Sign in to follow this  
robertgreen79

Getting into motorized Technic - Which set to start with?

Like the title says, I've been getting more into building technic and have been interested in starting with more motorized options such as remote control vehicles. I recently built this moc and love it, but would like to expand. So far I only have a few Power Functions L-Motors and nothing else (no batteries, remotes, etc). Is there a good "starter" set you'd recommend that would get me building? I'd like something that includes the needed motors, controllers, etc.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-28281/Horcikdesigns/lxf-rc-jeep-wrangler-expedition/

Thanks!

I'd suggest the recent set 42099 as a good starter.  You can then build the Rocky b-model and there are a few other worthy MOCs on rebrickable too.

But it uses control+ rather than power functions which limits the reusability of the RC parts.

Any power functions kits would of course have to be bought secondhand now.

4 minutes ago, amorti said:

Any power functions kits would of course have to be bought secondhand now.

There're actually 2 PF-equipped sets available from LEGO, 42095 and 42082. If you want to stick to Power Functions and don't want to jump on the Powered Up-bandwagon yet then I suggest to by 42095 and a Power Functions servo. It is a fairly cheap combination and you'll get a full set of parts that can be used to motorize an average vehicle. If you'd rather go with Powered Up then 42099 is a good choice, but this platform is a bit challenging yet to be used in MOCs.

Sets like 42042, 42043 & 42082 are great for seeing what can be accomplished with just one motor and a well-designed gearbox.

If it's RC cars you want then the ideal would be the crawler as it would have the V2 infrared receiver.

If you're just getting into motorized technic, I'd recommend against PF since for better or worse, it's already been retired. You may be able to get a few sets at reasonable price now, but it's going to get more expensive over time to expand your collection of PF parts. And the new PU/C+ stuff isn't compatible with PF.