5.  Firespeeder

6.  Porax-38 (P-38) Starfighter

7.  Homing Spider Droid

8.  Hardcell Transport

9.  Lucrehulk-Class Battleship 

10.  C-9979 Landing Craft 

11. Droid Tri-Fighter

12. Geonosian Starfighter

13. Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery (SPHA-T) (NEW)

Hello again everyone

I hope everyone is safe and well.  It is time to open up another thread with MINIs from the neglected prequels.

GUNGAN BONGO

First up, the Gungan Tribubble Bongo from Ep. I.  I had the model from the original LEGO Star Wars video game in my collection for a long time:

bongo.jpg

I had been meaning to build one myself for a while as this just looked so big on the stand next to Jar-Jar!  The lockdown gave me the time and the opportunity.

I decided to use the 2x2 transparent domes (astromech head) for the bubbles.  I have seen a lot of models use transparent dishes but they just look too flat in my opinion.  In essence, for the most part, this is a scaled down version of the model above with some newer parts.  There are no clever techniques or anything like that but it looks quite striking on the stand with the Jar Jar minigifure and adds some colour to the collection.

bongo1.jpegbongo2.jpegbongo3.jpegbongo4.jpegbongo5.jpegbongo6.jpegbongodisplay.jpeg

SITH INFILTRATOR

Secondly, The Scimitar (again from Ep. I), also known as the Sith Infiltrator, which was a heavily modified Star Courier and the personal starship of Darth Maul.

Like the Bongo I had previously had a LEGO version in my collection, a modified version of the Microfighter convention model from years ago.  Again, this just looked big on the stand so with time on my hands I built my own.

capture.jpg

The nose section is not built using the normal wedge plates technique as there is not the correct size or gradient for this scale (nose is 4 studs wide).  Instead I have used the 1x4 plate with offset and 1x8 tiles to create the dagger shape.  A 1x3 plate holds the nose construction in shape towards the nose.  There is also a 1x1 round plate with hole on a jumper plate underneath the 1x6 dark grey tile holding that in place.  Apart from that no clever techniques really. The bottom dish is held there by the stud on a technic half pin which is in the holes from the round plates.

And yes, I know the top dish is cracked (it is old) if you have spotted that.  I have tried to hide this with the colour picker function in paint – I will have to order another from bricklink.

I love how this one looks on display with Darth Maul and his probe droid.

sithinfiltrator1.jpegsithinfiltrator2.jpegsithinfiltrator3.jpegsithinfiltrator4.jpegsithinfiltrator5.jpegsithinfiltrator6.jpegsithinfiltratordisplay.jpeg

Let me know what you think.

More soon.

Jon

Edited by obijon

Excellent work as usual. I really love the Bongo, it’s great to see it in your collection!

These are both very well done, although I'm partial to the scimitar. One of the best prequel designs ever IMO, and you translated it perfectly at that scale.

Thanks guys.  People can say whatever they want about the prequels but they have to admit there are some lovely designs.

Hello again everyone

I hope everyone is safe and well.  This time 3 models based on/modified from the original LEGO Star Wars Video game way back in 2005 (I think!). these models have been knocking around for a while so i am posting them now for completeness sake. They are basically "tarting up" the basic models from the game.

NUBIAN ROYAL STARSHIP

Firstly, the The J-type 327 Nubian Royal Starship (also known as the Naboo Royal Starship) from Ep. I was a starship used by Queen Amidala, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, during the Invasion of Naboo.

