Sign in to follow this  
SteamSewnEmpire

[moc] New Haven Steamlined I-5 class 4-6-4

Some people believe these were the world's most beautiful locomotives. This version is only 1,600 pieces, so it's pretty tidy for an engine rivaling the NYC J3a's in scale (it's a full 600 pieces smaller than my J3a design), and I am very happy with how it turned out (it looks a little plain to my eyes, but, then again, I'm not sure how a black locomotive could look anything but a bit dull next to the 490). I actually started this engine about 6 months ago, got about 70% through, and wound up completely forgetting about it. When I came back yesterday, I gutted the entire thing just to assure it was up to my current standards.

8dQn1Rq.jpg

vnrTt5D.jpg

L7KSdxD.png

tDXlhFE.png

PWGTyrk.png

93deXQg.png

yKj8gAn.png

Luzldef.png

OM9PqbK.png

EDeHaPx.png

So, the first question out of your mouth is likely "where is the rest of it?" The parts to finish the nose cone exist, they just aren't implemented into LDD:

2ZcTkka.png

I believe that with 4 of those, the front would look the proper blend of angular and smooth, like in the prototype. 

I have plans to do some of the Yankee Clipper stainless steel cars introduced in 1948 at some point, but need a little break for now.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Very nice, but Isn't it easy to make errors while ordering them? When I used LDD back in the days I often forgot something from the list.

7 minutes ago, gvb2003 said:

Very nice, but Isn't it easy to make errors while ordering them? When I used LDD back in the days I often forgot something from the list.

Not a clue. I'm too poor to build them.

Oh so you don't order it? I do think it is very nice anyways. You did a great job!

Added some additional details, starting with the three-port exhaust on the skylining (utilizing a part I've never conscripted into this role before):

uBsHDy3.png

Pumps to the rear of the last driver, right side:

XW6gmFN.png

Completely redone tender trucks to better match the prototype (also a technique I've never used before):

sQgZmBt.png

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Really like the job you did on this one. Any thought of selling the LDD file or plans?

Dave

4 hours ago, bogieman said:

Really like the job you did on this one. Any thought of selling the LDD file or plans?

If you seel enough you might be able to build the models, you have to have 20 great models that could be sold as instructions. 

On 7/1/2020 at 5:52 AM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Not a clue. I'm too poor to build them.

41 minutes ago, Coal Fired Bricks said:

If you seel enough you might be able to build the models, you have to have 20 great models that could be sold as instructions. 

One watchout: The process of designing a good looking steamer in LDD/LDraw/Stud.io is much easier than actually building the model and making it run. More often than not, especially for someone who is just starting (like me), what seemed to fit and look good in a digital model has unexpected issues (binding, curves, clearance, fragility) once built in real bricks. You would either need to be very clear and up-front to potential customers, or have someone build one for you to validate the instructions before putting it out there as paid instructions. But then you'd likely have to share revenue with the test builder. On that note, I'm sure there would be people here who would love to help you test these models. I myself might be interested :) 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:36 PM, Phil B said:

One watchout: The process of designing a good looking steamer in LDD/LDraw/Stud.io is much easier than actually building the model and making it run. More often than not, especially for someone who is just starting (like me), what seemed to fit and look good in a digital model has unexpected issues (binding, curves, clearance, fragility) once built in real bricks. You would either need to be very clear and up-front to potential customers, or have someone build one for you to validate the instructions before putting it out there as paid instructions. But then you'd likely have to share revenue with the test builder. On that note, I'm sure there would be people here who would love to help you test these models. I myself might be interested :) 

I'm sure there are folks on this forum who would be willing to be beta testers for building/verifying the models work, especially if they got the instructions (or simply digital files) for free while the finished versions would be pay to use. You probably will not get rich doing this, but you probably would make enough that you could build some of the models in real bricks.

Just now, zephyr1934 said:

I'm sure there are folks on this forum who would be willing to be beta testers for building/verifying the models work, especially if they got the instructions (or simply digital files) for free while the finished versions would be pay to use. You probably will not get rich doing this, but you probably would make enough that you could build some of the models in real bricks.

Yes, especially if it is just validating the soundness of a build, as you can go hog-wild with colors. As said, happy to offer that service (@SteamSewnEmpire)

Edited by Phil B

On 7/3/2020 at 5:36 AM, Phil B said:

I agree! With all my digital builds, the actual LEGO building process are usually met with hurdles that requires more optimisation. I get asked for some of my LDD instructions but I have yet to make those new optimisation on the digital build. The worst part is, I have to go through the steps one by one to compare and see where I made those changes. Quite a lot of work I would say.

Nevertheless, I think people here would love to test the models. ;)

I hope to see this locomotive in bricks.