Sign in to follow this  
suffocation

[wip] sort-of-Manitowoc-inspired lifty thing

My youngest nephew fell head-over-heels in love with the Manitowoc 31000, so this is the ab ovo stage of my half-arsed attempt at building something very, very loosely based on it.

The hardest part so far has been designing solid, form-locked modular tracks. They're geared down a mere 9:1 - far from realistic, but very playable.

1280x1373.jpg

1280x891.jpg

1280x940.jpg

1280x1574.jpg

1280x630.jpg

1280x713.jpg

1280x744.jpg

1280x762.jpg

Edited by suffocation

16 hours ago, suffocation said:

My youngest nephew fell head-over-heels in love with the Manitowoc 31000, so this is the ab ovo stage of my half-arsed attempt at building something very, very loosely based on it.

The hardest part so far has been designing solid, form-locked modular tracks. They're geared down a mere 9:1 - far from realistic, but very playable.

1280x1373.jpg

1280x891.jpg

1280x940.jpg

1280x630.jpg

In the above image, What is the invereted "U" shaped 5 x 5 part with blue pins in each corner ?

Edited by Doug72

I think it is a 5x7 frame. The grey axle runs in front so you can't see the bottom.

@suffocation Are you using any kind of track tensioning? It looks like the is very little slack, something I struggle with on tracked vehicles. Also I see you are using PU motors, is there a profile on the app which matches your motor setup?

8 hours ago, Doug72 said:

What is the invereted "U" shaped 5 x 5 part with blue pins in each corner ?

It's a black 5x7 frame :classic:

7 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

Are you using any kind of track tensioning?

Not yet. There seem to be very few track lengths where the tracks will sit just right and I just happened to chance on one here :laugh: I haven't tested the tracks under heavy load, though, so I may have to tweak things further down the line.

7 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

I see you are using PU motors, is there a profile on the app which matches your motor setup? 

Gonna use the BuWizz app, like I did here.