Here is the model from the video game:

royal_ship01.jpg

This was too big for my tastes so I shortened and narrowed the design.I also completely redesigned the cockpit/bridge section and changed the engines.  It is still a bit big (I have been tinkering with plates to replace the nose but not happy with any combination yet) but I really like how this looks with the Queen Amidala figure.

nubian1.jpegnubian2.jpegnubian3.jpegnubian4.jpegnubian5.jpegnubian6.jpegnubiandisplay.jpeg

WOOKIEE CATAMARAN

Secondly, The Wookiee Catamaran (from Ep. III), The Oevvaor jet catamaran was a dual-purpose airspeeder that saw heavy use in the Battle of Kashyyyk.

catamaran01.jpg

Not a major overhaul on this one.  Colour scheme, some added panels and a bit more detail on the engine

s.wookieecatamaran1.jpegwookieecatamaran2.jpegwookieecatamaran3.jpegwookieecatamaran4.jpegwookiecatamaran5.jpegwookieecatamaran6.jpegwookieecatamarandisplay.jpeg

FIRESPEEDER

Lastly, (again from EP. III) The emergency firespeeder, also known simply as a fireship, was a designated fire suppression speeder and thus was designed to transport large amounts of water and other fire-retardant agents to douse flaming structures and vessels.

emergencyship01.jpg

This was really just adding more detail to the model.  Changing the cockpit, adding the emergency lights and changing the fire hoses.

I have also built a Firespeeder pilot minifigure out of official parts.

firespeeder1.jpegfirespeeder2.jpegfirespeeder3.jpegfirespeeder4.jpegfirespeeder5.jpegfirespeeder6.jpegfirespeederdisplay.jpegfirespeederpilot.jpeg

More original models soon

Jon

P-38 STARFIGHTER

Hello again everyone

Staying with the prequels this time I present the P-38 Starfighter which is seen all too briefly in Ep. III.   It is seen more in the Clone Wars and a modified version in The Mandalorian which reminded me of this ship.  However, it does “appear” first in Ep. III so it is in this thread!

The Porax-38 (P-38) starfighter was a tough, hyperdrive-equipped starfighter used by the Utapauns as part of the Utapau Skyforce. Some models were adapted by the Confederacy of Independent Systems who had the cockpit modified for an IG-100 MagnaGuard.

There are no real tricky building techniques on this one but I do like those drill pieces. The cockpit is built on a headlight brick attached to a 1x1 bracket to get the shape right with those two trans-black cheees slopes.

I do like the look of this one on the stand with the Magnaguard figure.

As usual please feel free to let me know what you think.

More soon

Jon

p-381.jpegp-382.jpegp-383.jpegp-384.jpegp-385.jpegp-386.jpegp-38display.jpeg

Hello again everone

Continuing with the prequel models this time i present a couple of little models from Ep. II Attack Of the Clones.  Whilst I have said previously that there are some lovely desings from the prequels these two aren't any of them!

HOMING SPIDER DROID

The OG-9 homing spider droid, also known as the spider droid, was a model of large, four-legged battle droid manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop. They were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars, and saw use at the First Battle of Geonosis.

This model is built using the modified 2x2 plate with the octagonal fram around to attach the legs and eye.  It is held together through the middle with a 3L bar.  The legs are attached using the bar claw pieces and technic pins.  The legs can move up and down and the feet are also articlulated so this little model can be posed. 

homingspider1.jpeghomingspider2.jpeghomingspider3.jpeghomingspider4.jpeghomingspider5.jpeghomingspiderdisplay.jpeg

HARDCELL-CLASS TRANSPORT

The Hardcell-class interstellar transport,also known simply as the Hardcell transport, Techno Union, or Techno Union starship[1], was a model of transport manufactured by the Techno Union and utilized by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Battle of Geonosis, the opening battle of the Clone Wars.

This model uses a lot of technic pieces - pulley wheels and that triangle piece - built along an umbrella stand piece.  Quite a simple little build.

This one also comes with a brick built custom Wat Tambor minifigure.

More soon

Jon

hardcell1.jpeghardcell2.jpeghardcell3.jpeghardcell4.jpeghardcelldisplay.jpegwattambor.jpeg

Edited by obijon

Hello again everyone

2 models today from my lockdown building binge which I have finally completed.  We are going back to Episode I with these two.

Jon

LUCREHULK-CLASS BATTLESHIP

Firstly, the Lucrehulk Trade Federation battleship used to blockade Naboo.  This was one of those Eureka moment type builds.  I was building a Hidden Side set (School Bus) with my son when I saw the pieces used for the wheel arches.  Not being a real expert on new parts – I learn when I build these sets with my boy – I wondered if theses wheel arch pieces came in grey and hey presto!

The trick with this build was how to attach the bottom part of the hull.  They are simply attached using technic pins in the stud holes in the bottom of the arch pieces.  The gaps are then filled in with 1 x 1 round plates and this also gives the greebling effect between the top and bottom sections.  The 4 quadrants are joined using 2 x 3 plates and Bob’s your Uncle.  I am pleased with how this one turned out as it was a bit of an experiment at first and looks good with Nute Gunray on display..

lucrehulk1.jpeglucrehulk2.jpeglucrehulk3.jpeglucrehulk4.jpeglucrehulk5.jpeglucrehulk6.jpeglucrehulkdisplay.jpeg

C-9979 LANDING CRAFT

Secondly, sticking with the Trade Federation theme, the C-9979 landing craft, also known as the Trade Federation landing ship or the Separatist landing craft, was a large landing craft built for the Trade Federation's military forces and used to land their forces on Naboo.

There are no real building tricks for this one. The 2 x 2 corner plates and a 1 x 3 plates are used to attach the front wing so the detail can be added for the front but that’s it really. 

Quite a nice looking little model and does the job.

tradefederationlandingship1.jpegtradefederationlandingship2.jpegtradefederationlandingship3.jpegtradefederationlandingship4.jpegtradefederationlandingship5.jpegtradefederationlandingship6.jpegtradefederationlandingshipdisplay.jpeg

DROID TRI-FIGHTER

Hello again everyone

Continuing with the prequels and the Separatist theme from the last two models this time I present the Droid Tri-Fighter from Ep. III.

I have said in the past that I don’t build around “gimmick” pieces (building a model using a piece for the sake of it).  Whilst this is true sometimes there are Eureka moments.  Whilst playing Star Wars  battles with the many advent calendar sets we have with my son I realised that the ball turret used for the Ion Cannon would be perfect for the droid brain of the Tri-Fighter.  I looked on Bricklink and found a transparent piece (it is glow in the dark) and hey presto!

The 3 arches of the model are created using technic triangle pieces, click hinge pieces and clip and handle plates.

An umbrella stand piece and a round 1x1 brick then attaches the front of the turret piece to the rest of the model and the 2x2 base of the turret is attached to the back of the model using 2x2 round plates and a bar through the axle holes.

As this was not a conventional build one of the hardest parts was working out how to attach it to the display stand.  There is an old circular wrench piece at the back of the model the handle of which slots into a technic pin.  The turret piece then rests on a cylinder for support.

I like how this one looks with the Buzz Droid.

Let me know what you think about this one and any of the others in this thread.

More soon.

Jon

PS. Model has been updated to include the sensor eyes.

Droidtrifighter1.JPEGDroidtrifighter2.JPEGDroidtrifighter3.JPEGDroidtrifighter4.JPEGDroidtrifighter5.JPEGDroidtrifighter6.JPEGDroidtrifighterdisp.JPEG

Edited by obijon

16 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Another great model - that ball socket is the perfect solution for the cockpit.

Thanks again.

13 hours ago, Corydoras said:

Hmm... Not a fan of this one. It's desperately missing its eyes.

I have now added the "eyes" and updated the pictures in the original post.  I am not sure if I prefer it like this but I suppose it is more accurate.  I have used trans-red cheese slopes attached to a brick with studs on 4 sides.  This was the only way I could see of doing this as the central part needed to have a hollow stud due to the construction method.

3 hours ago, macaron35 said:

it's amazing how it could be minimalistic and detailed at the same time

Thank you.  I do try and get as much detail as I can in these little models.  Sometimes compromises do need to be made though at times.

A few things:

These are all great, of course, I especially like that Lucrehulk.

The spider-droid is amazing too, I don't know why but I really liked that it has a different stand.

I'm stealing your Wat Tambor design for my own collection. :laugh:

The tri-fighter looks a bit better now that you've added the "eyes". The tri-fighter is such a strange shape that it's never going to be gone all that well at that scale, but this is as good an attempt as i've seen so far.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:39 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

These are all great, of course, I especially like that Lucrehulk.

The spider-droid is amazing to, I don't know why but I really liked that it has a different stand.

Thanks, I thought these two had got ignored.:pir_laugh2:  I really enjoyed building the Lucrehulk as it was a bit of an experiment at first.

I'm stealing your Wat Tambor design for my own collection. :laugh:

Go for it.  That's why we share these creations after all.

The tri-fighter looks a bit better now that you've added the "eyes". The tri-fighter is such a strange shape that it's never going to be gone all that well at that scale, but this is as good an attempt as i've seen so far.

thanks again.  Maybe it does look better.  It does not flow as well with the eyes but it is more accurate.  It is a tough shape to get without the model becoming too big.

GEONOSIAN STARFIGHTER

Hello again everyone

Back to a live action model this time with the Geonosian Starfighter from Ep. II.  I have been meaning to build a version of this for a while.  I previosuly had a slightly beefed up version of the model that came in the advent calendar in my collection but it was starting to look small so I decided to build a larger version.  At first I was hoping that the surfboard piece came in brown but alas no so I  decided to build the needle shaped craft using plates and jumper plates to get the shape.  Dimensions wise it is pretty spot on when compared to the reference materials.  The top and bottom "needles" are attached with two bricks with studs on four sides which allows the gun and engines to be attached.  I have added some dark orange to the brown to get the colour scheme.

Anyway a pretty simple technique but an effective little model.  Quite a cheap one too as i already had the minifig!.

Let me know what you think about this and any of the others.

Jon

geonosianfighter1.jpeggeonosianfighter2.jpeggeonosianfighter3.jpeggeonosianfighter4.jpeggeonosianfighter5.jpeggeonosianfighter6.jpeggeonosianfighterdisplay.jpeg

Edited by obijon

A shame the surfboard doesn't exist in brown, I would've been very interested to see your solution with that piece. Nevertheless this is another great model, you've absolutely nailed the shaping!

I love all of these, except for the Wookiee Catamaran. I think the video game model is highly inaccurate and needs a bigger overhaul, so I tried to build one myself in LDD:

1OnLSMi.png

Thanks for the compliments guys. 

21 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

I love all of these, except for the Wookiee Catamaran. I think the video game model is highly inaccurate and needs a bigger overhaul, so I tried to build one myself in LDD:

1OnLSMi.png

The Wookiee Catamaran is on my list to be mothballed when I need the space in the display cabinet.  I agree the video game model, even with a few improvements, is not that accurate.  I like your ideas so I might use some of those if I decide to rebuild.

SELF-PROPPELLED HEAVY ARTILLERY TURBOLASER (SPHA-T)

Hello again everyone

The Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolaser (SPHA-T), also known as the Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery (SPHA), was a 12-legged gun platform manufactured by Rothana Heavy Engineering. They were the largest ground-based weapons used by the Grand Army of the Republic in the Clone Wars.

This one, like the first four models in this thread, again started out as just updating an old model (below) with new pieces:

spha-t1.jpgspha-t2.jpgspha-t3.jpgspha-t4.jpg 

However, after looking at more and more source references it became apparent that a complete rebuild was needed.   T

he original model was too narrow (5 studs rather than 4-wide for the body is better and allows more detail), the walker is not completely symmetrical – there is a troop platform on the right side of the walker for example, the detail at the rear with the “exhausts” and a complete rebuild of the turbolaser. 

This turned from replacing a few pieces (the new 1x2 semi-circle brick at the front instead of a 2x2 round brick for example) into a really fun project and I am really pleased with how this one turned out.  The 12 legs are attached 1 ½ studs apart on a 1x10 plate using the 1x1 round plate with open stud.

Jon

SPHAT1.jpegSPHAT2.JPEGSPHAT3.JPEGSPHAT4.JPEGSPHAT5.JPEGSPHAT6.JPEGSPHATdisplay.JPEG

That looks great, good work capturing the assymetry of the vehicle. The main cannon looks very accurate and the legs are simple yet effective and well positioned