Hi everyone, I have been building for a while now and I haven't noticed any instructions for a simple 4 output gearbox using no transmission parts. Now everyone I have come up with a solution, here we present to you a simple 4 output transmission system that has 1 motor input. If anyone is interested please let me know so that I can guess if it is worth making instructions. 

IMG_E1070.JPG 

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG 

Feel free to ask questions and follow the discussion for updates. Follow us for more gearbox and other simple designs.

I would be interested in a 4-8 outputs gearbox with 1input and a second motor to choose the output axle, with one some axles heavy power needed and others not. Working in both directions. This to make a machine which uses a sequence of linear actuators need less motors to be driven. This one drives all 4 outputs at once I think?

50 minutes ago, Mr Jos said:

I would be interested in a 4-8 outputs gearbox with 1input and a second motor to choose the output axle, with one some axles heavy power needed and others not. Working in both directions. This to make a machine which uses a sequence of linear actuators need less motors to be driven. This one drives all 4 outputs at once I think?

Okay, that can be done, I might be designing instructions now. Sorry that I don’t have a video. Each of these outputs can be activated by pressing the yellow connectors in and pulling them out. In this design the top outputs (1 and 2) have much more torque but the bottom ones have more speed, they could easily be changed to be very torquey. You can use a motor to activate the outputs. Follow the discussion for more info as I am refining this transmission as I am texting.

What is the advantage of this over, say, a row of gears sandwiched between two technic beams? They can also be turned on and off by pulling axles and all have the same rotation speed.

2 minutes ago, MAB said:

What is the advantage of this over, say, a row of gears sandwiched between two technic beams? They can also be turned on and off by pulling axles and all have the same rotation speed.

First of all, output 1 and 2 has a slower speed than output 3 and 4 output 4 being the most torquey of the outputs and output 1 being he fastes. If you please turn your attention to the picture below,

IMG_1068.JPG

the four yellow connectors are the switches for each output. If you don’t understand I might have to make a video.

The advantage is that you only need 1 motor to control all 4 outputs independently, making it easier to add more functions like a crane, winch and etc. You don’t need to use 4 motors you can control all 4 functions using this compact transmission. 

I cannot quite make out how the switches work, do they just pull a gear out of being engaged?

They basically do that but they pull out and push in an auxiliary gear that can connect the output to the input. This is all independent, to each output. So for each output there is an auxiliary gear that connects the input to the output, they all have different speeds and torques.

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

I cannot quite make out how the switches work, do they just pull a gear out of being engaged?

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

Just follow the discussion for more info and updates

What's wrong with using normal driving rings to engage and disengage the output gears?

9 hours ago, howitzer said:

What's wrong with using normal driving rings to engage and disengage the output gears?

Nothing, just that when your like me and doesn’t have those driving rings and other “proper” transmission parts, this is very useful.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, Mr Jos said:

Hello, I have a studio and LDD file ready. The studio file has some instructions on how to build the 4 output gearbox. If you are still interested please send me a private message on eurobricks.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, Jurss said:

What is possible usage of this?

On 7/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, Mr Jos said:

On 7/6/2020 at 7:20 PM, suffocation said:

On 7/6/2020 at 9:08 PM, MAB said:

On 7/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, MAB said:

On 7/6/2020 at 9:49 PM, howitzer said:

Hello everyone, I have a studio and LDD file ready. The studio file has some instructions on how to build the 4 output gearbox. If you are still interested please send me a private message on eurobricks.