Sign in to follow this  
Mechbuilds

Quick question about servo placement.

enJEgiQl.png

The gear can only turn 45 degrees that's why the servo turn mechanism. But the servo is sticking too far at the back. 
Is it possible to flip the servo 90 degrees so it's pointing upright? Any idea what mechanism would allow this? 
What i mean is that the rear part of the servo (with the wire) would be pointing up and the front of the servo is pointing downwards. 

My suggestion is - always use direct connection - only one gear and gear rack to prevent slack as much as possible. You can always connect gear 12 tooth directly near servo and use one liftarm behind it since servo has number of connection points...

You can also turn it upside down and have 2 studs shorter setup (based on image above)

1 minute ago, I_Igor said:

My suggestion is - always use direct connection - only one gear and gear rack to prevent slack as much as possible. You can always connect gear 12 tooth directly near servo and use one liftarm behind it since servo has number of connection points...

You can also turn it upside down and have 2 studs shorter setup (based on image above)

Can you whip up an example? 
But i kinda know what you mean. 

Also i kinda figured out how to implement the servo on top of the gear which needed some chassis modifications but i still could keep the mechanism. 
This thread can also stay as an educative purpose if somebody else has the same issue. 

I just realized that the gear is allowed to turn only 45°. So my solution won't work for you. But in the end you can just turn your whole mechanism and just add the two pins with pin holes. Will that work for you?

servo_upright.png

The servo is the only thing you can reposition in this case.. The gear rack is inside the chassis.. 
SsFM8g7l.jpgD8w5VmJl.jpg
ku4udQYl.jpg
Lkr7TbIl.jpg

I found out i could reposition the servo on top in this case.. Will need to carve a hole in my cab but it's worth it for a stiff solid structure and room in the back so my rear axle can fit. 
Only issue is poor steering lock but i can't make it sharper because the tyre would collide with the springs.. And if i flip the tyres, then the rear axle will be too narrow.. 

So i'll go with smaller scale and poor steering but functional model.