Simulterious

[P10 – Umbara - TT] Battle of the shadowy world!

Spoiler

*Your entry has earned 20 XP*

Part 1 - The invasion

The world of Umbara under siege! A world of critical importance for the war effort, Umbara has joined the Separatist alliance! The Republic sends a massive invasion force, hoping to break trough to the planet's surface and capture the enemy capital. Above the darkened planet looms a separatist defense fleet, led by the fearsome general Grievous! Leading the enemy fleet is his flagship, a Subjugator class cruiser - the Incursor! Although smaller than it's dreadnought cousin, it's ion cannons can still disable a smaller cruiser with a single shot.

49969573803_1fe854f84e_c.jpgBattle over Umbara! by simulterious, on Flickr

The republic command ship, the Liberty, faces off against the titanic Incursor! As the ships meet in a broadside, republic boarding parties attempt to board the cruiser, with the rest of the troops huddled in the ships hangar bays.

Spoiler

50065222286_093a289cc1_c.jpg

Venator interior [1] by simulterious, on Flickr

Spoiler

50064674523_86cb552d02_c.jpg

Venator interior [3] by simulterious, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the boarding parties are met by Grievous himself.

Spoiler

50065237376_f56bf82072_c.jpg

Subjugator interior [1] by simulterious, on Flickr

Spoiler

50064683308_b3a7f49605_c.jpg

Subjugator interior [2] by simulterious, on Flickr

Spoiler

50065245431_bfc084e169_c.jpg

Subjugator interior [2] by simulterious, on Flickr

Part 2 - Storming the enemy

While the battle rages on, several gunships manage to break the blockade and touchdown the shadowy surface of Umbara! The 501 legion led by general Anakin skywalker lead a lightning strike on the umbaran positions! Several divisions of clones manage to fight trough umbaran artillery and secure the zone. Now, dug into the trenches of the alien world, the troops await further orders.

49981224926_55842f2e0c_c.jpgStorming Umbara [5] by simulterious, on Flickr

49941867318_56c7a8898c_c.jpgStorming Umbara [3] by simulterious, on Flickr

Part 3 - Marching to the capital

As the battle continues, Anakin Skywalker is called back to Corruscant. His replacement - general Pong Krell! After butting head with it's commanding officers, he marches the clones deeper into enemy territory...

50064627953_8bd671318e_c.jpgMarch on umbara by simulterious, on Flickr

Spoiler

Behind the scenes

Here are some more shots of the capital ships, vehicles and the ground mocs.  The venator and the Subjugator are fully custom, and the Venator features working cannons and a carrying handle. The same goes for the saber tank and AT-RT. In the space battle, there are small Z95 headhunters and Vulture droids visible. As they are just slightly altered official sets and mostly background noise, I have omitted them from this section. To be honest, the Venator interior is kinda cramped but I still included it to have some balance (insert Thanos quote here).

50064660408_9f14de42f3_c.jpgRebublic vehicles by simulterious, on Flickr

50064627633_c60bc114d1_c.jpgVenator 1 by simulterious, on Flickr

50065445457_c14f33e20e_c.jpgVenator 2 by simulterious, on Flickr

50065448012_3737a8acd9_c.jpgSubjugator 1 by simulterious, on Flickr

50065441987_427099ffb2_c.jpgSubjugator 2 by simulterious, on Flickr

49942380721_055efa0e67_c.jpgStorming Umbara [4] by simulterious, on Flickr

49941854938_17129aa72d_c.jpgStorming Umbara [2] by simulterious, on Flickr

49629289948_409ceb3c98_c.jpgMarch on Umbara by simulterious, on Flickr

I read this in the voice of the Clone Wars episode recap guy. Great stuff!

I really like your lighting on Umbara. It's really nicely done. Hard to light a black build to make it work well, but you've managed!

How recently did you get that Pong Krell? One of my guys was looking at one recently, but it was purchased before he could splash out.

Just now, Ross Fisher said:

I read this in the voice of the Clone Wars episode recap guy. Great stuff!

I really like your lighting on Umbara. It's really nicely done. Hard to light a black build to make it work well, but you've managed!

How recently did you get that Pong Krell? One of my guys was looking at one recently, but it was purchased before he could splash out.

Got it on release, but I have a spare one that I could sell...

Those capital ship builds are mindblowing. Super polished, great work. I also love the very last picture on Umbara. Great use of colors, composition (especially the droid overhead).

Really nice capital ship builds, the additional imagery really helps sell the scene!

Nice interior detailing on these too, and then when you hit the surface! as @Ross Fisher says above, really nicely lit and detailed, yet dark still.

Having watched these eps working through TCW on Disney+ its fresh in my head and these: straight from the screen!

So much to process in this entry. I almost feel you should split it into two. A space battle and the ground battle.

The capital ships are great - especially the Venator. I feel the CIS ship could be a bit smoother, but it is really good none the less.

Just a comment on the interior - that doesn't really work. Mostly because of scale. I think you could make another moc, more to scale, showing what happens on the inside...

The trans blue pieces for explosions on the black ground works really good as well...

Edited by Darth Bjorn
Comment on interior

On 7/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, Darth Bjorn said:

So much to process in this entry. I almost feel you should split it into two. A space battle and the ground battle.

The capital ships are great - especially the Venator. I feel the CIS ship could be a bit smoother, but it is really good none the less.

Just a comment on the interior - that doesn't really work. Mostly because of scale. I think you could make another moc, more to scale, showing what happens on the inside...

The trans blue pieces for explosions on the black ground works really good as well...

Yeah I just threw in the interiors because I had them and wouldn't be able to include them otherwise. They're more like neat easter eggs than a important part.