RickyWasAYoungBoy

[MOC] LEGO Amfleet I Coach

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Amfleet is a fleet of single-level intercity railroad passenger cars built by the Budd Company for American company Amtrak in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"Amfleet is a totally American style that was mean to imitate airplanes. That's my quarrel!...The vision for the future of the railroad should be based on defining its own dreams, not appropriating them solely from someone else's experience."

— Cesar Vergara, in "Amtrak's design on the future" (1992), Bob Johnston
 
Yeah, one of the most iconic passenger coach design in the world. Deep impression on my 2012 ride without knowing what Amfleet was.

Amfleet_1.jpg

Speaking of Amfleet MOCs I have to mention Shupp's work back in 2011 which inspired me in a lot of aspects.

My version added the body bumps using 1x2 grill parts. 

Bricks Count: 1366 (including 375 grill parts #2412b in gray color)

Length: 51.9 cm

Height: 10.3 cm

Width: 8.2 studs

50078653656_7b3d3683df_k.jpg

Edited by RickyWasAYoungBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

This is exceptional. Is there room for passengers?

Hardly, only 4 studs internal space. The curved walls are thick...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RickyWasAYoungBoy said:

Hardly, only 4 studs internal space. The curved walls are thick...

No big. Not like you could see people through the windows, anyway. You should do an F40PH to go with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  I may be wrong but at least in that pic it appears to be closer to dark blue than bright blue.  Anyway, awesome job.  Will you build it in real bricks and if so, when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ah yes! The classic Amfleet. One of Amtrak's longest running local passenger service coaches. Funny, I've ridden on the Amtrak lots of times in my life and only rode on Amfleets. I've never ridden on the Supreliner or the Acela. That's sad. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Wow!  I may be wrong but at least in that pic it appears to be closer to dark blue than bright blue.  Anyway, awesome job.  Will you build it in real bricks and if so, when?

So is that blue a common color? If so it'll be great!

And I'll surely build it in real bricks. Just hesitating which color to use for the grill parts, matt silver or gray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Surprised to see one of the 2020 award-winning creation so similar with my Amfleet

Here's my latest version

50172767532_9d264bc2e0_k.jpg

Added the red lights in both ends,

Changed the blue color,

Added interior (5-stud width)

 

Edited by RickyWasAYoungBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RickyWasAYoungBoy said:

Surprised to see one of the 2020 award-winning creation so similar with my Amfleet

 

 

I thought that this was what had won :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RickyWasAYoungBoy said:

Surprised to see one of the 2020 award-winning creation so similar with my Amfleet

But they called it an Amfleet II instead of I.  :wink:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sérgio said:

I thought that this was what had won :classic:

I thought the same thing.

 

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

But they called it an Amfleet II instead of I.  :wink:

I believe that Amfleet II has larger windows and a single door compared to Amfleet I. So this model is correctly classified

 

BTW, overall this is a great build, but I suspect you'll have to redo the coupler mount if you want to take any curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also thought it was your model that won. Fascinating to see, because at first sight it seems to be almost identical, but if you look twice, the model of of the BTA looks like it has a very different building style, like a "less sophisticated version", as far as you can say that with this building style. Just look at the roof (not as lovely curved as yours, and no grill tiles!), the wagon ends (remind me more of Shupp's version), the wheels (same), the doors (you did properly recess them, these seem to be slapped on) and the two rows of grill tiles above the windows with a gap that hurts my eyes compared to yours.

BTW it's amazing to see so many takes on that ribbing of the Budd coach. I think I have seen at least four now; two old ones by Matt Csenge and Gerrit Carstensen, the one that won the BTA (it would be nice of those builders would show off their builds a bit more than just a 800px picture? Are there any more deeplinks available @BricksMcgee?) and ofcourse yours. Out of which yours was the first one that ever managed to finish their model, so hats of to you!

(Oh, and yes, there is Shupp's, which is still my personal favorite becuause it's so sleek, but that one doesn't use grill tiles so doesn't count...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking great.
the Dark blue looks maybe more 'original' but the light blue I like more personally.
Also those tiles looks great with those 'ribs' and nice job with the roof. I was wondering how you made that curved shape?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, raised said:

I also thought it was your model that won. Fascinating to see, because at first sight it seems to be almost identical, but if you look twice, the model of of the BTA looks like it has a very different building style, like a "less sophisticated version", as far as you can say that with this building style. Just look at the roof (not as lovely curved as yours, and no grill tiles!), the wagon ends (remind me more of Shupp's version), the wheels (same), the doors (you did properly recess them, these seem to be slapped on) and the two rows of grill tiles above the windows with a gap that hurts my eyes compared to yours.

BTW it's amazing to see so many takes on that ribbing of the Budd coach. I think I have seen at least four now; two old ones by Matt Csenge and Gerrit Carstensen, the one that won the BTA (it would be nice of those builders would show off their builds a bit more than just a 800px picture? Are there any more deeplinks available @BricksMcgee?) and ofcourse yours. Out of which yours was the first one that ever managed to finish their model, so hats of to you!

(Oh, and yes, there is Shupp's, which is still my personal favorite becuause it's so sleek, but that one doesn't use grill tiles so doesn't count...)

What’s posted was the only image sent from what I remember.

We’re looking at ways to post all entries and share more images of certain builds in future years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.