Pchan1983

REVIEW: 60266 Ocean Exploration Ship

Here is my review on 60266 Ocean Exploration Ship:

THE GOOD:

• The ship does look massive.
  • Love the new sting ray.
  • Glad the Great White is back.
  • Interesting new diving gears.
  • Great use of stickers to make the aquariums.
  • Great lab area.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• The scale of the main hall is a bit off.  Look even a bit small for minifigure to stand in top level.
  • Not indication on how minifigures can get to the lab.
  • The pirate shipwreck's steering is a bit too modern.

This set by no means is bad, it has it great parts and its own flaws.  I particularly like its size when view from the size, the minifigures, the marine animals and the research lab.  And I really like the use of stickers this time round. However, I really feel disappointed when there is no implication on how the minifigures are going to get to the lab.  The scale is a bit off.  This is indeed an expensive set but I'm glad I bought it 25% off which was a good deal.  I will only recommend if you desperately need the great white or never own a lego boat before, otherwise wait for a clearance later this year.

Eh can't say I love this one. There's not much to do underwater and the boat looks a bit weird, like the superstructure is too small

A little too big for my town. But it's good for display purposes. Looks amazing!

Edited by Brandon Pea

Looks like a cool set to somehow motorize and use in something like a garden swimming pool, to make use of the floating hulls.

Also a nice set or template for a seaport layout, could turn in to 2 ships as well.

Personally I'd rather get the 2020 underwater base, and use the 2019 Diving Yacht as I don't have a large layout, and there are some nice Pirate Ship options with the 2020 Barracuda Bay and Creator sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 7/5/2020 at 2:36 AM, Brandon Pea said:

But it's good for display purposes. Looks amazing!

Yup, it's looking good from the outside.

On 7/5/2020 at 7:22 AM, TeriXeri said:

Looks like a cool set to somehow motorize and use in something like a garden swimming pool, to make use of the floating hulls.

Also a nice set or template for a seaport layout, could turn in to 2 ships as well.

Totally.  There is quite a bit of space to add power functions between the deck and the hull.