's a single layer. There are wedge plates near shore to create the gentle wave ripple. And it didn't actually take that much time. Maybe a couple of hours to put on the 1x1 round plates, and a half hour watching TV while I strip them off into a big bowl to dismantle.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:32 AM, Ayrlego said:

Simply beautiful and instantly recognisable as your style - I love the way you somehow blend classic and modern techniques. The landscaping is very well done and I think building up the height of the tower really lifted the whole build. That water is great as well and must have taken ages!

I guess I have developed a style; I hadn't really intended to. I was worried that the classic and modern combo wouldn't work, but I've had too much fun using the old printed panels in some of my recent builds. And I thought the tower needed more height, but I didn't want to change the basic proportions of the original, so it needed the higher ground.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, Fraunces said:

Great build full of details: like the poles going from dark to old to new brown. Nice.

Thank you for noticing that!

On 7/8/2020 at 6:06 PM, Kai NRG said:

What catches my eye here is the rockwork.  The olive and grey blend works very well.  I also really like the use of those brown technic bits with four bars sticking out on the scaffolding for the crane!

I've grown to really like how olive works with grays for rocky builds. And I agree the technic bits of the crane scaffolding are great. I can't take credit for that; I stole it from somewhere, but can't recall where.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:43 PM, Mister Phes said:

Nice Trading Post!  Just posted it in the Classic Pirates Facebook Group and within a minute someone said:

The mix of old pieces and new techniques looks incredible!

Thank you for both comments!

On 7/9/2020 at 4:28 AM, Bodi said:

Nice build! The warehouse and the tower both look very good. The water, the sand beach and the rockwork look great too.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

Another amazing build from your hand, Capt Wolf. Your style is instantly recognizable yet the builds are never repetitive.

Thanks, and glad to hear I haven't become repetitive. I've been doing a lot of rock work lately, as that was something I needed to improve, and I've been using the printed panels a lot lately too. I just enjoy the throwback vibe.

Love the classic style and fairly muted color-scheme here, Capt - the reds and yellow really shine against them, and that roof and the windows look great! :drool:  And as others have mentioned, the crane and cross-sections are simply wonderful as well!

I do feel like a little bit of brighter picture (or higher white balance in the camera) would make the colors pop a little more in later few pictures (more like in the first one), but that's the only minor nitpick I've got - very nice work, Captain!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:42 PM, valon said:

very cool build !!!!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I came across a bunch of those old printed wall panels and wanted to find a way to use them.

I've tried to encourage others who build in Punto Sur to build with a nod to the classic sets in some way as a unifying theme for the settlement. Mixed results so far. :pir_wacko: