19 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

New update - both the Elvis and World Map Art sets will be released in August (from this site).

I'm very interested in how the world map is going to look.

Not surprised it would be released in August (seems like there is a clear schedule for Art sets) but it still is a pretty long wait. Though it'd be nice if LEGO could do some smaller mosaic sets though (instead of just releasing a small number of large mosaics every year)

The Art sets are great. The world map should be a stunning set, although having to buy 6 sets will make it very expensive! 

4 hours ago, Turbulence said:

The Art sets are great. The world map should be a stunning set, although having to buy 6 sets will make it very expensive! 

Are pictures out somewhere?  Don’t see any on #legoleaks

Update:

Elvis and the World Map are still both scheduled for August 2021.

The World Map was at one point saying it would cost US$279.99, but has now stopped.

Elvis, in contrast, had no additional information.  However it now is said to be going to cost US$249.99, and will have a record breaking 11695 pieces!  I realise that the vast majority will be 1x1x1/3 round plates, and these can’t all be used at once, but this is an insane price still.  The PPP is twice as good as the first 4 art sets, at about 2.3 cents per piece.

All info as usual from this site.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the elvis set. Sounds great and the piece count will make this an incredible set. Wonder if it will still be a combination build with alternatives or if it will just be one build? 

Wonder what the plan will be for the world map? 

There's a picture of the World Map floating arround.

Weirdly, the landmasses are monochrome while the oceans are coloured according to diverging tectonic plates (?). The map projection seems like a Miller Cylindrical Projection.

Also, 11695 pieces! The Colosseum didn't last long as the largest set.

Just now, Kaanere said:

Weirdly, the landmasses are monochrome while the oceans are coloured according to diverging tectonic plates (?). The map projection seems like a Miller Cylindrical Projection.

I saw that yesterday and I'm a huge fan of the Art range but felt a little underwheled with the set. I'll still get it but thought they could of added more colour

One person's repetitive is another person's meditative. It's not for me either, but fair play if you like it 

When I first heard about this, I thought they would do a 2.5D style map, like the Middle Earth map on Ideas. It feels like a missed opportunity to do that, as it would be different again from the other art sets. I know scale would be difficult, but something exaggerated would have been fine. Small boats in the oceans, planes in the sky, maybe some key landmarks around the world.

I think the scale of the map makes it difficult (since it takes 11k pieces just to get the level of definition in the picture that they want), but it’d be fun to see them start doing more with the LEGO Art theme than just the 2d mosaics

I honestly thought they’d go with more traditional world map colours for it; it looks bland and oddly coloured, like a thermal image version of a map. 

The map looks so weird. I don't understand the colors or the dark gray borders, are they trying to create a fake 3D effect? I was quite sure that I'd buy this, but no. Different shades of green/brown (land) and blue (water) would have been better.

Bricksie on youtube has just released a vlog on the set and it looks a lot better with the official images. Definitely growing on me 

With the IDEAS Earth Globe approved, I'd rather wait to see that first.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, Turbulence said:

Bricksie on youtube has just released a vlog on the set and it looks a lot better with the official images. Definitely growing on me 

Yeah I'd agree with you there, at first I was really disappointed but now...

The actual studs used in the mosaic total 10240 (40 16x16 panels).

Edited by Vilhelm22

What do people think is the weirdest inclusion/exclusion on the map? I'm surprised by what I can only assume are the Andaman and Nicobar Islands west of Thailand.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:53 AM, MAB said:

Doctor Who is nothing compared to these, same with many smaller licenses. Plus which Doctor? Or all of them possible in one set. I cannot really see lots of people buying enough sets to make all of them at the price. Lord of the Rings is similar - too many important characters to do, and just a few won't work so well.

While most of your points are well-taken, I do think the question of “which Doctor?” has an obvious answer, given that it’s LEGO and that they offer multiple build options with these. If they were to do a Doctor Who LEGO Art set, they could very easily present it with options to do it with any of the Doctors, just as one can do different Iron Man pictures with that set.

I mean, your other points about why a Doctor Who one is less feasible / likely are still quite true (though hey, it’s still possible), but I don’t think difficulty of choosing one particular incarnation of the Doctor is by itself much of an obstacle to this set idea.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, JintaiZ said:

31202-1.jpg?201950

Huh, I hadn’t noticed the part before, but what’s the deal with that black element under the picture, just to the left of the gold minifigure crowbar? It looks like a double-wide brick separator.

Edit: I just read a review of the new map set, and I see that’s exactly what it is. I hadn’t really kept up with this line, so I didn’t know about that part until today... or about the 16x16 “Technic baseplate” elements (or whatever one calls them) used as bases in this line. Huh! Neat. Hmm...

On 5/17/2021 at 5:25 AM, Kaanere said:

I saw it! It’s certainly an unexpected choice, but I like it. It’s different, and deemphasizes the national boundaries and whatnot for natural features that are usually kind of ignored in big world maps like that. It gives it a distinctive point of identity among other world maps aside from simply being made of LEGO (even if that would have been enough).

I don’t expect to get it, though, simply because they already make far too many things that I want (and on occasion I even find myself spending money on things that aren’t LEGO - crazy, I know), but I’d be very happy to put it on a wall if I had it.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

After seeing official pictures,, the color choice does seem to make a lot more sense , and the white stands out very well when its next to larger solid areas of color (or empty), also probably stands out even moreso close up in person due to the white being Studs, not Tiles.

tn_31203_alt2_jpg.jpg

And this is how it looks just with continents filled in.

tn_31203_alt3_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

Oh my gosh... this World Map Defintiely gonna destory Colosseum for most pieces record!

as soon as I saw that official images, my eyes were widened in awe. I like this set!

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

After seeing official pictures,, the color choice does seem to make a lot more sense , and the white stands out very well when its next to larger solid areas of color (or empty), also probably stands out even moreso close up in person due to the white being Studs, not Tiles.

tn_31203_alt2_jpg.jpg

And this is how it looks just with continents filled in.

tn_31203_alt3_jpg.jpg

I 100% agree with you!

I was 100% in when I heard the rumor of a world map, but I really don't like the white landmass.  Now very much a pass after seeing this design choice.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm warming up to the colour choice on the world map, and having an 11k-piece set as a long term "sit down and relax" project sounds nice, but that CAD price tag puts this set on the "no" list for me at the moment. When looking at an expensive set, I sometimes justify the price tag by thinking that at least it's about on par with the USD price after conversion, so us Canadians aren't getting the raw end of the deal. I have no idea how early TLG determines prices for upcoming sets, but seeing as the USD to CAD exchange rate has been falling steadily from 1.44 to 1.21 over the past year or so, perhaps it makes sense that sets whose price was set months ago now seem disproportionately expensive.

Price discussion aside, I do find that the colour choice makes the set seem more artsy. I'm glad it's not the educational blue ocean and pastel countries look, but I wish we could have seen a satellite-view, real-life colours version.

I wasn’t sold on the World Map at first, but I must say I do really like the image where they customized the oceans. A bit annoying that the instructions don’t have that variation, but oh well. In general though I can see why it’s a very divisive set, the color choices are odd indeed. A good price though, certainly more approachable than what it took me to buy four Marilyn Monroes