Sign in to follow this  
RocketBoy

(N7 - Wayland - CFS) Mato IV: Along Old Lanes

*Your entry has earned 3 XP*

Mato's Tale:

Chapter IV

Their ship coasted through the atmosphere, breaking through the clouds into the world below. Farmland and rolling hills, covered in trees, stretched out below them. Shimmering blue lakes dotted the landscape.
                Mato, swelling with delight, launched himself from his chair and jabbed a finger at the view screen. He couldn’t hold it in.
                “Blue water! Finally!” he shouted.
                Yigs laughed.

After requesting clearance, Yigs brought the freighter down to a landing pad near the seashore. She lowered the ramp and Mato steeled himself to go out. Yigs came up along side him and couldn't help but notice the Weequay's jitters.
                “You ready to see your new home?”
                Mato nodded, unconvincingly. What if the people of Wayland rejected him? He wasn't like them. He came from an evil life, and had done evil things. He wouldn’t blame them for running him off the planet as soon as he’d arrived.
                Yigs' face suddenly came into view, smiling kindly. She held out her cloak.
                “Here, wearing this has always made me feel better. Put that thing on.”
                Frowning, he took the earth-toned garment from her and tied it around his neck. He had to admit, the weight and drape of the thing did boost his confidence just the slightest. He took a deep breath and they departed the ship.

800x849.jpg

A breeze blew across the landing pad, carrying the salt-scent of the ocean and the fragrances of flowers. Mato was so stunned by the smell that he stopped in his tracks and didn’t think to leave the ramp until Yigs urged him on. They passed droids and humans and non-humans working the small pad and then passed onto an unpaved road into a wooded vale. A Trandoshan and a Wookie spearfished in a nearby river. They cheered and waved when they caught sight of Yigs, while Mato stood a little ways back and watched.
                “Inseparable, those two,” she told him. “I’ve never seen a place where people genuinely like each other as much as on Wayland. Our leader, Ko-Yode (you’ll meet him soon) says that people in the Core Worlds despair because they’ve lost each other. They’re suspicious of their neighbors, estranged from their families, trying to get something from their friends. They try to dull the pain of not really having anyone. Out here, everyone found each other. Everyone lives for everyone else. There’s trust, and trustworthiness.”
                Mato understood. “It’s so . . . peaceful. Not like my homeworld at all. Is it all this . . . clean air?”
                “Well,” Yigs tilted her head. “It’s a lot of work, too.”
                They passed under wooded canopies accompanied by birdsong, crossed stone bridges, and walked besides patchwork fields and farmland where they were greeted by more colonists. 
There was nothing they saw at which Mato didn’t marvel. Except for when he was spooked by a butterfly, which Yigs thought was very funny.

He could not have imagined a place like this existed from his pit on Nal Hutta. It was as different as could be. Wonderful, new, frightening. It made his life up until now seem like a distant, dark dream.

800x1228.jpg

There must be something in the water if a Trandoshan and a Wookie are best friends! That's a rare combo.

I like the forced perspective in the second build, too. The low wall is a great way to disguise the gap.

Nice build here along with a good story that really brings you into the characters story,

5 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

There must be something in the water if a Trandoshan and a Wookie are best friends! That's a rare combo.

I like the forced perspective in the second build, too. The low wall is a great way to disguise the gap.

It's odd, huh? I guess that speaks to the community life in this one colony. 

Thanks! It was a butt to figure out and get right. I still wish I could have made it wider and have more of a background, but that's just something to remember for future stuff. 

3 hours ago, n1majneb said:

Nice build here along with a good story that really brings you into the characters story,

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I didn't anticipate investing as much as I have in the story, but I'm enjoying doing it. Trying to tell something that's straightforward and archetypical and has everything clearly spelled out, but still manages to be meaningful. Up to you guys how well I'm doing that. Thanks for reading!

Great story! And your build is nice too. A good use of a limited number of parts. I would replace some of the leaf pieces on the ground with 1x1 rounds in earth tones, but I understand not everyone has the collection for that.